• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Many Thanks to all WC members

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

henryluo

I have been reading posts on WC for couple of weeks. I finally made all my orders on parts 2 weeks ago.

Special thanks to Conumdrum's heart-touching effort in most posts and Spawn-Inc's excellent explanation. Despite the fact that I did not receive any direct reply from these two guys, since I have never posted anything here previously:), I gained most of my WC knowledge from them via their posts and replies to others. :soda:

You may review my rig below. currently, CPU stays at 48C load, 40C idle. GPU stays at 45C load, 42C idle. I7 is really generating loads of heat even at 1.15V

I will post some pic later during the week. (pics added)

p.s. I am also waiting for Windows 7 pro 64-bit to give this beast a free run

Many thanks again.

Last edited:
holy crap, wicked temps! what's your ambient?

glad to help, even if not directly :)

pics?

Thanks. If it wasn't for responses like that we'd just stop wanting to help folks. And you did it on your own, your an almost 'roket scientist'. Or a geek, kinda the same.

Awesome!

Spawn, idle temp of CPU was the highest among 4 cores. Idle temps are normally 36,37,39/40,36. Applying max load with prime95, temp differences are much smaller, within 2C. Is this normal to see differences in temps while idling? I am using 1/2 ID, 3/4 OD tubing with 1/2" barb, provided by Swiftech.

Temp of GPU was not very accurate. 2 more days of obeservation, it idles at 37C, max load 41C

Ambient temp is a problem, believe or not, I don't have a thermometer at home.

I will post pic today.

Yea, you can see 5-6-7 between cores at times. It's usually how good the internal heat spreader is put on the silicon chip under the metal top. Can't do much about it. Your chip is actually pretty good. You could try 4-5 remounts and record values to see if you get a big difference. Your fine from what I can see.

Your GPU is about right. I have two 280s, they idle at ohh 36-37 and load at under 50 or so.

If you loaded the CPU with 8 threads of Prime 95 AND ran Furmark at the same time for an hour we'd know where your full cooling ability is.

It's n00bs like me that help geeks like you learn! I ask, the others answer, you read, me and you both learn. Its win-win!!!!

On that note, a MASSIVE thanks to all who have put up with my questions and such over the last few weeks. To name a few; Conumdrum, Spawn, Hokie, Otter, BeHappy, ascl. There's more out there.

I tried other forums to find the answers, only to get flamed for not knowing in the first place and never any questions answered. Then I found these forums. (I, like yourself, trudged through pages upon pages of forums till my eyes hurt and had narrowed questions to just a few before I even had the guts to sign up here) but I'm glad I signed up here because the community is great!

I have learnt so much through these forums is unbelieveable! And I owe it all to the constructive help of the WC regulars.

Kudos guys! top notch!

P.S. I'm in the middle of accumulating the items for my WC build, just waiting on a few out of stock items)

Last edited:
Here comes pictures!
Unfortunately, since I brought this mid-tower case way before I knew how to WC. Therefore you will see an ugly external radiator hanging at the back of TT armor+ MX. Believe me, this case looks huge outside, but it is tiny inside, in terms of usable space.

IMG_6.JPG

The good news is, after several measuring and planning, i can fit both pump and res inside the case without kinking any tube. I did not use any additives. I know it looks awsome, but I'd rather have longer maintenance intervals.
IMG_5.JPG

The space between pump and my GTX 285 is very close.

IMG_7.JPG

The rest of pics.
IMG_9.JPG

IMG_4.JPG

IMG_1.JPG

Diablo 3 FTW!

You could have saved a little bit of tubing by sitting your pump on top of the video card.

J/K...don't do that. :) Looks good.

The only suggestion I have is see your monitor? See that sticker on the right hand side? You can remove that. It's not like the removing the tag from your pillow that can put you in Leavenworth.

Welcome to the world water. Now you will find something you don't like and then rip it apart.

Hear-hear:beer:... well spoken Henry and JP.

I was holding my praise/thanks until I was finished with my build, but this thread seems a good place to post it. I began my foray into water cooling a few months ago and pretty much went through the same "can't ask a question without getting my head bitten off" thing as well. I have found this site to be an oasis for those who, like myself, actually want to learn about wc'n without having to wade through all the 'leet snobbery that seems to pervade many other sites.

Thanks to Conundrum for sending me here to begin with... and not least for that massive cut'n paste. Your insistence on making us think for ourselves while providing all the tools/resources to help us do so has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Also thanks to Hokie for all the friendly advice and encouragement... as well as that great Gilgamesh review. Keep up the good work.

And to Spawn... I still remember that you tube vid you posted to help me with my fan/noise decision. Thanks for going outta your way there bro.

I would also like to give a nod the mods/admins, whose firm warnings and occasional wielding of ban hammers have likely kept the flamers at bay.

:):thup:

Nice looking build henry... don't mind the rad hanging off the back... you gotta work with what you have, ya know? Hey, what keyboard is that you're using?

The system looks great, I like the blue but it would be great if some of the wires could be hidden in a sleeve or such.

You should talk to Hokiealumnus about writing an article about your experience researching and building your first WC system:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=620216
Yes, yes you should! Looking like a very nice build there. You aren't kidding about the space thing though...those armours always looked bigger than that; guess I haven't seen that many water cooled. You did well with it!

There are some good folks in this forum and I'm proud to be associated with them. It's the least I can do to try and give back to the community that helped me get started as well (with respect, thanks and kudos to Raymo from The Raptor Pit for giving me the water cooled fever to begin with). :)

EDIT - aphellyon, I just saw you were in RTP. If you ever need real help, just let me know and I'll try to work it out. :)

nice work henry

love the rad mounting! external all the way. although a well done internal can be sexy.

you could have saved some tubing by flipping the pump so the intake was facing the top.

I never expected a reply from our administrator! I will see what I can do with Hokie for our forum.

Spawn, see that's the problem of being a lunker, not asking question. I assumed that MPC655 cannot be placed in that orientation, similar to the issue of horizontal oriented yate fans with sleeve bearing.

TT armor does not allow me to hide power cable behind MB. It was a horror to fit most cables through a 3cm*3cm hole, where you cannot see from my pictures.

My keyboard is Microsoft Sidewinder X6. I love this one because of the seperable number pad.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=102

Now, I need some suggestions on fan controller.
requirement
1. 4 channels
2. 1 channel will be used for the three parrallel connected yate fans at 0.33A each, if I recall correctly
3. 5.25" bay mount
4. must have 4-pin connectors, my case fans are all equiped with 4-pin connectors
5. not too expensive

Thanks guys

Back