• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac Pro with windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toastslave

Registered
I have grim news, I have decided I want to buy myself a Mac Pro tower. The design is just so sexy, I could put it in a backpack if im traveling, it takes up little to no desk space, and when I have chicks over they wouldn't look at my giant tower and know how huge of a nerd I am :p. I'm just wondering, would I be able to completely remove the apple OS and still have the Mac Pro functioning properly. I ask this because the Mac Pro has GPUs that are not available in any other computer, the AMD FirePro D300, as far as I can tell these were made specifically for the Mac Pro. So if I was to completely remove the mac OS and just have a hardrive with windows on it would I still be able to install all the required drivers. I DO NOT WANT TO DUAL BOOT. I want to completely scrap the mac OS and only run windows.

Thanks in advance and I want apologize to everybody for considering a mac product.

Last edited:
Use Boot Camp to dual boot the machine. You can then set the OSX partition to some small size and set Windows to boot first.

VirtualBox/VMWare are useless for anything resource intensive.

Use Boot Camp to dual boot the machine. You can then set the OSX partition to some small size and set Windows to boot first.

VirtualBox/VMWare are useless for anything resource intensive.

I don't want to dual boot the machine, the whole reason I made this post was to ask if I can completely scrap the disgusting mac OS and run windows no problem.

I don't want to dual boot the machine, the whole reason I made this post was to ask if I can completely scrap the disgusting mac OS and run windows no problem.

I believe you can do a Boot Camp install and then nuke the OSX partition.
I know you have to install using Boot Camp because of system drivers though.

Nobody has done this here? Nobody has installed windows and completely removed the mac os after? I just need a sure answer before I drop 3100 dollars on this sexy little *******.

I've never done it because I strongly hate all things related to Apple, but I wouldn't think that it's too hard.

Pop in the DVD and install, but I assume Apple has thought of that, and made sure it wasn't that easy.. :shrug:

Like I say, you can do Boot Camp and shrink the OSX partition WAY down then set Windows to boot before OSX.
I think you can remove the partition afterward, but I always left the OSX partition intact.

I think you can remove the partition afterward, but I always left the OSX partition intact.

Appreciate the info but I need a for sure answer, the only issue I can think of is the drivers for the dual AMD GPU's as they do not make those available for any other desktop.

Sometimes Price =/= Performance.

I can vouch for the firepro cards being abysmal for gaming, I messed around with one on campus and a game like Eve online was having a hard time maintaining 40 fps, never mind 60, or even 120, which is what the monitor default was.

If you want to go balls to the wall gaming pc, A http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487048&cm_re=titan_z-_-14-487-048-_-Product Might just...never mind...:chair:

:p Its as expensive as your entire system o_O.

Maybe a normal titan, or 780 Ti sli?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121865&cm_re=titan-_-14-121-865-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487007&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-487-007-_-Product

These are the top three cards atm nvidia's side of the fence.

Back