• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making an i7 920 more stable, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gMcizzLe

My i7 920 is running at 3.6 seemingly well, and when I run the 'blend' and 'in place large fft's' tests it runs them fine. However, when I run the maximum FPU test it only lasts 5 minutes before a BSOD. Temperature is not the problem as no core goes higher than 70C.

Here are my BIOS settings:

X.P.S Profile
CPU Voltage: 1.35V
QPI/DIMM Core: 1.28V
DIMM Voltage: 1.64V
BCLK: 180

What should I change to make it more stable?

i7 920 @ 3.6
ASUS P6T
GTX 285
1x6 GB Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24 @ 1433

Thanks.

I assume you mean 6 1Gb sticks of Corsair. What is their required voltage? It is 1.65 instead of 1.64? Some boards don't have 1.65 and jump from 1.64 to 1.66 but that should still be ok if it need it. Your memory multi is 8 judging by your speed listed. Is that overclocked or underclocked? Is it 1333 ram or 1600 in other words. You may need to drop to a 6x memory multiplier. That would be my first guess to look at anyways.

My i7 920 is running at 3.6 seemingly well, and when I run the 'blend' and 'in place large fft's' tests it runs them fine. However, when I run the maximum FPU test it only lasts 5 minutes before a BSOD. Temperature is not the problem as no core goes higher than 70C.

I would guess that 70c core is too hot for stability. Tcase = 69c for this processor and considering the usual 10c difference between Tcase and Tcore, it means you are awfully close to Tcase with your present setup.
Considering the crash only takes place when pushing the processor, its a good indication that heat is the problem.

I'm not familiar with the Tcase/Tcore conversions. The temps were taken with RealTemp 3, is this the correct CPU temp?

I assume you mean 6 1Gb sticks of Corsair. What is their required voltage? It is 1.65 instead of 1.64? Some boards don't have 1.65 and jump from 1.64 to 1.66 but that should still be ok if it need it. Your memory multi is 8 judging by your speed listed. Is that overclocked or underclocked? Is it 1333 ram or 1600 in other words. You may need to drop to a 6x memory multiplier. That would be my first guess to look at anyways.
Yeah there is no 1.65. Originally the memory was clocked at 1600 @ 1.65V but I had to downclock it since my options at 3.6GHz are 1433 or 1800-something. 1.64V should be fine to run at 1433 right?

Here are my BIOS settings:

X.P.S Profile
CPU Voltage: 1.35V
QPI/DIMM Core: 1.28V
DIMM Voltage: 1.64V
BCLK: 180

What should I change to make it more stable?

i7 920 @ 3.6
ASUS P6T
GTX 285
1x6 GB Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24 @ 1433

Thanks.

I would first try looser timings on the RAM. Just for grins, try 10-10-10-25 and see if that helps. If not, then I would try cutting Vcore back to be equal to the QPI/DIMM voltage. I run 3.5ghz with 1.2v for Vcore and QPI/DIMM. The lower voltage might help lower the temps somewhat. I agree with previous post that 70c is a bit high, especially for this a freq (3.6ghz). I assume the Corsair RAM you are using needs the 1.64v -- I use a lower voltage with my G.Skill memory -- it is worse memory than the Corsair, but only needs 1.5v.

What sort of cooler are you using?

Back