• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4A79XTD vs GA-MA790X-UD4P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dantm

Hi, can somebody give me a suggestion between these two motherboards (ASUS vs. Gigabyte)?

Which one would overclock better with a 1055T? My goal would be around 4 GHz.

Thanks!

:welcome: to OCF!

It looks like there are several entries on HWBot for both of those boards above a 300 MHz clock speed and they both have the same chipset so the only thing left is past performance. I'd take the Gigabyte. I actually prefer ASUS boards but about the time they released this one they started having power problems with some of their mid-range products. This particular board may not be one of those but who can tell when it was manufactured, early or late in that model's life-cycle, so why take the chance? My vote is Gigabyte for this one ... :)

While there is no guarantee that you will reach 4.0 GHz. I concur with QuietIce on the Gigabyte mobo over the Asus. Based on historical vcore power supply/BIOS/Customer Service issues with Asus mobos I've completely stopped using them and use Gigabyte only.

Last edited:
While there is no guarantee that you will reach 4.0 GHz. I concur with QuietIce on the Gigabyte mobo over the Asus. Based on historical vcore power supply/BIOS/Customer Service issues with Asus mobos I've completely stopped using them and use Gigabyte only.

Interesting...

On a separate note, would there be any value in going to the 890FX vs the 790FX boards? I won't use the capacity of 6 GB/s SATA or slightly more USB ports (14 vs. 12), etc.

Thanks!

That would depend on the 890FX board. Some 890FX boards have really good power delivery, some don't. The ASUS M4A89 boards seem to be good as is the Gigabyte and Biostar boards. The rest I'm not so sure of.

I think the Biostar has trouble running a high clock speed, though, so maybe not the best bet for the 1055 ...

For my recent build (See signature) I looked at the available 790/890 Gigabyte boards and decided the GA-790XTA-UD4 best met my needs as it had the 8+2 VRM to support any of the X4/X6 AMD CPUs for OC'ing, etc. The 890 series didn't offer me anything better than the 790 chipset mobos. Your situation may be different however?

Hmmm, the Biostar 890FX board is the same price (around $130) and apparently a great overclocker...decisions, decisions....

Back