• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A97 system upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telep_man

Registered
Hi,
So I have M5A97 (first gen) and wanna buy me a FX-6300. I haven't decided on the cooler yet, this Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure looks good, but they say it weighs ~650g. Is that ok? Because I read somewhere that my motherboard only has 6 mounting holes (no support in the middle if I got it right), and it's kind of thin. Any advice? Thx.

M5A97 is not going to be robust enough platform if you intend to overclock that FX-6300. The VRM circuit is just not up to a vigorous overclock in general.
RGone...

^^You're such a downer :(! I gave up on 8320 because of the 4 phase VRM, but I'm counting on a small overclock with 6300, like 4.2-4.5GHz. Am I not being realistic? Anyway what about the cooler weight, is that something I should worry about?

You might get that OC on your board.
The whole FX line is pretty power-hungry though, making an 8+2 VRM necessary for OCing 6 and 8 core CPUs very far.

I would expect more like 4GHz stable, realistically.

Alright, I can live with 4GHz. It will still beat the crap out of the 3-core Athlon I have now :D.

Back