• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Microsoft updates Vista with many Fixes today, Should Silversinksam reinstall it?

• No, don't be stuck on stupid, reinstall Vista only after Vista SP1 is released mid year

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Yes, Reinstall it TODAY, we love seeing you miserable while using Vista

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Vista Sucks

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I love Vista

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
RJARRRPCGP said:
But, the problem that you had likely is because Windows Media Player is buggy.
Sounds like Microsoft is required to go back to the drawing board with Windows Media Player 11. (or which version number of the one that comes with Windows Vista)

There's no way in the universe I'm gonna install Windows Vista until I get a brand new video card!
Vista will suck unless you have at least a GeForce 7!

Hey I'm running Vista on my Geforce 6 with no probs.

Uhm to make another linux suggestion. Try VLC media player.

Now, I'm not saying use Vista, no not at all. I'm just saying I prefer VLC media player when watching DVD's/movies.

MRD said:
Pretty sure Sam tried VLC and still got a DRM error.

Well I always aim to please, so I reinstalled this Vista but I did so smarter this time around. I did a clean install.
Cleared some things up, and I can now watch DVD's, but I had to buy yet another program to make it work, Nvidia Purevideo decoder, add another $19.99 to my running Vista tab. Interesting thing is, when I ran the Purevideo Decoder trial last time around, I got the DRM content is copyrighted warning, I guess it works only when you actually shell out money.... Simply crazy and strange.

I can tell you this though, WMP is still screwy as heck, I put on a MP3 and was halfway through the song when I said a prayer and put in the dvd, Blood Diamond into the DVD player, then the DVD did fire up without that insane, 'This disk cannot be played since it's copyrighted crap', but the MP3 song that was playing in WMP would not stop playing, even though the DVD was using WMP and I had a double soundtrack, the MP3 and the DVD.... Crazy, but this is just a bug I can live with and I'm sure it will be fixed. At least no more of that DRM 'this DVD cannot be played due to copyrighted content' warning...

Gaming still pretty much sucks compared to gaming on XP, despite that big Vista patch(s) that came out. Installing Folding@Home was a major nightmare and not running properly (It stalls and or just stops running, and I'm showing about 419 days till completion of a work unit, never seen it do this before.....
Tried running it in XP SP2 compatibility, that's borked as well. Didn't have this problem with Vista the first time with Vista. Now I've seen it give insane projected times for completion when you start and stop the workunit, especially if the WU is new and the program picks up later, but never have I seen it stall or stop while folding.

nikhsub1 said:
Yep. I think Bill is ROFL'ng at SSS right now... he's gonna pull some more stunts too I bet. Perhaps release an update to Vista to render the new $99 (which I bought too, sigh) Diskeeper useless. LOL.

If he did that I'd track him down and stick a Vista disk up his @SS sideways, then follow that with every disk that isn't Vista compatible. I have a stack of CD's that won't work with Vista, so Billy will have a sore butt if he's intentionally causing me this grief.
beatdeadhorse.gif

Bottom line is this, IMHO, if your on the fence about buying or installing Vista, I still stand by my recommendation of waiting until Vista SP1 is released in a couple months. If you were smart, even at that point in time, see how well the Vista SP1 is treating people.

Newer is not always better, Vista is proof of that, especially when XP is pretty much solid as a rock, and Vista is as solid as swiss cheese.
cheese.gif

PS, I'm deleting Vista and waiting for SP1

Stay away from Vista..... I'm getting it free and still plan on keeping XP until Crysis comes out, then I'll dual boot...

MRD said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Bill has a whole control panel on his PC that remotely disables functionality on Sam's Windows installs. Then he alt-tabs to ocforums to read the posts.

It wouldn't surprise me, the day I initially deleted Vista, right before, I rebooted and all my IE icons and IE in the >ALL PROGRAMS simply evaporated. The only way I could even start Internet Explorer was by clicking a link from within an Email.
Luckily I get a bajillion PM's and report a threads sent to me via e-mail daily, so I have plenty of links to click that will bring me to Internet Explorer..

So as I said, it wouldn't surprise me if ol Billy is testing my wherewithal. Hey Bill, if your reading this:
moon.gif

:beer:

I am sorry to burst bubbles but there will be no vista SP1. technically there is nothing wrong with the os that cant be fixed by normal updates. the issues that surround vista are actually problems with 3rd party utilities and old junky hardware and software.

Airbornederekc said:
I am sorry to burst bubbles but there will be no vista SP1. technically there is nothing wrong with the os that cant be fixed by normal updates. the issues that surround vista are actually problems with 3rd party utilities and old junky hardware and software.

I hate to burst your bubble, but your misinformed, SP1 was announced even before Vista went on sale at retail.

http://apcmag.com/5098/microsoft_kick_starts_vista_sp1

Airbornederekc said:
I am sorry to burst bubbles but there will be no vista SP1. technically there is nothing wrong with the os that cant be fixed by normal updates.
Well haven't Windows service packs usually just been packages containing a bunch of normal updates? Plus as SSS said, it's already been announced.

Soichiro said:
Plus as SSS said, it's already been announced.

In case he doesn't believe me or that site I linked to, I'll post some other links.

PS, Vista SP1 code named Fiji has been confirmed by Microsoft, it's not a secret and it's not speculation, the only thing we don't know is the exact date of Vista SP1's release.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/01/24/HNvistaservicepack_1.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/23/microsoft-fast-tracks-fiji-service-pack-for-vista/

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_roadtogold_07.asp

http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?editorialsid=8149

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20064

Hmm if SP1 upgrades the kernel, I would NOT want to simply perform an inline install of SP1... not that I ever like doing that. For me it will be mandatory to slipstream SP1 into vista.

nikhsub1 said:
Hmm if SP1 upgrades the kernel, I would NOT want to simply perform an inline install of SP1... not that I ever like doing that. For me it will be mandatory to slipstream SP1 into vista.
QFT...
Altough I have had no issues going from vanilla XP Pro to XP Pro SP2 using the microsoft SP2 disk....

Back