• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M$ Boot Problem...any help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChampsElysees

Registered
I'm running Linux now against my wishes, i seem to have a strange problem. I boot to WinXP SP1, and the modded boot screen appears and the bar rolls and all is well. Then, for a split second, the Blue Screen O' Death "physical memory dump" appears and the system reboots. Ran the recovery console from the SP1a install CD, did a /dir on the C:, and it couldn't even read the drive.

Ok, so I throw it in another XP machine, and it can see the hardware, but trying to browse it causes explorer to hang.

Also took off the FSB and VCore adjustments I had, no change. Not the processor or memory's fault. I'm sure if i reinstalled XP, it would work fine, but I don't want to lose all my data (120GB drive), nor do I have a spare HD.

Now, the #1 comp is running a bootable Linux-from-CD "Knoppix 3.1", somewhat alright but not like the windows I had. The linux can read anything and everything on that drive! M$ cannot! But as Linux is with NTFS, i cannot write to the drive through the bootable. Any help? Whats going on here??

one quick note...I've been lookin around the web for a problem like this, and in the M$ database, and I havent found anything with the same issues, maybe a few boot problem ones, but they're all usually solved with the WinXP CD

Did you enable NTFS support for Linux on your WinXP drive? I heard somewhere that Linux can read NTFS, but if you enable it it makes Windows unable to read data from it properly.

The Linux distribution I'm running is Knoppix 3.1 which is a 100% RAM drive with built-in NTFS drivers, there's no modding or writing to the WinXP drive, although this does seem to be a data read error problem, maybe with the paging file, not sure

Last edited:
Stupid me forgot to run chkdsk in the recovery console....once I got my brain together I ran it and solved the problem...I was the victim of a virus/trojan, as I booted into 20 new programs and uncountable number of popups upon opening IE. Anyone else with this problem, just post back, and beware when you fix it! :D

Back