• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a CPU Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Go for it Max, you'll feel all your heat going into the bucket ;) :p

Just trying to add a bit of theoretical/science to the discussion. Either way, mass is needed, as well as enough surface area and proper thickness of materials to effectively transfer the load.

Go out in your shop and grab some copper pipe, then stick one end of it in a bucket of ice with your bare hand on the other end and wait about 5 sec...then come back here and tell me your response again :p

Go for it Max, you'll feel all your heat going into the bucket ;) :p

Just trying to add a bit of theoretical/science to the discussion. Either way, mass is needed, as well as enough surface area and proper thickness of materials to effectively transfer the load.

I ain't no dang physicist, but I gotta side with NoL on this one... the reason the copper pipe feels cold to the touch after you dunk it in ice water is not because the cold from the ice traveled up the pipe, but because the pipe gave up its heat to the ice... But again; I ain't no dang physicist or anything even remotely related to that... :D

Fine, don't use your hand, use a termocouple that has zero latent heat...then read the temperature of the CU pipe. What's your explanation for that one? It's sucking all the heat out of the air? :D

Sorry, took a while. My grandmother had a stroke and I had to drive down to Bavaria for a couple days.

Anyway I think I will take a look at Piotres pots then - they seem to be reasonably good, although I can't find any sort of price tags. Will just have to email him then.

Regarding the heat flows issue, heat is just the colloquial term for thermal energy. Thermal energy is defined by the amount of kinetic energy the molecules making up an object have, or in other words how much the molecules move. When we say "flows" we refer to the transfer of some of this movement between two substances when the molecules collide with each other. These collisions only occur when the substances touch each other, which is why the CPU pot needs to directly touch the CPU. How much of this movement occurs depends on the difference in heat, the size of the touching area, and the ability of the substances to transfer heat. Because only the molecules of the substance with thermal energy (the hot substance) move, the transfer of heat is always from the hot to the cold substance. This transfer of movement continues until the molecules of both substances move at the same speed or in other words have the same amount of thermal energy. So if you dunk a copper pipe into a bucket with ice then the faster moving copper molecules (the pipe is warmer than the ice) will collide with ice molecules in the bucket, causing the ice molecules to move faster and the ice to get warmer and eventually melt. Since energy is neither created nor destroyed, but only converted, the pipe's molecules will loose energy and the pipe will become colder. Since your hand is also touching the pipe heat from your skin also "flows" into the pipe and eventually into the ice. This causes your hand to loose thermal energy, meaning it gets colder.

his pots are gorgeous. Just curious how much was it? I suppose I can use a conversion site if necessary :)

Still gorgeous and a solid price for it. I can't believe the Kv2 pot is 205 euros over there!

Wow, you are getting a MUCH better pot than the Kv2. Take pics when you get it!

Well Koolance seems to have a monopoly here, as there are no other LN2/DICE evaporators available in stores.

And yes, I will take pictures.

Just from eyeballing, this pot should perform similarly to the F1EE on Dice. It's a pretty low surface area pot (by comparison to say the V2), but the mass is very competitive. :thup:

Not for me, for PeterPwned.

Putting a styrofoam cup in my pot would make it touch the ceiling. :D

Back