• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MaddMutt's 775 thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The sub I was referring to was during an AMD Comp. We were about equal in RAW CPU speed but not in memory. At that time I was water cooling my memory, I took a set of DDR3 1600 Vengeance Ver 4.23 to 2133. The guy that beat me was running Trident X DDR3 2400 @ 10-12-12-31.

Hopefully after I get done playing with the 775, I move up to the 1366:)

2400 10-12-12? I'm no expert but imho those are horrible timings. With some decent sticks and a little finesse you should be able to whoop azz on those timings.

Oops...gotcha. For some reason thought this was about MM's 775 setup ;p

I've got a 775 DDR3 board inbound. The Gigabyte website says that the board can run DDR3 2200+ OC. I'm not sure if I can make it get there but I will try :)

Higher mem speed will sacrifice cpu speed typically too hard on the NB chip

Higher mem speed will sacrifice cpu speed typically too hard on the NB chip

^ So I should stay with my :
Crucial Elite 2133 @ 9-10-9-24
Dominator GT 2000 @ 8-8-8-24 and
Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24

^ These should be enough for the 775 & 1366 boards???? Or should I still keep my eyes open for a 2400 kit???

^ So I should stay with my :
Crucial Elite 2133 @ 9-10-9-24
Dominator GT 2000 @ 8-8-8-24 and
Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24

^ These should be enough for the 775 & 1366 boards???? Or should I still keep my eyes open for a 2400 kit???
Yeah man..keep your eyes open for a decent set of those 2400 samsungs. You'll use them eventually and with ddr3 prices in the toilet, should be able to grab a set for a reasonable price.

You might also be able to dump those ripjawsX as your dominators/hypers likely perform better anyway. On 775 you'll be shooting for ram speeds in the 900-1000MHz range anyway. At some point, i'll be getting rid of a lot of psc (2600c8, though... not 2666c8) but you might want to keep your eyes open for a good set of the gskill pi's I mentioned earlier....look for ones that have been tested on z97 and can do 2666c8 with something like 1.92v or less.

Not sure how your 2133c9's overclock but you might want to eventually ditch those as well unless they're something special.

Yeah man..keep your eyes open for a decent set of those 2400 samsungs. You'll use them eventually and with ddr3 prices in the toilet, should be able to grab a set for a reasonable price.

You might also be able to dump those ripjawsX as your dominators/hypers likely perform better anyway. On 775 you'll be shooting for ram speeds in the 900-1000MHz range anyway. At some point, i'll be getting rid of a lot of psc (2600c8, though... not 2666c8) but you might want to keep your eyes open for a good set of the gskill pi's I mentioned earlier....look for ones that have been tested on z97 and can do 2666c8 with something like 1.92v or less.

Not sure how your 2133c9's overclock but you might want to eventually ditch those as well unless they're something special.

^ I haven't OCed them yet but they have been acting funny since my MB had problems with the SB & NB chip during an OC run.
Should I look for another set of PSCs in the 2400 range??????
I found a couple of sets of Sammys @ 2400 on Amazon. The cheapest was $180 (2x4GB) and IIRC the most expensive was $780+.. Those prices are a little steep for me right now :( I spent some of my computer budget picking up some other things.

Keep an eye on the classies here. Those sets do come up once in a while and as F_S said he'll be selling some as well. You have to be quick though, Reefa seems to buy anything good that comes up.

^ I haven't OCed them yet but they have been acting funny since my MB had problems with the SB & NB chip during an OC run.
Should I look for another set of PSCs in the 2400 range??????
I found a couple of sets of Sammys @ 2400 on Amazon. The cheapest was $180 (2x4GB) and IIRC the most expensive was $780+.. Those prices are a little steep for me right now :( I spent some of my computer budget picking up some other things.

Keep an eye out for 2200, 2300 or 2400 psc. $180 for 2x4 2400 samsungs is outrageous unless they're golden (or close to it) samples. You should be able to get a pair for around $100-120 these days. A good place to watch is forum.hwbot.org.

