• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make Windows 10 Like Windows 7 (Great again)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGrace

So, looks like I have to strongly consider running Win10 on a new laptop. The new Intels do not want to run on Win 7, at least not smoothly. And I want to be able to run a SSD, so will have to run 10 for that. With the new M.2 or whatever the hell it is lol.

I do recall when Vista was out, there was a set of standard steps to basically make it WinXP again without having to do a reinstall. Anything like that for Win10?

I had 10 installed before, and went through stripping the apps out, so I can do that. Also, I recall on Win7 there was also a list. Like shutting down WinSearch. Which is a hog and I never use it. Any other services I will want to shut off? I also shut down Superfetch, mostly keep the stuff running for hours, load times I can care less....

I see there is a install called Classic Shell to bring back the Win7 style Start Menu. This is one of my biggest gripes with 10... takes ten clicks to get anywhere. Anyone have any experience and feedback on that program?

I see there is a WIn10 thread, but honestly not sure if sorting through 54 pages of posts.......

Thanks for any insights or info!!!

Regards,

DB

Classic Shell is far and away the most recommended "fix" for Windows 10, and there are a lot of programs available to turn off/decrapify a multitude of W10's sins. And we have way more than 54 pages on the subject of Windows 10's, err, shortcomings. Here's an additional 22 pages http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot And a couple solutions lifted from another thread http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how...-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/
https://winxappremover.codeplex.com/

I installed Classic Shell within the first day or two of my PC upgrading to Windows 10. IMO, my PC was basically unusable with the stock appearance and functionality of Windows 10. Too many things in places where I couldn't find them (or not find them easily enough). Things I could find within thirty seconds in Windows 7 took me twenty to thirty minutes to find in Windows 10. Classic Shell at least made my PC more bearable to use, after I customized it to fit my preferences for what I wanted in my start menu and where.

Ultimately though, I downgraded back to Windows 7 about two weeks after my PC upgraded to 10 (during the free upgrade period). I could make my PC's functionality in 10 sort-of like 7, but some things I just couldn't change at all or couldn't get close enough to the OS I was used to for my preferences (lack of the Aero theme for instance).

I may look into trying out Windows 10 again at some point. Wasn't quite bearable enough to be used for my main PC the last time I tried it though.

Last edited:
I installed Classic Shell within the first day or two of my PC upgrading to Windows 10. IMO, my PC was basically unusable with the stock appearance and functionality of Windows 10. Too many things in places where I couldn't find them (or not find them easily enough). Things I could find within thirty seconds in Windows 7 took me twenty to thirty minutes to find in Windows 10. Classic Shell at least made my PC more bearable to use, after I customized it to fit my preferences for what I wanted in my start menu and where.

Ultimately though, I downgraded back to Windows 7 about two weeks after my PC upgraded to 10 (during the free upgrade period). I could make my PC's functionality in 10 sort-of like 7, but some things I just couldn't change at all or couldn't get close enough to the OS I was used to for my preferences (lack of the Aero theme for instance).

I may look into trying out Windows 10 at some point. Wasn't quite bearable enough to be used for my main PC the last time I tried it though.

Pretty much my story, except I actually paid for W10 Pro only to have the extra functionality I paid for disappear in an "update". That, and the video playback picture quality in W10 simply wasn't the same quality as W7, and I had a need for Media Center, which M$ abandoned a while ago. I have W10 on a seperate SSD at the moment but only because I can't figure out what it did to my W7 boot file and I have to jump through hoops to get in W7. :bang head

Right clicking on the Windows 10 start button will give you a menu with the most commonly used items from control panel and some other Windows tools.

Second spammer in the last few hours. Sheesh.

Report the post.... don't quote it.....

Gotcha. I reported it first. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for removing the spam quote.
When I saw him quote the spam I was like
FacePalmNo.gif

and then I was like
FacePalmKirk.jpg and then I was like FacepalmPicard.jpg and then I was like FacePalmJaneway.jpg

and then I was like
FacepalmSisko.jpg

and then I was like

FacepalmWorf.gif

Classic Shell is good for the start menu and other UI tweaks. I know if you google how to disable certain features like Cortana, etc then there will be plenty of posts about registry editing. I seem to recall reading something about a way to get the aero theme in 10, through extensive registry editing and theme file replacement but I can't remember where I saw the info, if I ever really did.

I would have stayed on Win7 if not for DX12, imho if what's supposed to be possible with it really is then it'll make the hoop jumping to fix Win10 as much as possible totally worth it.

Back