• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A78L-M/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitworth2001

Registered
Hey guys

ive just purchased a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Rev2.0 WindForce 3X OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with Battlefe.

i have just been reading about it and apparently it needs a PCI-E 3.0 compatible motherboard and processor though. i have an M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard and a FX8120 processor

will this graphics card still work with my current setup ?

Most PCI-e 3.0 video cards are compatible with PCI-e 2.0 motherboards. Plenty of people are using PCI-e 3.0 video cards in AMD boards which NONE are PCI-e 3.0 yet. Not one AMD motherboard is yet PCI-e 3.0.

RGone...

I'd be worried about running an 8 core on the motherboard though, yikes!

I'd be worried about running an 8 core on the motherboard though, yikes!

Meh it'll just thermal throttle.

My M5A78L - No throttle, Pure OC. (still a working board too!)

LN2 - do not try this at home! BWahahahaHAHHahahHAHAhaaaaa.

Attachments

• 8300 wprime32m II.png
    8300 wprime32m II.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,659
  • FX-8300 7500mhz cpu-z.png
    FX-8300 7500mhz cpu-z.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,649
Running m5a78 for my HTPC build. You're nuts for running an 8120 on it, but I can confirm your graphics card will work. My 270x windforce and 290 both work just fine. :)

SHRIMP!!!! LOL 1.95v :rofl::rofl::rofl: :clap::clap::clap: :screwy::screwy::screwy:

Haha Bob4933!! It's seen 2.076v at 7800mhz.

Not sure why these M5A boards are so under rated.... I ran on liquid my 980BE daily at 4.4ghz at 1.65v without any issues ever. No throttling due to adequate cooling, then LN2. Gave my brother the board for his wife after LNing the 980BE on it (and one or two other cpus) and she ran it for more than a year with a C2 955BE clocked to 3.6ghz daily. It still posts to this day.

Gotta be one of THE most robust motherboards I've run considering IT SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DO them kinds of voltages and clocks.

Needless to say this board proved any thought of NOT being capable.... completely wrong. It just needs to be in the right set of hands I guess.

Have 2 M5A78L boards actually. Both LN2 capable, both clock fine for daily clocks as well. Just gotta keep it cool like you would any other board out there ;)

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

I'll try and grab a picture of the one I LNed with that 8300 tomorrow for you. It looks like nothing ever happened to it. I'll try and clean it up a tad first as there's dielectric grease smeared just about everywhere lol. I even covered the Cmos battery, stuffed the PCI-E slots with it too lol. Keeps the water away quite nicely though.

Back