• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MA790XT UD4P Bios issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I bought this motherboard last week for my new build and all went very smoothly. I had drives mirrored using onboard RAID, memory configured to Corsair's spec and CPU running at stock speeds.

I decided to try overclocking the CPU, so thought it best to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version - F7 from F4G. After doing this I had a problem booting into Windows. It was late (3am :( )and I was tired, so I decided to give up messing about trying to get the machine to boot and reinstall.

After reinstalling, all was good for a while, and then failure to boot again.

I started thinking it was the RAM, so ran MemTest - all OK.

Thought it could be the disks so tried using just one - still same issue.

I was able to get the machine to boot by going to recovery console and using bootrec /fixboot and then bootrec /fixmbr

After a lot of testing and messing about, changing BIOS settings etc, I reverted back to F4G - at which point the system is dead-stable again.

It seemed with F7 and even F6, if I turned on the AMD C1E support or USB mouse support, the BSOD and then no boot would happen.

I am going to contact Gigabyte to see what they say, but just wondered if anyone else had the same issues? :shrug:

After a lot of fiddling and testing, I am now running stable (fingers crossed) with F7 but with AMD C1E and USB Mouse turned off.

Does anyone know why the C1E would cause an issue?

Same problem here. After I upgraded to F7 bios, my PC started chrashing when loading windows, and even my USB keyboard stopped responding. I disabled USB Mouse Support and it stopped. I'll send Gigabyte an e-mail about this issue, because for sure they messed something in this new version. F6 did not give problems to me.

I have already emailed them, and they came back with:

Hi,

After testing on our side, there is no problem booting into Windows flashing bios from F4 to F7.

Configuration:

MB: MA790XT-UD4P

Bios: F4 & F7 bios

Bios: Load optimized default

OnChip SATA Type set to [RAID]

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955

Memory: 2 pcs x GSkill DDR3-1600 2GB

VGA: GV-N94TOC-512I

SATA HDD: [1] WD 120GB

[2] WD 500GB

PSU: Seasonic SS-500ET

Test Done:

Configure as RAID 1 (Mirror), installing Windows 7 64 bit with F4 bios.

After finishing OS installation, flashing bios to F7 --> Then Load optimized default --> Set OnChip SATA Type to [RAID] --> Save and Exit.

No problem to boot into Windows with F7 bios.

Please refer to attached pictures.
847864-f4bios.jpg

What configuration of hardware do you have? RAM/CPU etc

I have since had more crashing issues with F7, so am back to F4G which seems pretty much rock solid.

My system is in my sig. I'm returning to Bios F6, because it was solid for me. This F7 is very unstable. I got lock ups even in the BIOS setup screen. I also sent an e-mail, because this pushes them to do something and release a new Bios version.

i may try f6 then if you find it stable.

let me know how you get on with them, it took two messages to them before they responded

Actually, I had lot's of problems with this motherboard and my RAM. So, I finally found a combination of voltages that made them stable. I was using the Bios F6 during this process, and have been using it for a while, so I believe it is fine. But maybe this Bios requires you to overvolt NB and CPU-NB a little, as I did with my system, to make it stable.

Last edited:
Here is Gigabyte response:
"Thank you for your kindly mail and enquiry. In fact, new version BIOS can fix some known system problem or improve H/W compatibility. But, sometimes, new version BIOS is possible to cause new system problem with some specific system configuration.

Therefore, usually, if the system works well with earlier version BIOS, we do not recommand you to take your own risk to update BIOS to prevent unexpected system problem.

If you have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY"

So they were evasive, but I conclude that they know there is a problem in this BIOS. But blamed my setup for that.

Maybe they have MPs working for them - evading questions and all that!

Bet they get away with lots of expenses there too :p

Well F6 crashed this morning too. Gigabye keep avoiding the question, asking me to test with other components as they can't replicate the issue with the components they have to hand.

psychogmv, what speed did you end up with? Am considering dropping back to 1333 as I have seen some other corsair 1600 (different modules) issues with this board, and it has been suggested to them that they stick to 1333.

Any chance you can list what settings you found worked for you?

I might suggest trying just one stick of ram or moving the two ram modules to single channel mode. I have a Gigabyte 780-based board that is not stable in dual channel mode with my PI X3 8750BE but is quite stable in single channel mode or if I use a dual core processor instead of a triple core. I went round and round with Gigabyte tech support on this and even sent the board in to them once. I'm wondering if some of the Gigabyte boards or bioses don't like X3s. I finally replaced the board with an ASRock and the X3 works fine in dual channel with the same ram.

I just put togehter my rig tonite using the MA 790XT with a 550BE and 2x2gb of the Corsair XMS 1600 ram, The memory defaulted to 1333 on my initial boot, Changed it to 1600 with no issue's. Haven't got to tinker much yet, Just did the multiplier O.C. to 3500 as of now. So far after a few hours no issue's. Motherboard shipped with bios f6 which I haven't updated yet.

psychogmv, what speed did you end up with? Am considering dropping back to 1333 as I have seen some other corsair 1600 (different modules) issues with this board, and it has been suggested to them that they stick to 1333.

Any chance you can list what settings you found worked for you?

I'm running my RAM at 1333Mhz. Also, try using the white slots, they much more stable. Another tip is loading optimized defaults prior from adjusting the RAM timings. Do this in the RAM timings page in the BIOS.

My stable settings are:

CPU NB VID: 1.250V (+0.050V)
Northbridge: +0.1V
RAM Clock: 1333Mhz
Vdimm: 1.90V
RAM timings: 7-7-7-30 2T, Trfc 160ns other settings unchanged from Optmized Defaults. These RAM timings and Vdimm are the specs for my RAM, so try using the ones for your type.

I disabled the USB Mouse Support, but left C1E enabled. Some users found that for stability CPU NB VID can be adjusted up to +0.200V. In my case, I could only run my RAM at 1600Mhz when adjusting CPU NB VID to +0.200V.

Back