• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Manually setting the CPU speed on a P5W DH Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WebMaximus

Registered
Hi,

I have a P5W DH Deluxe MB with an Intel Core2 Duo E6600 CPU and I have trouble manually setting the CPU speed in BIOS, I can only choose between the current value and AUTO instead of getting the whole list of values.

However when using the AI Booster utility I get the whole range of values from 100-450 MHz...what do I need to do in BIOS to be able to set the CPU speed there?

Thanks in advance guys!

w2richwood said:
go to jumper free sit to manual then use + - keys to put in your fsb hope this helps

Thanks but I already tried setting it from AUTO to MANUAL but all the different MHz values still won't show up but only the value it's currently at plus the AUTO value.

Any other ideas why the values are not shown in the list...?

i have no idea thats the way mine works maybe clear cmos by unpluging the power and pull battery and put cmos jumper on 2&3 then back to 1&2 after a few seconds hope this works btw what bios are your using

w2richwood said:
i have no idea thats the way mine works maybe clear cmos by unpluging the power and pull battery and put cmos jumper on 2&3 then back to 1&2 after a few seconds hope this works btw what bios are your using

Actually I'm back on AUTO again since the o/c wasn't stable and I don't have the time nor patience :) to start playing with the voltage levels etc. At 2700 MHz all seemed stable until I started a flight in FS 2004 and after maybe half an hour a got a BSOD... When running 3DMark 2006 my result at 2,4 GHz is about 5900 compared to 6100 when running at 2,7 GHz so quite honestly I'm not sure its' worth stressing the HW for only 200 points. Of course what you see in actual gameplay etc is more important than the result in a test program but I don't see any obvious difference during gameplay either.

I'm using the latest version 2004 BIOS, upgraded today.

Thanks anyway for trying to help me!

WebMaximus said:
Actually I'm back on AUTO again since the o/c wasn't stable and I don't have the time nor patience :) to start playing with the voltage levels etc. At 2700 MHz all seemed stable until I started a flight in FS 2004 and after maybe half an hour a got a BSOD...

I'm using the latest version 2004 BIOS, upgraded today.

Thanks anyway for trying to help me!

I would think that chip would handle 2700 without breaking a sweat.:confused:

Peepaw said:
I would think that chip would handle 2700 without breaking a sweat.:confused:

I guess you're right, I think the problem is I'm not sure about all the settings in BIOS...not only for the CPU but also all other settings related to o/c like memory settings and so on...I'm sure someone with more knowledge would be able to setup my PC to run stable @ 2,7 GHz or maybe even above the 3 GHz barrier. When I was running at 2,7 GHz the CPU temp was in the range 45-47 degrees and according to AI Booster that's well within the safety margins.

Go into the BIOS jumper free settings and chose manually set fsb (cpu) speed. Then highlight the cpu frequency by using the arrow keys. There are no "values" for it to display, you either type in a number or use the + and - keys on your number pad. Next, either type in a number or hit the + key a few times (best to raise it gradually, say 5Mhz at a time). So if it is at 266 then type in 270 (or hit the + key four times) and hit enter. Hit F10 to save settings and it will reboot. Check for stability and if stable go into BIOS and raise it to 275...etc etc etc.

Set the RAM to manual also. If you have the FSB at default (266) set the RAM to DDR2 533. This is your 1:1 divider and it will automayically raise to the proper speed each time you increase the FSB. It should always be 2 X what your FSB is. Ex. FSB 300 = DDR2 600.

In chipset page just set the RAM to SPD.

As you get near 300FSB you may have to raise the vcore. To do this you will need to go to the BIOS CPU config page and disable everything except microcode updation. You can also enable modify ratio support if you like. That will allow you to use different multis, but you can only lower it. Lower multi will help you get higher fsb at lower temps and lower vcore.

After disabling all that CPU config stuff you will now be allowed to raise you CPU voltage (vcore). Do this only after you have reached max stable Mhz and have gotten unstable. Raise it one notch at a time, checking stability each time, until stable again.

My E6600 did 400Mhz on the 8X multi at 1.375vcore on P5W DH Dlx. This worked good for me with DDR2-800 RAM synched at 1:1. I would expect yours will do similar.

GL -Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim and thanks for your thorough reply!

I tried what you suggested and now my PC seems to run stable @ 3,38 GHz, just completed a 3 hours flight in Flight Simulator with no problem and I never had this good FPS in FS before :)

I currently have mine running ROCK SOLID at 3.6 GHz with the following settings. Keep in mind that I water cool so I have no idea about air cooling temps at this speed.

Here are all the Bios settings currently:

Jumperfree Settings

CPU Freq 400
DRAM Freq DDR2-800 MHz
Performance Mode TURBO
PCI Express Freq 100
PCI Clock Sync 33.33 MHz
Memory Voltage 2.1
CPU VCore 1.5
FSB Term Voltage 1.3
MCH Voltage 1.55
ICH Voltage AUTO
Digital Home Mode DISABLED

Chipset Settings

DRAM by SPD ENABLED
DRAM ECC Mode DISABLED
Hyperpath 3 DISABLED
DRAM Throttling DISABLED
Memory Remap DISABLED
PEG Buffer Length AUTO
Link Latency AUTO
PEG Root Control DISABLED
PEG Link Mode AUTO
Slot Power AUTO

CPU Settings

Microcode Updation ENABLED
MAX CPUID DISABLED
Execute Disable Function DISABLED
EC-1 Control DISABLED
CPU Internal Thermal DISABLED
Virtualization Tech DISABLED
Speedstep DISABLED

WebMaximus said:
Hi,

I have a P5W DH Deluxe MB with an Intel Core2 Duo E6600 CPU and I have trouble manually setting the CPU speed in BIOS, I can only choose between the current value and AUTO instead of getting the whole list of values.

However when using the AI Booster utility I get the whole range of values from 100-450 MHz...what do I need to do in BIOS to be able to set the CPU speed there?

Thanks in advance guys!

Glad you got this figured out....It seems all along that all you had to do was manually type the CPU freq. instead of trying to select it from a list of values.
I got that from your first post alone...:beer:

Back