Yeah keep an eye out in classified sections you can find some good deals. I just snagged 4x4 team extreme 2400 9-11-11-28 (not sure that ic but a quick search said samsung) here for $65. I'm cheap though and won't pay for the best of the best. If you need something to try out I may be able to lend you 2 sticks of that play with for a while. I only really need 2 for my purposes and it would be a shame to throw them in my itx that only runs 1333 lol

Yeah keep an eye out in classified sections you can find some good deals. I just snagged 4x4 team extreme 2400 9-11-11-28 (not sure that ic but a quick search said samsung) here for $65. I'm cheap though and won't pay for the best of the best. If you need something to try out I may be able to lend you 2 sticks of that play with for a while. I only really need 2 for my purposes and it would be a shame to throw them in my itx that only runs 1333 lol

I sent you a PM about it :)

On 775 you'll be shooting for ram speeds in the 900-1000MHz range anyway. At some point, i'll be getting rid of a lot of psc (2600c8, though... not 2666c8) but you might want to keep your eyes open for a good set of the gskill pi's I mentioned earlier....look for ones that have been tested on z97 and can do 2666c8 with something like 1.92v or less.

Last year I was overclocking my memory by water, this voided the warranty when they broke. ^ To overclock some of your memory, what are you using?????
PLEASE don't just say a fan on the memory. I have fans that range from 60mm - 120mm and from < 18db to over 55db for my Delta's

Thanks

MM

A fan is really all that's needed man.
Use whatever fits your bill. Just plunk it over the top of the sticks.
DDR3 and DDR4 don't really get hot. DDR and DDR2 need a fan much more so.

I know I have to be doing something wrong because I have the same problem on 2 different boards. I have a Q6600 and I turn down the multi to 6 or 7 so I can raise the FSB without the CPU getting to hot. I set the FSB to 400 and have a BSOD at 475 :( The boards that have been used are the Asus P5E (with modified BIOS) and my new one Gigabyte EP45T-UD3R. With my new board I can rule out the memory as I don't even get within 200MHz of the rated speed of the memory on both boards :(
Have I hit an FSB wall with this chip???
I have not hit 500 on either board yet but did get to 48x on the P5E with a different chip:)
I'm not buying another 775 board. The next one will be a 1366, should I go with Asus, Gigabyte, or Evga????

Thanks for your help guys

MM

Quads are tough to get high FSB with. Have you tried a dual core? I can barely get 500 on my P5E3 with a quad.

I used a Dual to get the P5E to 480+ :)
I was asking because I'm about to go and Dice my Rampage Formula with a QX6850. It was even harder to get a good FSB on it :(
Should I search through my stack of Duals to bench instead of the QX6850????

Thanks for the help

MM

+1, quads are more difficult to get higher FSB. So...what are your benching? That matters as to what is the better CPU for the job. ;)

Last year I was overclocking my memory by water, this voided the warranty when they broke. ^ To overclock some of your memory, what are you using?????
PLEASE don't just say a fan on the memory. I have fans that range from 60mm - 120mm and from < 18db to over 55db for my Delta's

Thanks

MM
Just a fan, if that. Memory doesn't get hot really... how much voltage are you putting through them? And even if a fan is needed, just pick a decent one to put on it to move some air past it. Do not make it harder than it needs to be. ;)

Depends on what you're looking for.
Personally, I'd bench them all. Start with an easy dual to see if you can find the max of the board. It might take a couple chips to figure it out.

I've got a : E5700, E8600, E8500, E8400, E6400, E6300, and a E6700. On the memory side I have : Corsair Dominator - 8500C5D Ver 4.1 (they oc like crap) and Patriot Extreme Performance PVS22G9600ELKN @ 5-5-5-12 2.3V.
I should have a set of Corsair Dominator - 8500C5D Ver 1.1 sometime next week.

I'd use one of the e8xxx chips and try the patriot memory. Probably your best bet. You may need to try both since the chip can limit the FSB as well depends how good it is. I got lucky with the one I have here had the e8400 up to 638 but only 620 validated. http://valid.x86.fr/rgf47l
Memory is important for max FSB as well that's why I suggest the 1200 that you have. You'll be on the lowest strap 1:1 so mem speed will equal FSB speed. NB willl need lots of volts too. One thing I have noticed with my DDR2 kits is not to just crank the volts on it unless you need to. Too much voltage and I would have troubles booting.

Back