• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Microsoft updates Vista with many Fixes today, Should Silversinksam reinstall it?

• No, don't be stuck on stupid, reinstall Vista only after Vista SP1 is released mid year

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Yes, Reinstall it TODAY, we love seeing you miserable while using Vista

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Vista Sucks

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I love Vista

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Gotta love Microsoft, they just released a major patch where they fix some of the very problems that forced me to delete this DRM laden Vista turkey two days ago.
I bet you many of these patches were scheduled to be put into Vista SP1 code named Fiji, due out mid year. They released all these patches just to spite me, or they have been getting to many customer support calls asking why so many things didn't work properly, but I'm sure they did this just to spite me.
knight.gif

PS, I posted this info in the Vista Poll thread, but thought it was notable enough to post as a stand alone thread, since that poll thread has over 100 replies.

I should start a new poll asking: Should SSS give Vista another try now with this major compatibility patch, or should SSS wait until Vista SP1 is released. My vote would be the latter, but some of you may not like me, and vote reinstall Vista, so that I get further aggravated by this DRM laden turkey.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932246

March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 932246
Last Review : March 15, 2007
Revision : 1.2
On This Page

INTRODUCTION

MORE INFORMATION

Update information
INTRODUCTION
The March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update is a package of software updates that address common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista. When you try to install and run certain legacy games or applications in Windows Vista, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: • The game, the application, or the firmware may not be installed correctly.
• The game, the application, or the firmware may cause system instability.
• The primary functions of the game, the application, or the firmware may not work correctly.
This update is cumulative and supersedes update 929427. In addition to the fixes that are contained in update 929427, this update improves support in Windows Vista for the following games, applications, and firmware: • Lenovo Presentation Director 1.0.0.1
• ACDSee 8
• Trend Micro Internet Security 2006 (PC-cillin) 14.0 – 14.59
• Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 (PC-cillin) 15.0 – 15.19
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Administration Tools Pack
• RealNetworks RealPlayer 6.0.12
• AOL Safety and Security Center 2.5.4.1
• Toshiba Tecra M7 1.70
This update also includes fixes that are contained in update 929427. These fixes improve support in Windows Vista for the following applications: • IBM Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore 3.00
• Rosetta Stone 2.1.3
• Microsoft Encarta Standard 2007
• Family Feud Online Party
• Crystal Player Professional 1.97
• Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1
• Total Commander 6.55
• Sony FeliCa Port (PaSoRi) 3.0.0.0
• Label Mighty 6
• AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.0.47
• LEGO Star Wars
• HD Tach 3
• Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 4.0
• Digital Zenkoku Map Townpage Database 7
• Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.0.3
• EasyRecovery Professional Version 6.04
• Microsoft Money 2005
• Microsoft Money 2006
• SmartInstall 2.16
• Adobe Creative Suite CS2
• Jv16 Power Tools
• SG TCP Optimizer 2.0.3
• CyberLink PowerCinema 4.0
• Google Desktop 4.2006.1008
• Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5
• Adobe Premiere Elements 3
• Battlefield 2 Deluxe
• Opera 9.02
• Palm Desktop 6.0
• Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006
• Microsoft Flight Simulator X
• IBM SmartSuite Millennium Edition - Freelance Graphics 9.8
• LimeWire 4.12
• Calyx Point 5.3
• Bitvise Tunnelier 4.20
• Sun Microsystems Java Control Panel
• Azureus 1.0
• HD Tune 2.5.1
• BeatJam 2006 SE
• Justsystems Ichitaro 2006
• Adobe Photoshop CS 8.0
• ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5
• Sun Microsystems J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9
• AOL 9.0 - x64
• Microsoft DevStudio 9.0
• The Weather Channel Desktop 5.0.1
• Absolute Poker Version 5.7
• BitLord 1.1.5.6
• SpeedFan 4.31
• Delphi 7 Professional
• TweakNow PowerPack 2006
• Microsoft Office 2003 Web Folders
• Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
• Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5 Plus
• Virtual CD 8
• Macromedia Fireworks MX2004 7.0.2.295
• Doranet Kids Nyugaku Jyunbi Taikenban
• Doranet Shogaku Ichinensei Taikenban
• Minna de TV Denwa Starter
• Power Utility - Remote administration 3.1.0.0
• MotionDV STUDIO 5.8J for FUJITSU
• Softex OmniPass 1.0.0.1
• Minna de TV Phone Starter 2.1.0.1
• Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Enterprise Edition
• Microsoft Age of Empires III
• Microsoft Age of Empires III : The WarChiefs Expansion Pack
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: African Adventure Expansion Pack
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Endangered Species Expansion Pack
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania Expansion Pack
• Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Zookeeper Collection Expansion Pack
• Microsoft Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
• Microsoft Fable: The Lost Chapters
• Microsoft Dungeon Siege II
• Microsoft Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna

Back to the top

PS, I made the poll with multiple choices, for example, you can pick poll answer 1 and say poll answer 4, or any combination you see fit.

If your bipolar, you can select answer 3 and 4 and love and hate it at the same time. :beer:

DRM ridden? MS isnt the one forcing DRM on you so dont get mad at them.

i say reinstall if you got the time ? are all your issue fixed in this update or were thre others. ?

Mr.Guvernment said:
DRM ridden? MS isnt the one forcing DRM on you so dont get mad at them.

i say reinstall if you got the time ? are all your issue fixed in this update or were thre others. ?

With all due respect, Please don't tell me what I can and cannot get mad at, ok? When Vista stops me from watching DVD's I purchased legally, I can be mad. I can play them perfectly fine using XP on my Dual boot pc. Vista and it's DRM madness is the cause of this issue. I can play DVD's with content protection on all my XP machines and every dvd player in my house. Vista wont allow it due to DRM, plain and simple. Maybe if you had this problem and couldn't watch DVD's you'd feel the same.

