• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M3A79-T Dlx Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Right now I'm having problems with this board on multiple levels.

One part that concerns me is that I can't use Dual Channel memory any more. Or at least it seems that way. Using my [chewed up] 940, memory must stay in Single Channel. Using a Regor 240, memory can be in dual channel. Using my new 1090T, it must stay in Dual channel. Any Ideas on this?

Note that I am using a beta bios for the 1090T, but for the 240, and 940 they were tested on the stable 1501 BIOS.

On both accounts for the 1090T and 940, I can boot, sometimes POST, 5% chance to get into an OS. No beeps will be played as well.

MemTest says that it works fine and will work on Dual Channel. (MemTest was performed on a different computer with the same memory that is in my computer now)

Did you mean?
Using my new 1090T, it must stay in Single channel. Any Ideas on this?

The only thing I can think of that might be difference is the cpuNB voltage.

There's also no L3 with the 240 but I don't see where that would make a difference unless the board is that touchy about the IMC. I'd bet the 240 IMC is a different configuration than the Phenom II/Thuban. Still can't imagine how that could make a difference - but with busted hardware who knows ...?

I just don't understand how the motherboard can be the culprit of Dual Channel failure. CPU, and Memory, that makes sense.

Also CPU-NB voltage is the same. At least the Thermal And Power Documentation says so at 2000 Mhz.

You set the cpuNB voltage to be the same? Just checking - default NB voltage is probably different for those CPUs - at least it is for the Phenom II X2's over the X4's.

Doesn't power come from the board as well as the physical connection between the CPU and RAM (with maybe a chip of some kind between them)? I don't know the details of the IMC-RAM connections so I'm just guessing there but I'm sure the power comes from the board.

I can't pin it down and, as an engineer, you'd never understand my ideas about it. When I was OC'ing and playing with settings on the 940BE I kept getting the sense it was as much about balance as it was about specific voltage, timings, etc - more of how they worked together than the specific details of any one component. I can't explain it any better than that - call me crazy ... :screwy:

No, I know exactly what your talking about.

No, I know exactly what your talking about.
I think somewhat like a (civil) engineer (shhh, don't tell anybody) even though I never had any formal training in it (but surveying 25 years you learn a LOT ;)). The concepts come naturally to me but I've seen so many in engineering that have degrees and licenses but are worse engineers than I am (in a lot of ways) because they just have no feel for the work - they're just doing it by rote from what they were taught. When I say something to them about "things not looking right" they think I'm nuts because I have no numbers to back up my statements. I'm glad to hear you're NOT one of those ... :)

Does the HyperTransport work between the IMC and Memory? If not, whats the bus that is there?

The HTL only connects the cpuNB, NB chipset, and SB - it's not involved in system memory at all except as it passes some data (destined for system memory) from the system to the cpuNB but the cpuNB/IMC takes it from there.

I can't remember seeing anything about the "RAM bus" and always assumed it was controlled through the IMC - but I'd still think there would need to be some type of interface between the IMC and the RAM sticks ...?

Yeah thats what I'm trying to figure out.

BTW, your HTL header is in the CPU. Its on a different part of it.

Yeah, after reading more I remembered why I had thought it almost has to be on the CPU. Opterons (NOT the s939 1xx series) have three HT Links, not just one. The other two are for intra-CPU communications on multi-processor systems. But they could put that into the NB chipset as well since multi-processor systems have different chipsets than consumer rigs.

Anything I should read to see how that works? In my searching I've never been able to find any proof that it was on one or the other - just vague hints here and there, which seem to conflict ...

I just don't understand how the motherboard can be the culprit of Dual Channel failure. CPU, and Memory, that makes sense.

Also CPU-NB voltage is the same. At least the Thermal And Power Documentation says so at 2000 Mhz.

You wouldn't think so but my experience is that dual channel problems are sometimes a bios issue and not a hardware issue.

No I haven't, I'll have to try that.

about the HT thing, I'll have to look up the section I read last week. There is a place where it talks about it for like one sentance and thats it.

Back