• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M2 Boot Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nikado7

I've seen countless youtube videos where guys are booting their computers without the loading thing even showing, its damn near instant. I have a Z170 I built with an 850 pro with i3-6100, and identical 7700k systems z270 with evo 960's. I built a z270 i3-7350k computer with 960 evo overclocked to 5ghz. I also have a dell micro 7050 with a 7700t in it and 850 pro. All M.2 pcix benching the speeds they are supposed to in crystalmark. And every one of them boots the same mediocre pace. Windows logo spins around 2 times minimum on every one of them. All have windows 10. They have been that way since the install was brand new. They are UEFI, fast boot all that. Bios updated on everything. If I had to guess I'd say the nvme m2 drives don't actually seem any faster than a regular 2.5" ssd.

So what gives, what am I doing wrong? One of those 7700k computers is probably the slowest out of all of them for some reason.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Depends on the board and bios, whats installed... etc.

Tbough the m.2 drives are a lot faster in large file transfers, they dont 'feel' much faster in daily tasks.

I actually think regular SSD's are faster. I had an old lenovo desktop with an i3-3220 in it and I put an ssd in it and it was ridiculously fast. All 5 of the computers I did with m2's are nothing to brag about. What really gets me is the 2 identical 7700k computers I built are the slowest. They use Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 mobos with 16gb gskill ram and 960 evos. They are dogs. Theres youtube vids of guys opening 30 programs at once on an m2 drive and it flat out flys. These take 5 seconds just to open chrome. I just think I'm missing something on all of these m2 computers because I'm nowhere near the level these youtube guys are at.

Remember... M.2 is the connection end... NVMe PCIe based M.2 drives are MUCH faster than normal SSDs. Much faster than SATA based M.2 drives as well. So, there is that...

These are Nvme pcie based ssds.. Crystalmark is showing 3000MB/s on the evo 960's. I'm saying regular 500MB/s seem just as fast if not faster than all these computers. Something is going on and I don't know what or how all these youtubers are getting this instantaneous computer.

sometimes the uefi settings with secure boot can affect the boot times quite a bit

My guess is that the yt systems are NVME--and those are in another league as far as speed. There's a lot of confusion with the m2 format and moving ssds to the pcie bus, and even after a lot of reading, it's still a pretty decent mess that you have to wade through to get performance like that.

More cores makes a difference in boot times I think. You only have an i3.

my 4790K @5 ghz gaming system has a 960 evo, I still never see a window splash screen, it's just post beep, asrock splash screen, pop, desktop.
all the you tube guys are using a fresh install also.
and that's all I really get over sata........ sad.

my 4790K @5 ghz gaming system has a 960 evo, I still never see a window splash screen, it's just post beep, asrock splash screen, pop, desktop.
all the you tube guys are using a fresh install also.
and that's all I really get over sata........ sad.
This seems to be the product of boot time being established as some sort of metric for speed. I've never understood why there is an implied correlation between a fast boot time and a fast system. :confused:

Because as you have experienced, it doesn't exactly pan out like that in the real world, although I'm sure your nvme is faster than the sata drive it replaced.

There is barely any difference between SSD in boot speed. Typical SATA vs NVMe SSD will be like 1 second difference if all is optimized and OS isn't old with a lot of things at start. It's random read at start, not sequential. If NVMe can make x2 of SATA drive random read then will boot faster but still half of that boot time is not drive speed but what motherboard is checking during boot. All what matters are options in BIOS/UEFI and not many things added to startup. New boards have quick boot option which is passing all welcome screens, RAID ROMs and other things. It simply skips all additional tests and go directly to Windows. Many motherboards have additional stuff enabled for security reasons.

Other thing is that I wonder why all care so much about boot speed. Marketing is promoting SSD as lighning fast boot drives with high sequential bandwidth while most daily work is based on random operations and once you wait for OS boot then you work for a long time ( at least most PC users keep it running for couple of hours ) so who really cares about 1-3 seconds longer boot ?

Last edited:
NVMe SSDs slow down alot if the system is set to Raid over AHCI, this maybe causing your boot times to be slow you can switch from Raid to AHCI if your system is set to RAID.

Back