• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

make windows use all cores.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I don't seem to be able to find anything on this forum about it so let's add it, shall we?
right click the start/windows or whatever you want to call it, in the lower left of your screen.
select run.
type msconfig, click ok.
select the boot tab.
select advanced options.
check the box, number of processors.
click the drop down menu and select the number of cores you have, add in the threads also.
click ok and then click to allow it to restart.
I have no idea what the maximum memory does so don't ask me.

Thanks for that reminder. I just made the change to my 2 core, 4 thread notebook. :) It can use all the help it can get.

What does this do? What are some benefits of doing so?

Without doing this my system can already use all 16c/32t....

I am unsure of this, I can't really figure A way to benchmark it.

I am unsure of this, I can't really figure A way to benchmark it.
Where did you get this from?

Like I said, my PC out of the box uses all cores and threads (Windows 10)... I'm not sure what this does, if anything.

Does it only work on boot? If so, does it boot faster? Pretty sure that section of windows has a boot timer (last boot time). I'd imagine that by default Windows uses all c/t and this is way to use less? Not sure. Though I doubt it will harm anything, I'm not touching this until I see some reference, lol. Never had to change this before... :shrug:

I can't remember, I think I learned of this back at the release of win7.

I remember this being a thing when you upgraded your cpu in windows xp.... after initial install it wouldn't notice any cores added if say you upgraded from a single to dual core.

I remember this being a thing when you upgraded your cpu in windows xp.... after initial install it wouldn't notice any cores added if say you upgraded from a single to dual core.
It was something like this and there was a bug where it would stop using more than 2 cores or something. This setting shouldn't do anything today unless you want to limit the number of cores used.

It was definitely a Windows 7 thing. Don't use this setting.

it is in win10 also.
what is? The ms config core thing?

The ability to change that has been there for generations of Windows OSs. Like was mentioned previously, by default, from at least w7, it already uses all cores and threads. You can test this and report back... see if there is a difference. :)

earthdog, I know this.
would pcmark be A good way to check this?

Try blender (time something out both ways)...cinebench (benchmark)...

Last edited:
....or, go with PCMark. :rofl:

Looks like there isn't a difference there... though I'm not sure what on means (did you check all the cores 'on' here?). But I see no more than run variance in any of those tests. Some of which are single-threaded in the first place. ;)

How about Cinebench or a Blender run of some sort? You can also watch task manager and the core/thread loads that way. Though I'm betting it will be much like PCM10 (no difference).

Last edited:
I wonder if wagex's example would still apply (core count upgrade) or if windows was fixed at some point to automatically start using the added cores.

As I said... I've never had to change this... like ever. It's using all cores by default (W10)... and Im sure older OSs (at least 8.1) do the same.

I have no idea what OS caddi is even testing on so....... who knows. This just feels random and unproven at best. :)

it's win10 pro.
we know blender uses all core as will cinebench, pcmark has video and rendering tests, I was hoping to see an improvement in app startup and sreadsheet scores but, nothing.

Last edited:
App startup and possibly spreadsheet are single threaded iirc. This change wouldn't make software suddenly use more threads, especially if the OS already has access to them natively.

If there was a limit on how many cores and threads the os can use, cinebench and blender wouldn't be using them either, right?

I think we can safely conclude that this change doesn't do anything in a modern OS as all c/t are available by dedault.. :)

Back