• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Luxe, Swiftech/Corsair and EVGA hybrid setup help - going insane, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I got the H110i GTX today. It's nice, 280mm was bigger than I thought it'd be, but it fits.

I really dislike all the extra cables coming off the end of it. It's just, kinda sloppy. Not to mention now I need a 3 pin extender.

So the two fans plug into unit itself, and then a 3 pin comes off of that they want to plug into the mobo. When/If i go to change fans, they won't go through this same connection as the Riings require their own hub. Is that going to be a problem?

Last edited:
Also, I have the clearance to have fans on both the top and bottom of the radiator ... advisable to leverage?

And ... one more. This thing has a mini-usb to usb header connection. I'm actually surprised by this, but the Asus Rampage V, only has one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.1, both are being used for my case. What the heck do I do with this thing? Now I'm missing the Swiftech ... was not this complicated.

The USB cable is for your H110i to connect to the MB for the Corsair Link software.

Any fans can connect to the unit but they have to be Corsair's PWM since their stuff gets funky with 3rd party PWM Fans are used.

Push n Pull is the best configuration if you have the space and funds for it. Just in case, mix and matching fans isn't ideal.

Make sure you connect the USB cable...let's you change LED color and monitor the coolant temperature.

For my setup, I am using 4 Noctua NF-A14 ippc-2000 in push/pull. I have the fans connected to the CPU headers on the motherboard (1 splitter for each pair), and do not have the pump RPM sensor connected to anything. I keep the fans at 1500 RPM...and they are pretty quiet.

The link I posted earlier showed that for my system, having the radiator in front as intake gave the lowest coolant and CPU temps. My 5820K stays under 70 C with the 1Ghz Overclock for anything I can throw at it.

The USB cable is for your H110i to connect to the MB for the Corsair Link software.

Any fans can connect to the unit but they have to be Corsair's PWM since their stuff gets funky with 3rd party PWM Fans are used.

Push n Pull is the best configuration if you have the space and funds for it. Just in case, mix and matching fans isn't ideal.

Why isn't mixing fans ideal? I only ask because, If I'm going with those Riing's, I'm running out of "good" space to use those giant hubs that you have to use for the color changing ... bit of a pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you connect the USB cable...let's you change LED color and monitor the coolant temperature.

For my setup, I am using 4 Noctua NF-A14 ippc-2000 in push/pull. I have the fans connected to the CPU headers on the motherboard (1 splitter for each pair), and do not have the pump RPM sensor connected to anything. I keep the fans at 1500 RPM...and they are pretty quiet.

The link I posted earlier showed that for my system, having the radiator in front as intake gave the lowest coolant and CPU temps. My 5820K stays under 70 C with the 1Ghz Overclock for anything I can throw at it.

So the Rampage V has 2x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0 headers; however the ROG_EXT (for the Front Bay), steals one of the two and the other, I'm using for the case.

Can I split the USB 2.0 header to plug in the Corsair cable, or is there another option here?

Last edited:
Ok, talking about the fans ... I'm feeling a bit in over my head and not sure If I know what I'm getting into quite yet.

- My Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case has a PWM hub, supports like 8 fans, each of which has 3 pin connector on it.
- I have an Asus Rog Frontbay + Asus Rampage V.
- I am going to be putting several Thermaltake Riing RGB's into the case (1 on GPU rad, 4 on CPU rad, 2 in front of case) - which require using their own little hub (supports 3 fans per).
- Going to either use a NXZT Kraken X61 or Corsair H110i GTX.

... Ok, now the million dollar question, how does it all go together?

Some questions that come to mind:
1) Can you daisy chain the Riing's? There's a second 4 pin connector which I'd assume is the purpose of that? Nothing in the manual about what purpose that second 4 pin port does.

2) Can/should I use the case's hub to bring ALL the fans together?
* I'd assume there's a limit of power on whichever fan port I connect it to right?
* I'd think this is probably a bad idea as I wouldn't have granular control with the Front Bay right?

3) When using said Riing's (4 total) on the CPU radiator, will it be a problem hooking up 4 fans to CPU_FAN, or should I split 2 off to CPU_OPT?
* The manual says CPU_FAN supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W)
* Unless I can daisy chain the Riing's, I think I'd have to split them up in 2 sets of 2 (the TT hub supports a max of 3)

4) The case's hub says it's supposed to go to CPU_FAN. In the event I'm using that and/or CPU_OPT (based on #3 above) ... does it matter where the case hub goes?
* I'd assume they're planning on you hooking up the heatsink's fans to this hub and that's why they say to use CPU_FAN?
* In the event that I'm plugging the CPU rad fans into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, this only leaves 3 fans that need to hooked up, so I'd probably say skip the case hub in favor of having the control with the Front Bay.

