• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mafia 2 - WTH? *SPOILER ALERT*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

Beware, the post I am about to make contains spoilers as I beat this game in under 11 hours.

So I borrowed my friend's copy of Mafia2 (logged into his STEAM account) and decided to play through it and I honestly cannot believe that 2K had the balls to charge $50 for this game, I wouldn't even have paid $0.50 - I've seen crappy indie games better than this.

To sum it up with my experience:

Pros:
-Excellent gun/era reproduction, they were spot on with all the weapons available and *mostly* the car models for the time

-Decent combat, it felt a bit more fluid than the game it was ripping off (Although everyone rips off GTA Nowadays)

-The cops were much smarter, albeit overpowered and totally unrealistic (Being able to catch up with me whilst I was in a sports car, being able to hit me in the head with a .38 snubnose from 70 yards away and many many other things)

-The playboy magazines you could pick (Up until playing this game, I'd never seen tits before)

The Cons (I guess "Everything" is too short of a summary):

-Total lack of character development, they had so many Ital's with generic faces I felt like I was surrounded by 100 James Gandolfini clones with indistinct voice acting

-The way the cars handled (I've never driven a 1950's Cadillac but I doubt they would've flipped trying to take a corner at 25MPH)

-Getting ticketed for speeding (This happens to me enough in real life, I don't need it in a video game) which eventually led to me shooting the cop and ending up getting mown down by Thompsons

-Utter lack of clothing and customization. You either had a dress shirt with an overcoat/raincoat, or the typical dress shirt with slacks...

-The jail missions. And I really must elaborate that adding an objective that requires you to clean urinals in the jail IS NOT ****ING REQUIRED OR NECESSARY

-The Melee fighting system. I don't know if they were trying to one-up Saints Row2 but they failed miserably on this one, it felt like both my character and the guy I was beating up were made of molasses.

-Boring, boring missions. Go whack this guy, or go buy some dope and they have another guy try to whack you. Oh yeah and if you get bored you can rob half a dozen stores that are available for $150-$400 a hit....OR you can crush cars (Wheeeee....?)

-This kind of ties in with the "Lack of character development" But I could tell right off the bat that Henry was a rat because at the beginning your character asked "How is your English so good if you just immigrated here?" DUN DUN DUN WHAT A TWIST

I felt like this game had no point, not to mention it left on a sort-of cliffhangar, I was hoping for SOME closure. Like maybe Vito took over Empire Bay or something like that...but nooope you got nothing just a fade to black.

Am I just an unhappy cynical person waiting for death or is this game really as bad as I make it out to be? :confused::confused::confused:

So a game has to be perfect for you to like it? Which games do you like then?

Mafia 2 is amazing, its better than GTA4 in areas and worse in others. Sure, 2k could've done a better job in certain aspects, but i'm half way through already and loving it. The world the have portrayed is breathtaking. I actually feel like I'm an Italian mobster just post war in the USA which was their goal.

At first I didn't like the game because it was easy to die and the cars were slow ect ect. But its a game and it's meant to put you into a different experience which Mafia 2 does exceptionally. The visuals are also amazing and as soon as you get out of jail the colours are amazing. They made me go wow =D

TBH you're picky and if you don't like a game, don't play it.

Go watch Goodfellas to cheer you up.

I really enjoyed playing the game, but it had it's faults. Mainly it crashed endlessly so I had to play the game in 30min tops increments. I bet people on steam were wondering wtf was going on. ;)

As for the ending. I actually liked it. Life in the mafia is never what you really want it to be. And in that case, it certainly wasn't. As for the voice actors, I thought they were quite good. I had no problem telling them all apart.

As for driving, were you on normal or simulation? Simulation felt a bit better in terms of how cars behaved but by no means was it reality. Cars back then were no epitome of good driving. They all drove either like boats, or go carts on the precipice of crashing.

The game had problems. But not anywhere nearly as bad as many think for some reason. Mafia 2 is not GTA, by nearly any stretch of the means. It is supposed to be just a single player narrative with not much deviance from the main story. Too bad that quite a bit of the game was hacked out and what we got is nearly half of what we were supposed to get.

So a game has to be perfect for you to like it? Which games do you like then?

No, but I thought he made some valid points for not liking it. Boring missions and lack of character development, at least in my opinion, are two big differences between average games that don't suck and bad games that do.

Mafia 2 was "ok" , I finished it unlike GTA4. So that's something...

Ending was decent.

So sad then guys! I reallly looked forward to this game, and played the demo, but i think ill wait till it gets down to $20 or something. Maybe they will release a DLC for it (as the economy goes down the toilet, more games release DLC, as it seems to be easier to coax the public into buying a $15 add-on, then creating a new engine, and selling a game for $49) I digress.

How long is the normal campaign, and can you opt out of some missions? I was hoping this game would be Oblivion - Fallout 3 - GTA 3 hybrid, set in the 40's. Games that are truly open Sandbox are my favorite!

I'm probably going to try it tonight. I got it for free (nvidia penny arcade expo giveaway, not piracy) so I don't lose anything if it sucks, but if it's good then yay for free stuff.

So sad then guys! I reallly looked forward to this game, and played the demo, but i think ill wait till it gets down to $20 or something. Maybe they will release a DLC for it (as the economy goes down the toilet, more games release DLC, as it seems to be easier to coax the public into buying a $15 add-on, then creating a new engine, and selling a game for $49) I digress.

How long is the normal campaign, and can you opt out of some missions? I was hoping this game would be Oblivion - Fallout 3 - GTA 3 hybrid, set in the 40's. Games that are truly open Sandbox are my favorite!

NOPE

Its very linear and theres not really any "Choice" in the game.

As for playtime it took me 11hrs.

These were one of those "What the hell is the point to this?" type of games, and lets be honest - its not that hard to write ANYTHING based in the world of La Cosa Nostra.

How they managed to release this with a straight face is beyond me, and anyone else who pre-ordered or paid $50 deserves a flogging

NOPE

Its very linear and theres not really any "Choice" in the game.

As for playtime it took me 11hrs.

These were one of those "What the hell is the point to this?" type of games, and lets be honest - its not that hard to write ANYTHING based in the world of La Cosa Nostra.

How they managed to release this with a straight face is beyond me, and anyone else who pre-ordered or paid $50 deserves a flogging

Seriously, have you played any other game out there? There are games released every month that is garbage. Just go look at the trash heap of Elements. If you want to rage mode about a game, at least try and be logical and have it make sense.

Seriously, have you played any other game out there? There are games released every month that is garbage. Just go look at the trash heap of Elements. If you want to rage mode about a game, at least try and be logical and have it make sense.

I've played Jenga

Does that count?

Back