I've spoken to Microsoft and they could not provide me a work-around. I also have 2 DVD burner in my PC and one extra one external via SATA, treid them all, and tried numerous programs to watch them, all give me the DRM warning that the disk contains copyrighted content and cannot be played. I'm talking about playing them, not copying them. The only program I could watch a DVD is via ANYDVD, which strips the content protection on any DVD you put in your DVD drive. I'm not Paying $69.95 for Anydvd just to watch DVD's. Vista is the problem because of the DRM implemented in Vista

Also I have several problems with Vista, this is only one of them, but a couple of the problems like improved BF2 game speed is in this patch are addressed. I'm equally ****ed of with the MPAA about DRM, but I did not get my OS from the MPAA or one of thier partners like Sony, I got my OS from Microsoft via Vista and it won't allow me to watch DVD's.

If you don't think DRM isn't being force-fed to people using Vista, you don't know what your talking about. I suggest you do some research. Bill Gates himself has said DRM is a real nightmare, yet it's very prevalent in Vista.

IMO wait to see what shakes out of this update and wether it would help you. I am a fan of Vista, but after just wiping Vista, there is no point in reinstalling it.

hey sss ....im POSITIVE that they are doing this to YOU specifically ... im sure i saw a memo going around the other day .... lol

MS isnt the one forcing DRM on you so dont get mad at them.

Dude, you really need to do some research on trusted computing and windows vista. Sam is just beginning to learn the hard way what Vista is all about.

But, the problem that you had likely is because Windows Media Player is buggy.
Sounds like Microsoft is required to go back to the drawing board with Windows Media Player 11. (or which version number of the one that comes with Windows Vista)

There's no way in the universe I'm gonna install Windows Vista until I get a brand new video card!
Vista will suck unless you have at least a GeForce 7!

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
But, the problem that you had likely is because Windows Media Player is buggy.
Sounds like Microsoft is required to go back to the drawing board with Windows Media Player 11. (or which version number of the one that comes with Windows Vista)

There's no way in the universe I'm gonna install Windows Vista until I get a brand new video card!
Vista will suck unless you have at least a GeForce 7!

I hear you 100%, my collection of about 300 store bought DVDs won't play in Media Player 11, but then again they won't play in NVDVD, DVD magic and two other (software) DVD players. They would only work in a 30 day trial of ANYDVD that someone mentioned I should try. They do in fact work with Anydvd, but the reason as I mentioned is AnyDVD strips the CSS and the other copyright encryption the moment the DVD is recognized by the DVD drive. AnyDVD is $69.95, and I would only need it to play Legally bought DVD's, so to me this is outrageous caused solely by Vista's DRM protocol. I know many others have this same problem.

Already bought a new Raptor for Vista, a new copy of Diskeeper Pro Premier for Vista, and a few other programs. I had to draw the line in the sand with Vista when the DVDs wouldn't play in any program in any of the 3 DVD drives I own.

If I want to watch a DVD on my PC, I have to boot to XP or pay $69.95 to AnyDVD to be able to watch them from within Vista....I mean c'mon.

greyharte said:
hey sss ....im POSITIVE that they are doing this to YOU specifically ... im sure i saw a memo going around the other day .... lol

You know they are, I have my spies in Redwood City and the memo was forwarded to me, but my MSFT spy used this self destructing email free service so he wouldn't be compromised. :beer:

I read the memo, and it disappeared ! So I ain't got no proof of 'nothin'..
The day after I remove Vista, MSFT releases like 50 major patch fixes, including one for BF2, which was on my list of numerous Vista Annoyances. :bang head

Actually, Vista's "trusted computing" has the ability to make documents that self destruct after a period of time, that cannot be forwarded, whose consent to be read by other people can be revoked by the writer, or that can only be read by certain people. It's all part of "trusted computing".

Some more basic reading on the design principles of Vista for you Sam (i.e. what windows vista is really all about... hint... it's not aero):
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Now's a good time to do it. You haven't invested much time yet setting XP up the way you like. If it still doesn't work for you, you've only lost an evening of your time.

Why am I not seeing this update? I just got my primary rig running again (leeky apogee), but I dont see it. I checked the update history, and the last update to Vista itself was the 14th of March. All that is left it some language packs, bitlocker, and holdem poker.

::edit::

Appears it was available on the 13th of March and that is the update I got on the 14th.

Well, I am going to go watch a DVD now ;)

Last edited:
johnz said:
Now's a good time to do it. You haven't invested much time yet setting XP up the way you like. If it still doesn't work for you, you've only lost an evening of your time.

Actually my XP is pretty much fine tuned since I wasn't stuck on stupid and backed up my original XP image on my smaller Raptor HDD 2, I simply ghosted the image back to the larger Raptor after Vista was deleted. :rolleyes:

Looks like the majority of people want me to reinstall Vista and be miserable, this time, I'll install Vista on my secondary Raptor and see if any of these fixes actually fix anything.

SSS

Don't reinstall Vista - You know in your heart that it is wrong.:)

Seriously, I think I'm not brave enough to try it until SP1 is out.

Good Luck!

That's probably because your posts get entertaining when you start to get ****ed off.

MRD said:
That's probably because your posts get entertaining when you start to get ****ed off.
Yep. I think Bill is ROFL'ng at SSS right now... he's gonna pull some more stunts too I bet. Perhaps release an update to Vista to render the new $99 (which I bought too, sigh) Diskeeper useless. LOL.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill has a whole control panel on his PC that remotely disables functionality on Sam's Windows installs. Then he alt-tabs to ocforums to read the posts.

Back