• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major cooling/instability Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckjustchuck

I know there are guides posted here about cooling and whatnot but my current situation has got me way too overwhelmed to know where to begin. To start off, here are my specs. And all temps are read from the bios.
Asus A7N8X
AMD 2700+ thoroughbred
512 mb PC-2700 ddr333 Kingston
256 mb PC-3200 ddr400 Kingston
Antec SX1040BII SOHO SVR w/ 400 Watt Antec PS
ATI 9600XT AIW
2 fans blowing out back (came with case)
1 fan blowing in front (snagged off old case)

Now my problem is that with my case closed properly my mobo temp is running at around 120F and my CPU temp is at about 175F-185F. I have just recently upgraded the cpu from a 1800+ and was having the same system instability problem but though it was due to a very small chip in the cache on top. I have an aerocool cpu heatsync/fan that I don't know the model of but they don't make it anymore and I purchased it max 1 year ago. It's contact area with the cpu itself is very small and has this wierd connection to the board, has sort of a latch of some sort and doesn't stay snug very well. I did put the thermal grease/compound between the sync and the chip. When I remove the side panel the temperature differences are nominal. With the side panel off and a window fan blowing directly on my mobo the mobo temp is a bit more normal at about 80F but the cpu temp is still up at 150F. And obviously I shouldn't need to do this to try to get my temps down. Now when I had first purchased the aerocool it came with a fan controller that stayed inside the case and worked fine. But this was obviously a pain so I bought a fan controller at compusa, http://www.pctoys.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=201. Once I tried to set this up, I was getting a very annoying high pitch beeping noise. So I tried setting it back to the controller that came with the fan and now that doesn't work either. So now the fan is just directly to the header and is constantly on high, which is a bit loud when I'm trying to sleep. And all those temperatures were when I underclocked the cpu to equivalent to a 2400+. I was planning on getting a thermaltake volcano +11 but I afraid this will probably not be enough. Would it be more worth cutting the case for more fans or should I start a new with a smaller case such as the Coolmaster Centurion 2, http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=171094. Also is likely that there has been damage to my mobo/ram/cpu? Basically I'd like to know what I should do first to remedy this situation. I'd rather not have to keep going back to the store nor do I want to buy more than I need to. My current case is also in rough shape i.e. the door for the external bays is broken and the front usb port got pushed in and won't stay anymore, so a new case wouldn't be a horrible thing but as a college student I should be saving money not spending it.

Dont get a Thermaltake Volcano11. The only Thermaltake Heatsink worth buying is the Volcano12.
If you wanna save money, buy this and you wont go far wrong:
Thermalright ALX-800 for $9. Thats a steal...
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-tri-11.html

And you seriously need to do something about your case cooling. A duct from your CPU would seriously help in your situation. A top blow hole, as a lot of ppl recommend and i think this would also benefit you.

If you wanna get a new case thats up to you, thats what i've done to help improve my case temps. But you could always just mod that and try and fix it up for now if you aint got the cash.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was going to go to the microcenter cuz its on my way home from work. They don't have the volcano 12 so hopefully they have something similar. I just hope that there wasn't any permenant damage to my cpu or board.

justChuck,

Although only you can determine if the Centurion is "worth it", I can heartily recommend it as the basis for a cool-running PC.
It has some very nice engineering ( along with one glaring fault...the back panel is a pain, but can be worked around) and my PC ( Sprocket, which is very similar to yours in spec) has never been happier.
Should you decide to go with a Centurion feel free to PM me and I can shoot you some pics/ideas about how you might want to configure it.

Your temps are unacceptably high.
From your description I would initially suspect that you are getting very poor contact between your chip and heatsink.
In fact, why the Asus thermal control hasn't kicked in yet is a mystery.
After you deal with the HSF issue you can run

SpeedFan to regulate your fan, the program works superbly and is free to boot.

Good luck.

Back