• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Main OS hdd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

So I have a 60 gig ssd running my windows 7 install, drivers, and anti-virus. If I add all the folders in the C:/ it comes to roughly 23-26 gigs with overestimation. When I first rearranged my rig (adding the OS dedicated hdd) and did a fresh install, windows was showing the 20 gig range being used. I just noticed it now says 43 gigs used(roughly a few months later) and 13 gigs left. I've never added a single file to this hdd except for windows updates. What am I missing? I've got my virtual memory on a separate hdd and I've got 12 gigs of ram anyways so that's definitely not it. Could my drive be possibly failing or did I overlook something?

It probably isn't counting system files. Hibernation (powercfg -h off), page filing (you mentioned that is fixed), and system restore are likely taking up space.

Use WinDirStat to get an exact and graphical breakdown of where your space is being utilized.

Pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are taking up 12.0 gigs and 9.0 gigs respectively according to WinDirStat. Looks like those are the missing gigs. Any way to reduce those?

*EDIT* Thanks for that program too. It is mighty useful. I tracked down another 3.2 gigs in xsplit recordings that weren't even supposed to be on that specific drive. -1 for programs that are installed on other hdd's to feel the need to have their default dump folders to C:/

Last edited:
Hibernation:
powercfg -h off

Pagefile (I'd set it to a few gig):
http://tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html

Thanks again. I did forget to turn hibernation off now that I think of it. Silly me as I know that's an SSD rule I go by. Page file is being weird though. It says disabled on my OS SSD and enabled to 2 gigs min/max on my regular hdd. It then says 14216 mb currently allocated. May do a reboot and keep tinkering.

*EDIT* Well got hibernation turned off and did a reboot and now I'm chilling once again at 26 gigs used and life is good. Thanks a bunch sir.

Last edited:
Hibernation is really only good for laptops supposedly. That, sys restore, and indexing is one of the first things I shut off. Hidden parts are pointless as well.

Back