• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mainstream P55 Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so let me ask, what is wrong with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128400
while it is only 10phase it is way more then enough to oc these quads. unless your going extreme cooling 16phase is pretty much a waste. as you said your self the AsRock is more then you wanted to spend.

By the looks of it, the Gigabyte doesn't have the LGA 775 cooler mounting holes. Having to buy a new fan (for no other reason than Intel changing designs) effectively adds $40 to the price.

With the Asrock, I can use my existing cooler, save that $40 and wind up with more features for less money.

u realize that there are 5 different versions of the asus P7P55D?

LE
regular (just P7P55D)
PRO
EVO
Deluxe

In that order of price and features.... SLI starts on the PRO version. NOT ALL p55 boards that have 2x physical pcie 16x slots support SLI or 8x 8x configuration.

And only a few years ago boards were going for much more.... bought my Asus p5wdh for 240 bucks.

But it really comes down to the layout you want, i would try and stick with asus or gigabyte IMO.

This is exactly why I won't even look at asus, they had to of spent more on R&D'ing several different ok boards for each price point than making a few amazing boards... but then again evga is guilty of the same thing.

I just can't get excited about any of the boards asus has to offer.

eVGA seems to get me this time primarily because of the topmost 1x slot. I have an X-Fi titanium I love and won't get rid of.

By the looks of it, the Gigabyte doesn't have the LGA 775 cooler mounting holes. Having to buy a new fan (for no other reason than Intel changing designs) effectively adds $40 to the price.

With the Asrock, I can use my existing cooler, save that $40 and wind up with more features for less money.

Another reason I selected eVGA's boards over the competition. I can pull my water block off and put it back on with 0 hassle. :)

Another reason I selected eVGA's boards over the competition. I can pull my water block off and put it back on with 0 hassle. :)

well i was thinking the same thing about the lga775 mounting. then my mind changed when someone posted a link about that with lga1156 on the same board. since intel is using a different height hold down for the cpu. they said it was best to go ahead and come up with a new mount due to the height change.

which got me thinking if i used the LGA775 mount from my WB. what if i dont get the right contact, prolly like im getting now with my ninja on my 920. i have had this cooler for so long, i thought it was a blessing to be able to keep using it. sad part is the AC7-pro gets better temps on my rig#2 then the ninja ever did and is just as quiet as the ninja. not only that i was able to push the E7200 up to 3.6ghz from 3.4ghz, though i never changed my sig. the temps on the [email protected] are the same i was seeing at 3.4ghz on the ninja. which is 60-62c load, running rosie...

now adelphia83 i have gone back a few times now, what cpu have you settled on? i only ask cause the 860 i bought from newegg came with a free CM TX3 with LGA1156 mounts. not the best cooler but better then intels stock one for sure. if you are getting the 860, you could use the TX3 till Tuniq releases a LGA1156 mount for the TT.

consider this about LGA775-LGA1156 mounting.
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6231608&postcount=14
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6232166&postcount=23

im not saying cooling is going to be horrible. there are things we as oc'ers if ocing need to consider first. is that board going to be worth it if the cpu isnt being cooled as good as say if it where a true lga775 socket. just food for thought, that's all.

Last edited:
well i was thinking the same thing about the lga775 mounting. then my mind changed when someone posted a link about that with lga1156 on the same board. since intel is using a different height hold down for the cpu. they said it was best to go ahead and come up with a new mount due to the height change.

which got me thinking if i used the LGA775 mount from my WB. what if i dont get the right contact, prolly like im getting now with my ninja on my 920. i have had this cooler for so long, i thought it was a blessing to be able to keep using it. sad part is the AC7-pro gets better temps on my rig#2 then the ninja ever did and is just as quiet as the ninja. not only that i was able to push the E7200 up to 3.6ghz from 3.4ghz, though i never changed my sig. the temps on the [email protected] are the same i was seeing at 3.4ghz on the ninja. which is 60-62c load, running rosie...

