• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making gaming pc for 70" 4k tv. bought i5-6600 but thinking of getting i7-6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goto35

Registered
making gaming pc for 70" 4k tv. bought i5-6600 but thinking of getting i7-6700k

So here are the parts i bought for my gaming pc so far:

i5-6600
MSI m3 motherboard
16gigs ddr4 ram
r9 290x
corsair cx750
240gb ssd

So i was thinking if really want to future proof I should get these:
1. I7-6700k and a good fan
2. Samsung 950 M.2 drive.

What do you think? For gaming and future proofing should I spend the $300 extra and get the I7 and M.2 drive? Thinking i'll just return the i5-6600. I havent put the computer together yet.

Think you'll benefit more from spending that on another gpu rather than a faster cpu. 4K resolution needs a lot of gpu power and vRam. Some benchmark tests for 290x

Think you'll benefit more from spending that on another gpu rather than a faster cpu. 4K resolution needs a lot of gpu power and vRam. Some benchmark tests for 290x

I decided againtt dual 290x as im told it only make a difference is some games. I figure if i want a second card i can always get it later. For now i need to know about cpu so i can return or stay. So 6600 (non K) or I7-6700k

You likely won't see a significant improvement going to the 6700k from the 6600k, you would see a bigger improvement with a better graphics card (like a 980ti).

For gaming the i5 will be fine. Depending on what ssd you have, that Erik probably be ok too. You aren't going to see any noticeable improvement in gaming going to a 950.

Others already mentioned this, and it really depends on the games and quality settings you want to play at, but a single 290x seems light for 4k gaming.

I decided againtt dual 290x as im told it only make a difference is some games.

In your case , the advice to get another card isn't for game requirements. With a 4k display you will want more horsepower in the GPU department no matter what games you play.

Do lots of research before you buy that 4K TV.
Many of them are absolute crap for gaming. Huge input lag. 30 fps.

If you want to overclock purchase the i5 6600k if you don't want to overclock keep what you have it is plenty fast enough. +1 I would not use a 4K TV

This +1.

Also, like Janus said, you'd be much better off with a 980Ti than a different CPU.
It's definitely a minimum for 4K gaming.

Just got a sharp 70 4k that have 4:4:4:4 chroma and 4k at 60 fps.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70UH30U.aspx

Made a PC a while back for my office (which wife uses as her women cave) It a AMD 9590 with 8gb 280x. Runs 2 4k samsung monitors and i game nicely on that (older games can push out 4k at ultra. newer games i run 4k lower settings or just 1080p.) Problem is she uses those 4k monitors as her tv watching so i cant play :(

That insiped me to get my own HTPC computer and gaming rig and get rid of all my 4k streamers (minix 4k, amazon fire, etc)

Just got a sharp 70 4k that have 4:4:4:4 chroma and 4k at 60 fps.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70UH30U.aspx

Made a PC a while back for my office (which wife uses as her women cave) It a AMD 9590 with 8gb 280x. Runs 2 4k samsung monitors and i game nicely on that (older games can push out 4k at ultra. newer games i run 4k lower settings or just 1080p.) Problem is she uses those 4k monitors as her tv watching so i cant play :(

That insiped me to get my own HTPC computer and gaming rig and get rid of all my 4k streamers (minix 4k, amazon fire, etc)

image.png

While very playable, not much on "future proofing." Games will only get more and more demanding Graphically before they'll get CPU intensive. They still don't use all 4 cores and max it out much less hyperthreading and it's very much known that clock speed > core count. Still would keep the 6600 or bump up to just a 6600k and OC and get another 290X.

Last edited:
Just ordered a second sapphire 290x. Figured might as well enjoy the 4K gaming experience.

Now debating about 6600 or get 6600k or i7-6700k. Debate continues....

If I get the i7-6700k will i be ok with a air cooler (coolermaster 212) or should i opt out for a water cooler (corsair H60 or something). Not sure if I will overclock if i get the i7-6700k. Its only $20-30 more than the non K so im thinking might as well...

On a side note im feeling good about the dual 290x's. I think 4k will make it pretty darn nice!

If I get the i7-6700k will i be ok with a air cooler (coolermaster 212) or should i opt out for a water cooler (corsair H60 or something). Not sure if I will overclock if i get the i7-6700k. Its only $20-30 more than the non K so im thinking might as well...

On a side note im feeling good about the dual 290x's. I think 4k will make it pretty darn nice!

It should be fine with the 212 Evo (my 4790K ran in the low 70s at full load at stock under one), but won't give you much room for overclocking. The H60 will probably not do any better (maybe a few degrees), so I'd skip that. If you're looking for good temps, you should look into a good air cooler (NH-D14/15 or similar) or an expandable AIO or DIY kit. A full blown custom loop is not out of the question either.

Bottom line, it's your money, and can be spent a lot of different ways depending on how much of it there is, and what you are looking to get out of it.

If I get the i7-6700k will i be ok with a air cooler (coolermaster 212) or should i opt out for a water cooler (corsair H60 or something).

I'm running an i7-6700k at 4.2 GHz 1.25v with a Hyper 212 Evo (don't know how many versions of the hsf they did). Currently the system is doing small prime finding tasks (sits in L3 cache, not ram limited) and it is sitting up to 73C with the room somewhere in low 20's. In another system I have another i7-6700k, but with a Corsair GTX H110i. That typically runs around 55C at same clocks.

Even if not overclocking, the i7-6700k will run at 4 GHz base whereas the non-k runs lower. If you can still exchange the CPU, for most things the performance value would be get the i5-6600k and overclock it to 4+ GHz.

you will be fine with that air cooler and some mild overclocking on the 6700k.

another thing i just realized is that the computer will be in a small closed closet and it gets hot in there! With that is air cooler enough or will water cooler be better for me?

Back