• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

manually set timings for 1600hz. still registers 1333?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

respartan

Registered
so i went into my bios..i saw that the 1600 ram i just installed was set to 1333 timings(according to the bios). i switched the "auto" to "manual" and changed the timings to the 1600 timings..however the bios still shows it is running at 1333 in the spot that it shows "memory speed"...why?...

there was a "ram info screen" where it showed "STD" timings(1333) vs "xmp1" timings(1600)..thats where i got the timings to change it manually..do i need to change to xmp1 somewhere that i am unaware? or is it running at 1600 timings(i did change to manually) but only shows 1333 as the speed?

sorry...i am a noob when it comes to this stuff

Enabling XMP should automatically set the correct speed and timings for your RAM. Where that option is should be in your MB manual.

From your description, it sounds like you just changed the timings, but not the speed.

i checked the manual..it doesnt tell me how to switch to xmp1...doesnt even mention it...:(
the only options i see for the ram other than the "auto/manual timing" are "multiplier" and "command rate"

Last edited:
biostar h61mgc

i can get to a screen that shows

STD ------ XMP!
1333 ------- 1600
9 ---------- 9
9 ---------- 9
9 ---------- 9
24---------- 24
107---------128
10-----------12
5-------------6
5-------------6
5 ------------6
25 -----------30

and thats how i got the timings for the ram so i could set it manually...but i cant change the speed for some reason or figure out how to get it to xmp1 settings

Set your DRAM multiplier to 16. That should give you 16 x 100MHz for 1600MHz.

On page 28 of the UEFI BIOS Manual for your motherboard it shows this:

Capture.PNG

However, the 16 may only be available in the H61MLC motherboard, I'm not sure.

Regardless, the DRAM multiplier is your RAM speed setting; 10.67 = 1066MHz and 13.33 = 1333MHz. So, if 16 is not there, then you can't run the RAM at 1600MHz.

well that is very unfortunate...do you think a bios update would fix this?

It's possible.

Be sure to check your motherboard revision (6.0, 6.1, 6.3, 6.5, or 6.6), and make sure you download the BIOS for that revision.

When changing the revision in the dropdown menu on BIOSTAR's website, it looks like 6.0/6.1 don't support 1600MHz.

i have 6.6.but i have a bios from april 2012 according to the website..which is weird, considering i bought it like 3 months ago....is updating a bios hard/risky?...i've never done it before...

It's usually not hard to update the BIOS, but there is definitely risk. A bad flash can brick the motherboard. I've updated plenty of BIOSes without issue, so as long as the flash isn't interrupted, it should be painless.

flash?...hmmm sounds like i need to do some googling..lol..i REALLY appreciate your time

thank you.. seems kind of scary...they even say not to do it unless you are having issues, which i suppose i am, but my comp works fine now and its scary to think it might not if i do this...

Back