• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make the switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I had a question for you guys. I've heard good things about the Ryzen series of CPU's. Has anyone made the switch from Intel to Ryzen since they have been released? I saw a Jayztwocents video earlier today and he was talking about how Intel was worried about Threadripper from AMD so they moved up the timetable for their latest CPU's to August of this year vs. next year at some point, which was the original release date. I don't guess they are too worried about Ryzen necessarily. I actually made the switch to Intel with my latest build (before Ryzen was announced) because I thought AMD just couldn't keep up and I was tired of being behind for gaming. I bought an i7-6700 CPU. I know the i7 is overkill for gaming, but I wanted as good as I could afford. I'm looking to move to Vega when it finally gets released, so I thought, if Ryzen was really as good as I've been hearing, I would like to build an all AMD system again. Anyway, just wanted to know what you guys would recommend for gaming, the R5 or R7, and if anyone has had success and is happy with their Ryzen build. Thanks. I understand this forum is for overclocking, so if it is recommended that I go with a Ryzen CPU that is able to be overclocked, I may go with that...or one step below. I haven't decided. Thanks again.

I used to have a 6700K @ 4.5ghz to a 1700 @ 3.8ghz. My only issue is my Hynix ram doesn't play nice currently on the Asrock Killer... whole heartedly regret that decision will not go any higher than 2400mhz. Decided to be patient and see what the next AGESA update brings to this board or I am going to buy a Crosshair 6 or a Taichi and possibly some B die ram.

Gaming wise, no issues... My frames are far lower in Single core oriented games like League of Legends. I play that about 70% of the time I spend gaming not sure if I will consider changing, perhaps if Skylake X or Threadripper preform better with single core tasks I may switch; just because the frame drops are sometimes noticeable even with Gsync. However streaming while gaming is a breeze. Tons of cores and not much of a drop if any at all. Overall its a new platform... the growing pains are slowly working themselves out and I really like it and look forward to the shake up AMD has brought along. Looking forward to Zen 2 for sure!

I had a question for you guys. I've heard good things about the Ryzen series of CPU's. Has anyone made the switch from Intel to Ryzen since they have been released? I saw a Jayztwocents video earlier today and he was talking about how Intel was worried about Threadripper from AMD so they moved up the timetable for their latest CPU's to August of this year vs. next year at some point, which was the original release date. I don't guess they are too worried about Ryzen necessarily. I actually made the switch to Intel with my latest build (before Ryzen was announced) because I thought AMD just couldn't keep up and I was tired of being behind for gaming. I bought an i7-6700 CPU. I know the i7 is overkill for gaming, but I wanted as good as I could afford. I'm looking to move to Vega when it finally gets released, so I thought, if Ryzen was really as good as I've been hearing, I would like to build an all AMD system again. Anyway, just wanted to know what you guys would recommend for gaming, the R5 or R7, and if anyone has had success and is happy with their Ryzen build. Thanks. I understand this forum is for overclocking, so if it is recommended that I go with a Ryzen CPU that is able to be overclocked, I may go with that...or one step below. I haven't decided. Thanks again.

It really wouldn't be much of an upgrade over your current system aside from extra cores.
@ trueplaya, threadripper is just 2x Ryzen CPUs on the same PCB. I can't see any reason why the IPC or core speed would increase

It really wouldn't be much of an upgrade over your current system aside from extra cores.
@ trueplaya, threadripper is just 2x Ryzen CPUs on the same PCB. I can't see any reason why the IPC or core speed would increase

Exactly. Threadripper is just more of the same Ryzen 7 cores with the same IPC. I had no use for Ryzen 7s 8C/16C so I returned everything and went with a Ryzen 5 6C/12T setup and used the cash I saved to upgrade my GPU from a 1060 6GB to a 1070 8GB. I'm happy with the price/performance of Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4 GHz.

I game on a 4790K rig and still have no reason to change, I just won't gain anything worth while so you're in the same boat as me.
as far as ryzen goes, I will be building a ryzen or 4 just because i want to, it wont get me anything, I just want to and if this is where you're at also it's just fine.
I'm waiting a while longer to let the bugs get worked all the way out and let the older buggier hardware work it's way off the shelves.

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll stick with my i7 for now, unless AMD really does something crazy with the next generation of CPU's after Ryzen (I know it will be a while).

Is Threadripper just like the old Intel Q6600 series 2 CPU's bolted together if I remember that was INTEL's answer to AMD's X2 CPU's I may be mistaken

Back