• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd 3930K Watercooled Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rjb

Registered
Hi folks...frequent a few other Forums but new to this Site....I like it as it seems there is a very active WC'ing Enthusiast Gang here :)
I should mention built several Ris in the past but this one is first go at a Custom Loop.

So...been running this Loop for a few weeks now...close to that anyhow, so just want your thoughts on my Temps.....okay..?...or is my OCD once again taking hold

First the Loop:
Pump: D5 Vario / Res combo - pump running at a tad over #2
XSPC EX 360 Rad up top - push / pull Corsair SP Series exhaust
XSPC EX 360 Rad below - push / pull Noctua NF F Series Intake

2 x 780Ti w EK Full Blocks
3930K w EK Supremacy Copper / Acetol

Been playing around with my CPU OC a bit, gaming etc and thse are my Temps:
Ambient Room Temp around 22c

CPU: 101 Bclk * 48 = 4.85 Ghz w 16GB Corsair Doms @ 1880 Mhz 9-10-9-27 2T
EDIT: Forgot to mention Offset OC'ing - vcore under full load 1.392v - 1.401v
GPU's: +145 Mhz Core / +260 Mhz Memory = Run at 1244 Mhz gaming

CPU under full load LinX 15 Cycles - Core Temp: Max Temps 71c - 65c- 62c - 69c - 60c - 68c
All idle around 27c - 32c
I believe with my previous Swiftech H320 push / pull just cooling my CPU the Temp were about +6c compared to present Temps.
Playing BF4 I get a Max CPU Temp of 64c with all the other Cores around 55c - 58c

GPU's Peak Looping Heaven or a 60 min session of BF4 stabilize at 45c - 48c (both seem to idle at whatever the room temp is)

All Fans on the Rads are running around 80% - so there 1450 RPM Fans, would think they're running around 1100 - 1200 RPM.

So, these Temps seem alright?

Couple of things I'm considering:

1. I didnt install the 2011 Socket Jet Plate on the CPU EK Block (left the installed Jet Plat on, as instructions stated "optional"), would installing this reduce temps much on the CPU?

2. Adding a 240mm Rad to the Loop down below.....if I did this I think I would have 1 set of Fans on both Rads down below (not push / pull)

3. Swapping out the top 360mm Rad for a full Quad 120mm Rad up top.(and still adding 240mm Rad below)

Anyhow, for you WC Enthusiasts your opinions on my Temps is much appreciated, sorry, fairly new to the Wet World so still monitoring / questioning some basic stuff I know.

First and foremost welcome to OCFs!

After reading and analyzing your situation, I believe your pump is too slow and you're not in the 1.0-1.5 GPM threshold. With such a complex loop I would go no less than setting 4 on that D5.

I also believe you need to reseat your CPU block. It shows signs of air pockets by the looks of some of the temps. It does seem pretty high but than again you're OCing it.

If you take these steps into consideration than I believe you should see a few degrees knocked off.

Your GPU temps are fine.

What are your Delta-temps?

Wondering what fluid and biocide is being used in the loop? Are your rad fans getting good access to ambient air? What configuration is your airflow setup in the case? Have any pics of the rig?

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the quick reply, just to answer your queries:
1 x EX 360 Rad up top "push / pull" exhaust (6 x Corsair SP 1450 RPM)
1 x EX 360 Rad below "push / pull" Intake (6 x Noctua NF F Series 1400 RPM)
Case is a 900D:
Up front 3 x 120mm Silverstone Penetrators (Intakes)
Top / Rear 1 x 140mm Noctua Intake 1400 RPM

I bled air like crazy having Rig in every orientation possible (excluding upside down) ;)
All Micro Bubbles disappeared after about 4 days of operation.

The 3930K is running 101 x 48 for 4.85 Ghz

Delta Temps CPU about 35 - 40c (Idle to Load)

Fluid is clear Fesser 1 (no additional additives)

I'll try an attach a pic....only 2nd Post here so not sure if it will work or not ;)

DSC03198_zps0a1cf62d.jpg

DSC03197_zpsdab69315.jpg

Cheers

Those temp look pretty damn good to me. Run 2 ddc pumps with mcp35x2 should take care all of your water flow.

ps. To get more uniform in temp with each core. You should try to reseat/reapply thermal paste.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...I posted some pics but I guess the Post has to be cleared by Mods...

rjb,

You needed a couple of posts before pictures would list.

Nice clean rig you have, nice job.