5) The Corsair has its own built-in cabling for the fans, will bypassing these be an issue?

6) What if anything do I need to take into consideration for leveraging the Rog Frontbay properly outside of a couple of the aforementioned comments?

7) Do they make extenders for 5 pin fan connectors? The Riings use them and in order to hide these hubs, I'm going to need some longer cabling.

I know I'll fat finger my way through this, but I'm just scared of **** blowing up. Would love a sanity check on what I'm doing. Would be insanely appreciated!

Thanks all

Last edited:
Ok, talking about the fans ... I'm feeling a bit in over my head and not sure If I know what I'm getting into quite yet.

- My Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case has a PWM hub, supports like 8 fans, each of which has 3 pin connector on it.
- I have an Asus Rog Frontbay + Asus Rampage V.
- I am going to be putting several Thermaltake Riing RGB's into the case (1 on GPU rad, 4 on CPU rad, 2 in front of case) - which require using their own little hub (supports 3 fans per).
- Going to either use a NXZT Kraken X61 or Corsair H110i GTX.

... Ok, now the million dollar question, how does it all go together?

Some questions that come to mind:
1) Can you daisy chain the Riing's? There's a second 4 pin connector which I'd assume is the purpose of that? Nothing in the manual about what purpose that second 4 pin port does.

2) Can/should I use the case's hub to bring ALL the fans together?
* I'd assume there's a limit of power on whichever fan port I connect it to right?
* I'd think this is probably a bad idea as I wouldn't have granular control with the Front Bay right?

3) When using said Riing's (4 total) on the CPU radiator, will it be a problem hooking up 4 fans to CPU_FAN, or should I split 2 off to CPU_OPT?
* The manual says CPU_FAN supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W)
* Unless I can daisy chain the Riing's, I think I'd have to split them up in 2 sets of 2 (the TT hub supports a max of 3)

4) The case's hub says it's supposed to go to CPU_FAN. In the event I'm using that and/or CPU_OPT (based on #3 above) ... does it matter where the case hub goes?
* I'd assume they're planning on you hooking up the heatsink's fans to this hub and that's why they say to use CPU_FAN?
* In the event that I'm plugging the CPU rad fans into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, this only leaves 3 fans that need to hooked up, so I'd probably say skip the case hub in favor of having the control with the Front Bay.

5) The Corsair has its own built-in cabling for the fans, will bypassing these be an issue?

6) What if anything do I need to take into consideration for leveraging the Rog Frontbay properly outside of a couple of the aforementioned comments?

7) Do they make extenders for 5 pin fan connectors? The Riings use them and in order to hide these hubs, I'm going to need some longer cabling.

I know I'll fat finger my way through this, but I'm just scared of **** blowing up. Would love a sanity check on what I'm doing. Would be insanely appreciated!

Thanks all

After looking at the specs of the TT Riing, its Rated Current is 0.21A. Multiply that by 3 and with hub, you are good to go because that is still under the 1 AMP standard of the MB fan headers. The only issue is positioning that hub and opening the case just to change the color to the LEDs. It is also PWM controlled. Don't combine two hubs of fans to a MB fan header or you'll most likely blow it. Also, I couldn't find any info on that extra 5-pin header on their hub. My guess its another input for another Riing but not sure.

The TT Riing only work with the hub, AFAIK. They are 5-pin fan headers that plug into the hub. The hub than has a 4-pin header that you would connect a cable from and to the CPU PWM fan header.

Why not just grab this or that (Just released literally) and be done with it. Keep it simple with one company as most of the AIOs are pretty much rebranded anyways. My guess is the only difference is warranty periods and policies. Its possible they might implement some TT software, if it doesn't exist already, down the road that combines all the TT products together like other companies have (Corsair, NZXT). If you go with so many different companies, you'll have more software running in the background which could conflict with each other.

The only PWM controller I can think of that can handle many PWM fans per channel (30w) is the Aquaero 6. But that is a whole other monster as you'll have to do research on it as it can get complicated for its basic usage. Other than that, the other problem you might run into is the length of the PWM signal. If you split the signal too much and the cables are too long, you could lose signal strength which might run your fans at full speed by default in most cases.

