• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M2 SSD 2280 latest & greatest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never seen an SK-Hynix brand M.2 device... interesting. What did your research tell you......since you bought it. :)

EDIT: Feels expensive for what it is. There are less expensive available with similar performance and longetivity.

You can check this out
Doesn't seem like this place does anymore reviews of SSDs, or not since June.
What led me to this was reviews on the Samsung site, where they appear to be rapidly declining
If there's a "less expensive available with similar performance and longevity" then perhaps you might name them.

Last edited:
What led me to this was reviews on the Samsung site, where they appear to be rapidly declining
Unless it's a trusted reviewer/site, I largely take the general populous opinion on this stuff with a grain of salt. DOA's, sure...otherwise, salt block. Not sure what decline you're talking about, either...

Yeah, again, it looks like a solid drive like a slew of others, but, nothing great.

The latest and greatest are PCIe 5.0-based now and faster (on paper). ;)

What could one expect in daily computing on an average desktop?
As was the thing when SATA SSDs came around a decade ago, small file work and 4k r/w speeds are what you 'feel' more than the sequential r/w. But...........it depends on what you do as to what benefits you more. If you're using the drive to store/move large files those sequential r/w matter. But day-to-day activities, it's the 4k r/w (which hasn't dramatically improved from M.2 gens).

If there's a "less expensive available with similar performance and longevity" then perhaps you might name them.

Aren't the WD SN850X drives cheaper?
there's one... ^^

...ADATA Legend 970/900

....MSI 480 Spatium Pro

..... off the top of my head should be as/more performant with the same endurance (1200 TBW). LIke I said, it looks like a solid drive, but nothing outstanding, that Hynix. ;)

FTR: The review you quoted, PP, was from nearly 1.5 years ago (July of 2022). Things (pricing, the market with PCIe 5.0 drives) change over time. Again, it's not a bad deal, just not a great one looking around using today's data (pricing).

You got a nice drive and I know you will be happy with it. The price for what you got is indeed high. I just went to Newegg and selected about 13 different 2 TB NVMe's that are Gen4 x4. I took out all of the ones that do NOT meet specs and was left with about 6 solid choices with one of them being less than $90. There are other choices from name brands like Samsung, Silicon Power, Patriot, Corsair and MSI. Other brands have similar spec or better for lower cost like Western Digital, HP, Seagate, etc. I stopped looking after the first round of picks.

Please, enjoy your purchase. It's a good drive. Just know, that the question you asked would have served you best prior to the purchase.

Now go download as many games as you can find, edit every video out there and have fun.

Even the Samsung 990 pro
I probably would have purchased that if not for the 2TB being on backorder, and not about to pay $300 for a 4TB.
The Samsung SSDs just don't last many years before they're toast.
Post magically merged:

You got a nice drive and I know you will be happy with it. The price for what you got is indeed high. I just went to Newegg and selected about 13 different 2 TB NVMe's that are Gen4 x4. I took out all of the ones that do NOT meet specs and was left with about 6 solid choices with one of them being less than $90. There are other choices from name brands like Samsung, Silicon Power, Patriot, Corsair and MSI. Other brands have similar spec or better for lower cost like Western Digital, HP, Seagate, etc. I stopped looking after the first round of picks.

Please, enjoy your purchase. It's a good drive. Just know, that the question you asked would have served you best prior to the purchase.

Now go download as many games as you can find, edit every video out there and have fun.
Thanks, it's something new, and while the price point is a bit high, I like the 5 year warranty, which to me means they stand firmly behind their product while the Samsung is 3 year warranty.

I guess barely anyone noticed that Crucial T500 was released recently. It performs almost like PCIE 5.0 SSD - it's limited to 7.4GB/s because of PCIe 4.0, but everything else beats every top PCIe 4.0 SSD. Tests that base on daily applications and games are almost as high as on T700 or other PCIe 5.0 SSD. In comparison, PCMark 10 storage benchmarks are ~20% higher than on Samsung 980/990 Pro or some other most expensive SSD. Reviews will flood the web in the upcoming weeks but it's already widely available.
A big advantage over PCIE 5.0 SSD is that the T500 runs at lower temps and is not throttling with more standard passive cooling. The heatsink version in my tests has ~50°C, but I'm not sure if the sensor is correct. Either way, in touch, the heatsink is cool while the SSD is under load, so it seems true.

The Samsung SSDs just don't last many years before they're toast
while the Samsung is 3 year warranty
The 990 Pro has the same warranty period of 5 years and 1200 TBW (It's also $120). IIRC, most of their 'pro' line has been a 5 year warranty (900 series). They stand behind their product too... https://semiconductor.samsung.com/us/consumer-storage/support/warranty/

Not sure where you're looking, but don't hesitate to come here first next time so we can ensure you have all the facts to make the most informed decision you can. :)

Never seen an SK-Hynix brand M.2 device...
SK Hynix own Solidigm, which was Intel's flash SSD division until they sold it off. You could compare SK Hynix - Solidigm as a similar relationship to Micron - Crucial. One brand more consumer facing, the other maybe more OEM/B2B.

Hynix has mainly OEM/B2B, but also some consumer products. Solidigm has both consumer and B2B/datacenter SSD. I would say that KLEVV is for Hynix like Crucial for Micron - consumer and gaming memory and storage products.

While I had seen them before I didn't make that connection and took them to be a minor brand. The Solidigm transfer was widely publicised at the time they split from Intel.

It's because KLEVV is not widely available for some reason, and it was originally a Hynix brand, so it wasn't loud about it anywhere. They don't have many products, and this can be another reason. I try to get some of their RAM and SSD for reviews as it's top-quality stuff and something more interesting than another the same (even though always good) G.Skill, Kingston, ADATA, or other popular brands. However, their RAM usually has safe settings, so most kits have relaxed timings or too high voltages. Like the 8000 kit on the front page at 1.55V when 1.45V is more than enough for the XMP profile.
I reviewed multiple RAM and SSD from KLEVV, and all were, in the worst case, above the average, but most were performing very well, and there were no compatibility or quality issues.

Somehow Solidigm is not a popular brand, and while browsing stores like Amazon, it usually appears with results next to the cheapest and usually least recommended brands (not saying it's true; it just looks this way on Amazon). It's also never directly recommended by anyone or advertised as something special. I guess they focus on the server/data center products.

Back