We have a crew of some of the best WC guys there are. No, I'm not one of them! :)

:welcome:

^^^ Okay understand...was hoping to get a Signature in with my Specs as well, but that option isnt available just yet..
Yep, thats why I'm here....big WC'ing crowd..love it ;)
Think there is a few here that maybe from my "hangout" over at HWC ;)

Until I get my Signature option available and for potential Posters, here's my total Specs:
3930K @ 4.85 ghz (101*48) Offset Mode +.085v Load vcore 1.392v w EK Supremacy
RIVE w 3402 BIOS (old but no issues)
16GB Dominators 1880 Mhz 9-10-9-27-2T
2 x Evga GTX 780Ti Sc SLi w EK Full WB - Boost to 1244 Mhz
AX1200W
Intel 180GB SSD (Boot n Apps)
OCZ 240Gb Vertex III (Games)
WD Black 640 GB n WD Red 2TB (Data)

900D w 2 x XSPC EX360mm rads ( 1 top n 1 bottom - both push / pull )
Total of 16 Fans running on 4 Channel 200W Lamptron FC9 Controller

D5 Vario Pump / Photon 170 Res combo
Fesser Tubing 3/8" ID 5/8" OD all Bitspower Black Fittings
Fesser 1 Coolant

W7 HP SP1

cheers
AX 1200W

Included in my recent post I would also change fluid to distilled water w/ kill coil and tubing to Primochill Advanced LRT. With the tubing you are using now you will see signs of plasticize and clouding if it were clear.

Next Service Coolant change ;) I've only been charged for 2 weeks ;)

Whats the big advantage of Distilled water with kill Coil over Fesser 1 Advanced coolant? I've read a ton of info and (no offense) seem its more a personal opinion then anything else....I dont use colored Coolant, only clear.

Your temps are fine. Without knowing your loop order I cannot tell if you gain much changing the pump speed but you can test cranking the pump up.
I use D5 with two rads and two EK blocks and load temp improves with more pump power.
Unless you have a specific reason to run your CPU cooler(stability with said voltage etc) I would just leave it as it is.
Difference in pump speeds can be significant to a point and cracking up the D5 will improve temps guaranteed but if you are happy with them leave the pump running as it is. When you have sufficent radiator capacity you can get away with slower pump speeds and this will increase your pumps life expectancy.

^^^ Yeah I think I'll move to "Summer OC's" now as well ;)
Loop order: Rez / Pump > Top 360mm Rad > CPU > GPU's > Bottom 360 Rad > to Rez / pump ....the additional 240 Rad would go between bottom 360 and Rez / pump

Dropping my CPU to 4.7 ghz, I can drop my vcore to Offset +.045v - Loaded vcore 1.344v, drops my overall temps by close to 5c ;)

CPU Temps at 4.7Ghz:
59c 59c 55c 56c 58c 58c

Peak Temps for each Core:
69c 64c 60c 59c 63c 66c

I'm present;y running pump at #3 Setting - 3125 RPM.
Think at this point I'll plan adding another 120.2 to the mix ;)

For a #2 setting on the D5 with 2 EX360s, a 3930k @4.85Ghz and 3 GTX780TIs those temps are pretty good. I have lower temps but my 3930k is at 4.5Ghz and I have a single GTX780 Classified heavily OC'd. I also have a RX360 plus a MO RA3-420 so I have much more rad space. I would increase the pump to #4.

Next week I will be changing out my XSPC Acrylic D5 bay reservoir for a Twin D5 XSPC to increase flow rates.

I installed the XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res with 2 Swiftech 655s set at #4 ( replacing a single D5 bay res with a Swiftech 655-b which I understand is equivalent to the #4 setting on the 655 with #1-#5 settings). WOW flow rate really increased. It's slightly louder but cooling performance increased. Previously, when I ran Intel Extreme tuning cpu stress test the cores ranged from 56 to 62C. They have dropped to a HIGH of 58C. Perhaps the increased flow rate helps the heat dissipation.

I switched the jet plate for LGA2011 with a D5 @ 4 and 120.8

Here is what I am getting on a prime1024 run, using a few more volts though

Attachments

• Prime%20Temp%20Check%20For%20Music.jpg
    Prime%20Temp%20Check%20For%20Music.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 879
^^^ Impressive....I'm going to replace the Jet Plate when I next "service" the Loop....also swap out the 360 for a 480 up top and add a 240 down below...that will equate to 120.9....should be fine, although its still pretty good now.

That's what I'd be curious to know.....what are Max load Temps running 10 - 15 Cycles LinX ?
A single run of Prime won't heat my Core up to temps I see stress testing with LinX.

I know I'm not comfortable running my CPU 24-7 with vCore (load) higher than 1.42v, perhaps it's okay but that's my personal cut off ;)

Back