• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4A87TD EVO and DDR3 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boosted98gsx

I have the above (corsair Model CMX4GX3M2B2000C9), but AMD overdrive is listing my memory clock speed as 667 MHz. Shouldn't it be 16000MHz?

16000? No. 1600...better. ;)

All you need to do is going in to your bios and change the settings to that speed (800Mhz).

May want to update your signature to reflect your current system. ;)

Thats its naming convention, not its speed. Its speed is actually 2000Mhz (which AMD likely wont run it at). So with that said, just set it at 1600Mhz with the right timings. ;)

Thats its naming convention, not its speed. Its speed is actually 2000Mhz (which AMD likely wont run it at). So with that said, just set it at 1600Mhz with the right timings. ;)

right timings being what is advertised? (9-10-9-27 @ 1.65v)

Just did a BIOS flash, and it upped the DRAM freq to 722MHz

Okay, when I go into the BIOS and set the RAM to 1667MHz, the computer freezes / crashes on the windows logo screen.

Are the current timings set to Auto or Manual? And if Manual are they appropriate for what you have the ram frequency set to? It would be helpful to sow pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

Trents would know better than me, but, I thought AMD had A LOT of trouble hitting DDR3 2k memory speeds...or am I mistaking? I know you would haev to give the CPUNB more volts to hit DDR3 2k speeds.

Trents? Am I off? Just set his to 1600Mhz @ 1.65v and cal it a day?

Trents would know better than me, but, I thought AMD had A LOT of trouble hitting DDR3 2k memory speeds...or am I mistaking? I know you would haev to give the CPUNB more volts to hit DDR3 2k speeds.

Trents? Am I off? Just set his to 1600Mhz @ 1.65v and cal it a day?

You are correct and not only do you typically need to overvolt the CPUNB but often the main DIMM voltage as well to run at 2K and even at 1600 in many cases. The fact is, the current generation of AMD CPUs has a memory controller rated at 1333 mhz and they just plain don't like running the ram much faster than that. We get this same question all the time. My advice to to the OP is turn it down to 1333 mhz but tighten the timings as much as you can. AMDs don't like the ram clocked high and they can't even take much advantage of it clocked high from a performance standpoint really, but they thrive on tight timings. That's the advantage of getting that fast ram with AMD, the fact that you can run it at slower speeds but real tight timings. Treat your 2k ram like "super 1333" and tighten the timings.

Yep, pulled the manual and read the specs and Asus gives the AMD specs on one page showing the limit of ram to be DDR1333 and then on the following page says it may run DDR2000. I have seen very few 4 core cpus handle DDR2000. Maybe a 6 core with the better memory controller.

His screen shots show 1T setting but the memory says it is rated at 2T close to DDR2000, so he definitely would have to make some adjustments. I doubt a 4 core memory cotnroller will see DDR2000 and likely will give some problems at even DDR1600. Would surely be trial and error.

Back