• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 SSD Question (Slot Speed/Adapters/Compatibility)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

My motherboard has this slot "M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3, supports M Key M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x2 (10 Gb/s)"
I can use a M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 x4 in this slot but it will only perform at ~800MB/s correct (given the ssd is rated above that)? On the plus side this will lower the max running temp right?

Alternatively I can use a addon card adapter and get full speed, however I do not want to restrict airflow to my gpu
Now I do recall seeing mining rigs that use cables on the pcie slot to get more space between units
If I can use a cable i could simple mod the way the card sits on the bracket and place it over a PCI slot and not restrict the airflow
possibly even rig it onto a 2.5" hdd slot if the cable is long enough
Suggestions and part recommendations?

I could place it above my gpu, but i have my Ethernet card there (onboard lan does not support WOL in linux)

That is correct, it will run around that 800MB/s speed.

Maybe it will lower temps, I don't know.

Seems like you are really overthinking things a bit with GPU and airglow and mining rigs and..... if you want full speed, grab a PCIe raiser card and give it a go. :)

checks board manual
if i want to use a pcie slot i must use the x4 slot, not the x16 slot; the x16 slot will run in x2 mode cause of my lan card
looks farther, wait a min my shot pcie slots are only X1, that would mean the M.2's X2 slot is faster right?
well these trade offs are annoying, 2 sata 3 drives in raid 0 are faster than 800MB/s right?

What would you do under these conditions
* Using the M.2 slot means giving up 2 stat slots (I have 1 empty)
* Storage space is not a concern
* Paranoid of wearing out the nand so I use a SSD as a boot drive and use a HDD for the other stuff (high density means longer life)
* I am stingy with money, but i am trying not to pay attention to the price at this stage
* By the time I upgrade my motherboard so i can get 3k+Mbps out of a M.2 there will likely be 30k Mbps drives on the market
Would you go for a high end 2.5" sata drive and purpose the old sata II ssd for something else (eg: firefox profile folder)
or use a M.2 drive and take the 800MB/s and not use put the sata II ssd in something else
The drives I am looking at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList...

...* Paranoid of wearing out the nand so I use a SSD as a boot drive and use a HDD for the other stuff (high density means longer life)
Everything I've read about SSDs indicates that 'wear out' is very unlikely. Perhaps with the very earliest models, but I don't think any M.2 drive fits that category. Does your SSD report remaining lifetime or total writes? I checked a couple of mine and estimated that they would reach the specified write limit in about 20 years. (They would likely sustain double that wear but I don't know if other old age issues might appear.) I'm pretty sure I'll replace them with something bigger and faster by then.

I don't understand "high density means longer life." Are you referring to HDDs? I would not expect the new high capacity drives to outlast the older drives because the tolerances required for the higher densities on the platter would seem to me to make them more susceptible to problems.

Correct Hank. Unless you are writing dozens og GB /day, you won't burn out the NAND on an SSD.

I don't understand "high density means longer life." Are you referring to HDDs? I would not expect the new high capacity drives to outlast the older drives because the tolerances required for the higher densities on the platter would seem to me to make them more susceptible to problems.
the wear/tear on the nand, the more nand the drive has the longer it takes to reach the write limit as there is more nand to wear out when compared to a one with less nand

Perhaps with the very earliest models
had one of those, hence the paranoia, I'd get like 3 or 4 months between RMAs with a stupid low write rate, eventually they "upgrade" me to a larger drive, but it was slower :(
it was a 16gb kingston ssd that was sata II; the one they "upgraded" me to is still in use in another system

Anyway i went ahead and ordered a M.2 last night
wonder what the sale price updated to
sold out; wait did i buy the last one?

Back