now adelphia83 i have gone back a few times now, what cpu have you settled on? i only ask cause the 860 i bought from newegg came with a free CM TX3 with LGA1156 mounts. not the best cooler but better then intels stock one for sure. if you are getting the 860, you could use the TX3 till Tuniq releases a LGA1156 mount for the TT.

consider this about LGA775-LGA1156 mounting.
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6231608&postcount=14
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6232166&postcount=23

im not saying cooling is going to be horrible. there are things we as oc'ers if ocing need to consider first. is that board going to be worth it if the cpu is being cooled as good as say if it where a true lga775 socket. just food for thought, that's all.

Thank you evilsizer, this is stuff I didn't consider. I'm pretty confident that they'll release a good bracket for my water block, but I need to contact switech about this. I'm hoping they do, however.

Emailing them now about this.

edit: I emailed swiftech "help" and "reviews" with the hopes of potentially securing either a review kit or information of when it might be released. I'd be ****ed if swiftech thought to either neglect i5, or release a new block for it. :(

Last edited:
^^ just noticed my fingers slipped and left out two letters... now i know it is time for bed,lol

I just picked up a eVGA P55 FTW motherboard for $230 at Fry's this weekend to match up with the new i7 860. While it is definitely a little pricier than a mainstream board, I really liked the features (SLI/Triple BIOS/Diagnostic LED/Solid State Capacitors) compared to the lower-end motherboard options.

I was able to get my old Tuniq Tower (LGA775 ver) to mount, but it wasn't the prettiest. I had to drill out clearance holes in the cooler backplate to clear the CPU retention screws, and the 775 mounts are positioned about 10 degrees off parallel to the CPU socket.

I just picked up a eVGA P55 FTW motherboard for $230 at Fry's this weekend to match up with the new i7 860. While it is definitely a little pricier than a mainstream board, I really liked the features (SLI/Triple BIOS/Diagnostic LED/Solid State Capacitors) compared to the lower-end motherboard options.

I was able to get my old Tuniq Tower (LGA775 ver) to mount, but it wasn't the prettiest. I had to drill out clearance holes in the cooler backplate to clear the CPU retention screws, and the 775 mounts are positioned about 10 degrees off parallel to the CPU socket.

I need to call evga again and see if I have to do any funky things for my apogee.

Also, I wonder if the P55 SLI and P55 FTW differ in regards to the solid state capacitors.

What two letters?
old one
im not saying cooling is going to be horrible. there are things we as oc'ers if ocing need to consider first. is that board going to be worth it if the cpu is being cooled as good as say if it where a true lga775 socket. just food for thought, that's all.

what it should have been.
im not saying cooling is going to be horrible. there are things we as oc'ers if ocing need to consider first. is that board going to be worth it if the cpu isnt being cooled as good as say if it where a true lga775 socket. just food for thought, that's all.

what do you mean by difference in solid caps,brand or model? i would think they are the same caps on both boards, cheap in mass bulk that way. means they make more per board, it is all about the bottom line.

Wow EVGA really builds some overpriced boards... Their top of the line ones are more expensive than comparable boards, and their value segment is inferior... I haven't seen a modern board that doesn't have the solid caps until now.

Wow EVGA really builds some overpriced boards... Their top of the line ones are more expensive than comparable boards, and their value segment is inferior... I haven't seen a modern board that doesn't have the solid caps until now.

Wow BMW really builds some overpriced cars... Their top of the line models are more expensive than comparable cars.

Strange, I haven't seen comparable boards with the total feature set and components of eVGA's top of the line models. Onboard voltage tester? Japan-made only solid state capacitors? Dual bus clock generators? Pre-Installed chipset waterblock, 4-way SLI? Granted not all of these are on the P55 line, but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

Also, not having 100% Solid State Capacitors doesn't mean it has 0% :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back