I'm starting to see an issue here and its frustrating. Every manufacturer is making their own software, devices and plugs to work mainly with their own. Its a cluster F and they aren't so much universal with each other. It ends up being a cluster hellhole for the end user because you want the nice niche products from each company, than you have to install each of their software, cables, etc. Its just how things are nowadays so careful when purchasing a lot of stuff.

@GTXJackBauer - you rock, thank you!!!

- Ok, so don't combine the TT hub with the case hub, got it!
- The 5 pin is how the fans connect to the hub, the hub then connects to the mobo with a 4 pin. So the extra port is a 4pin ... which maybe you can connect that to an additional hub?
- Woah! I didn't know they had those! They're 120's though :-( but ... not a big deal, right? I see their water coolers on Amazon, but not with the RGB Riing's. Not seeing them for sale elsewhere?
- Absolutely agreed, I'd rather stick to a smaller set of companies ... If it's Asus + TT ... sold!!!

Thank you, now to find that damn cooler!

Damnit JackBauer ... now you have me set on getting the TT cooler. No info anywhere on availability ... I emailed them.

No more delays! :-(

I think I should just buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for now, until those TT's are released ...

I think I should just buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for now, until those TT's are released ...

The TT coolers with those fans just got released a few days ago. Give it sometime, you'll get your hands on them. Yes, go with the 212 for now till they have them in stock and than place the 212 in another rig or as a backup cooler. :thup:

The TT coolers with those fans just got released a few days ago. Give it sometime, you'll get your hands on them. Yes, go with the 212 for now till they have them in stock and than place the 212 in another rig or as a backup cooler. :thup:

Yah I got a response from them on Facebook (tried calling several times, no answer). They're saying within the next couple weeks.

So currently, I think the last big question I have is, what to do about needing another USB 2.0 header. Are there are nice/clean solutions to this? I guess I don't even know if the TT cooler will require this, so I can always cross this bridge later.

Thanks

Yah I got a response from them on Facebook (tried calling several times, no answer). They're saying within the next couple weeks.

Glad to hear that you finally got a response and these coolers will be up and coming shortly.

So currently, I think the last big question I have is, what to do about needing another USB 2.0 header. Are there are nice/clean solutions to this?

If you're out of USB headers, there is a USB expansion that I use myself.

Glad to hear that you finally got a response and these coolers will be up and coming shortly.

If you're out of USB headers, there is a USB expansion that I use myself.

Ya know, that bums me out a bit. That Asus X99 deluxe I had before the Rampage V ... had that expansion card with the mobo. Kinda crappy that the more expensive board doesn't come with one. Forgive my ignorance; however how does that work? It just lays in the case? Anything more elegant? Something that can plug into a PCI-e slot or anything? I guess I could just get some double sided Velcro or something yeah?

Looks like according to their non Riing model, it also has a USB hook up:
35-106-190-02.jpg

What case are you using again?

A USB connection with AIO coolers means that its most likely coming with Software to monitor and control the pumps, fans and monitor the liquid. AIOs are usually fit into water cooling friendly cases, mainly in the top portion of the case. Moving it else where might be tough for a CPU only loop but AIOs for GPU's are usually utilized for those locations.

Well, ordered the 212 and the expansion. Going on vacation this weekend for the week, so it'll all have to wait till I get home ... womp womp.

Thanks again for all the help! Hopefully I'm good to go; however I'm sure I'll be back soon enough after I finally get it all together.

- - - Updated - - -

What case are you using again?

A USB connection with AIO coolers means that its most likely coming with Software to monitor and control the pumps, fans and monitor the liquid. AIOs are usually fit into water cooling friendly cases, mainly in the top portion of the case. Moving it else where might be tough for a CPU only loop but AIOs for GPU's are usually utilized for those locations.

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, which is very water cooler friendly. Was planning on putting it at the top, and the GPU AIO cooler on the back. The USB cable may be slightly short though ... we'll see.

Hey all,

Well, finally got it all out together... And the riings are pointless. They give off no light outside of the riing so they are pretty worthless with my case.

So now I'm back in debate. I ordered a Kraken x61 but should I go swiftech? I don't like the idea of having to refill the water after 3 years. That and it doesn't support additional fans for a push/pull.

I'm not going to go crazy with OC but wouldn't 4x 140mm fans in push/pull out perform dual 140mms? The swiftech definitely looks better which is why I'm in debate. That and it's supposed to be more quiet too yeah?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Back