• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowered level of OC drive..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

I don't know what has happened to me. Everytime I start overclocking, I never actually get to finishing it. Something's wrong, it's like the desire to go faster has all but [gasp]......faded? It used to be days of running nonstop, tweaking and testing voltages and frequencies and getting that wanted overclock fully stable with a sigh of relief. It's all gone!

What's also contributing to the problem is, I don't need all that enhanced performance for like anything! Anytime I aim for the goal, I end up getting all poetic and "reasonable", thinking all that extra oomph will go to waste and I can easily get by running....:shock: stock!?

Why buy a Ferrari to go to Walmart when a Corolla can get the job done, or even worse...a Prius? Efficiency and low power draw? Is this what an overclocker has become?

Age? Loss of ....what? I can't figure it out.
Help a man out, fellas..

View attachment 195957

A nice, tall, room temp glass of Everclear cures my blues and willingness to settle for good enough.

I'll be 56 in a couple months (no gray up top yet, though) and here, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-MHz-Too-much-is-enough?p=8050620#post8050620 I am tweaking my RAM till it hertz-megahertz even. It comes and goes for me. I'll be old and settled in with a slight OC on the chip and doing nothing more stressful than reading on my Kindle app. I blame Woomack for my current burst of OC energy. Reading his reviews got me all fired up this time, and it's been "Damn the torpedoes! Full ahead!" for a few days now. LOL. Girlfriend is less than sanguine regarding my latest obsession, though. Fast RAM doesn't seem to excite her much. :rolleyes:

Taco, the law of diminishing returns has set in for you. Experiencing some of that myself these days. I've got 10 years on Alaric. The CPUs these days are so fast out of the box you can hardly tell a difference after you overclock them. Just not worth the time and effort like it used to be. I find myself settling for the quick and dirty easy overclock these days whereas I used to expend huge amounts of time and frustration pushing things to the limit.

Maybe we should rename this site to "Overclockers in their Rockers".

I'm still learning a lot, so every MHz is more knowledge and a better grasp of the system as a whole, instead of disparate bits and pieces. Overclocking gives me more of a "feel" for what my rig is doing. And it's still fun improving on yesterday's efforts for me. The whole rig gets more responsive the more I tune it, so there is still a real world payoff for me, too. I guess my willingness to immediately get in over my head balances my low threshold for boredom. :screwy:

Trents, you're right about diminishing returns. I set some parameters in bios and start increasing voltages to make it stable and although I don't feel any difference in performance at all, there is this common hope that it *will* work faster now in *certain* scenarios that I haven't used it in. Of course it becomes quickly frustrating and the urge to go on gets quickly dissolved because of that. It would probably create more drive to make it work to the end if for example boot time went from 20 seconds to 5 seconds, but because this ain't happening, I get deflated quickly without making it through all the way..

I think Alaric's ram superclock is acting up again... :D double post

Or its around when we take db backups causing the double post. ;)

For most, there isnt a need to overclock really. You are right. Its good for benchmarking and you can see results there. And it translates to real world results when you are actually using the cpu.

Time for a purchase or a change of pace. A good purchase will sometimes spark the old drive back into gear and it doesn't have to be new gear, just new to you.

For a change try and find the most efficient clock you can. That is look for the highest OC with the absolute lowest voltage.

Tinker with P-States to get the best of both worlds. Lowest Idle draw with max clocks at full load. As far as what to do with all the clocks, simple, JOIN THE BENCHING TEAM!!!!

ED, I guess maxinun effect seen from iverclocking is when you do you intensive tasks, like rendering video.

Wrll, meanwhile just for the giggles, I set the lowest bclk it can take and 1volt vcore, all lowest multis, but I don't like it either. Now I really feel the difference and it's not a positive one, I feel like I'm back to my pentium days...
To be honest, I don't think x58 platform can be made super low power, unless it's turned off..

Benching team sounds like an interesting idea, but I don't have active connection to my rig, just using mobile..

ED, I guess maxinun effect seen from iverclocking is when you do you intensive tasks, like rendering video.

Wrll, meanwhile just for the giggles, I set the lowest bclk it can take and 1volt vcore, all lowest multis, but I don't like it either. Now I really feel the difference and it's not a positive one, I feel like I'm back to my pentium days...
To be honest, I don't think x58 platform can be made super low power, unless it's turned off..

Benching team sounds like an interesting idea, but I don't have active connection to my rig, just using mobile..

Good. Save your results to a flash drive and upload the results later. You can get better results with the interwebz off anyhow, along with many, many other things. :)

Okay, that s should be here:(moved from ram preference thread)

It's cold outside, so I decided to fire up the stove(my rig) and finish what I started. 3.6ghz ht on. Might as well since weather is cooperating. Without HT, I can easily prime 4hz without it, but when I turn on 8threads, temps(@80°) keep throttling my rig and I can never get through without multi dropping down to 12. That's happening at 3.8ghz even, and once it triggers throttle, it locks into that 12x until restart, so that kinda sucks.

I guess I'll be sleeping to the tune of a few fans and water pump tonight.

Perhaps I should explain why this 3.6HT is important. It keeps bugging me that I have i7 and don't use HT when overxloxing, so it's one of those unfinished business type deals. It helps when I render video, which I haven't done in a while tbh, but I want to have it enabled....just because. :chair:

I dont go for bleeding edge ( i used to run my system so one FSB higher would crash) my self any more but not far off from unstable . I used to spend 72+ hours priming before i would start to use a system . Now I find my nice safe 24/7 and save pushing it for benching where it doesnt need to be stable .
Try out benching It is really fun , I mess with benching alomst as much as I game .
( even benching older less expensive gear is really fun )

Side note a sig might help us with your overclock =) assuming Intel as you said HT =)

Back