• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 Windows 10 Blue screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EnriqueCenteno

I built a pc weeks ago using:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MB Asus Hero VI
GTX 1080 ti
32 Ram ddr4 3000hz
M.2 Samsung 960 Evo Nvme SSD 500GB for OS

I installed Windows 10 home 64bit on the M.2, and everything went perfectly, games and programs were working fine for some weeks, but yesterday I was about to watch a video on YouTube but windows crashed & displayed blue screen saying Critical Process Died (or something near that), it restarted and took me to the bios.

So now I only can access to bios, and the M.2 is not always detected, it seems like wheb is detected it tries to boot wondows but fails and then the M.2 disappears from bios . Either way windows won't start. I kept restarting, removing the M.2 and put it in again, I updated the bios using the EZ-update so basically is the latest.

Could you kindly advise me what to do next?

Makes me wonder if something went wrong with the drive. Do you have another system you could test it with? Or maybe take it to a shop that can?
Have you tried to start Windows in safe mode? When it goes to start windows a few times it'll go into diagnostics. Does this happen? If so select advanced options>Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Startup Settings -> Restart. Then hit 4 or F4 to start in safe mode

Last edited:
I also think was the driver maybe, but I can't boot windows since the M.2( where windows 10 is installed) is not detected in the bios, sometimes it detects it but keeps getting me to the bios menu. Tonight I'm testing the m.2 in another PC ... I've read something about the firmware of the SSD, so I'm using a ISO to update it and we will see

That drive doesnt come with them (very very few do), so if you didnt put them on, they arent there.

If it overheated it should boot right back up.... unless it damaged the drive which is doubtful.

Id reseat the m.2..make sure you are on the latest bios, not "basically the latest", and go from there.

The MB doesn't come with an M.2 connector either, so the drive must be mounted to a PCIe adapter for mounting. Which may or may not have a heat sink.

Yes it does have an M.2
I'm leaning more toward the motherboard BIOS. I have a CHVI and it can be fussy even with SSD drives. It also wouldn't hurt to take the SOC voltage off of auto and set it to 1.1V

One more thing the 960 firmware update of late has had some serious issues. If Win10 is set to update FW for devices this might have been the cause of your issue as well http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-960-pro-firmware-3B6QCXP7-might-be-a-problem

Was this a fresh install? I had similar issues (not BSODs) installing and getting things to work after the install. Come to find out, cloning your SSDs causes issues in Windows. If you did clone, I would suggest a fresh install to start with.

As to why your drive intermittently shows up in BIOS, not sure about that.

Yes it does have an M.2
I'm leaning more toward the motherboard BIOS. I have a CHVI and it can be fussy even with SSD drives. It also wouldn't hurt to take the SOC voltage off of auto and set it to 1.1V

One more thing the 960 firmware update of late has had some serious issues. If Win10 is set to update FW for devices this might have been the cause of your issue as well http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-960-pro-firmware-3B6QCXP7-might-be-a-problem

Yeah, I typed in error when trying to look at the MB specs, wound up looking at a Z87 board........dumb.

Back