• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

master list of i865/875 motherboard problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckMan212

I have played with many a mobo these past few weeks and have put together a "master list" of assorted problems and shortcomings of each of them. Thought it might be interesting/helpful/whatever. Please add to this list and I will try to maintain this if anyone cares. Also I am not going to list "Pros" here only "Cons", just to keep it shorter.

so here we go:

Abit AI7
-----------------------
cpu socket at 45deg. angle prevents installation of certain waterblocks (notably: dtek Whitewater)
cannot use "normal" thermal monitoring sw (mbm/speedfan) -- have to use crappy "uGuru" software which crashes games
ATX12V connector (the square one) is way to far from the regular ATX pwr connector just adds to cable clutter in the case
no CSA LAN/gigabit enet
FSB seems to "drift" occasionally from what you set in BIOS - i.e, you say "300" and when you reboot you will be at 299.

Abit IS7
----------------
no CSA LAN/gigabit enet
CPU socket at 90deg angle, same problems as AI7 when mounting waterblocks
wimpy voltage regulation caps and VCore coils have way fewer windings = less stability and power to CPU, esp. PressHots
very bad AGP slot arrangement = cannot remove DIMMs without taking out video card
AGP slot + several caps too close to Northbridge make it hard to mount certain NB cooling solutions including Z-chip + Swiftech MCW20

Abit IC7/IC7-G (not MAX3) rev 1.0
------------------------------------
seems to have major probems with 5:4 divider with most RAM I tested (BH-5, CH-5 and Hynix)
VTT mod needed if you do the VDIMM mod and that is a difficult mod + requires cutting traces on board (risky)
unstable RAM voltages, noticable "droop"
generally seems plagued with problems relating to BIOS/Memory and they generally can't be fixed with BIOS update-- seem to be hardware related
(-G only) problems with PCI slots 3-5 where sometimes the machine won't boot with certain cards in those slots

Asus P4P800-E Dlx rev 1.02
-------------------------------
cannot mount Z-chip Northbridge waterblock because of large capacitors too close to NB
no active cooling on NB (not a problem if you use water, but most don't)
poor VCore regulation... must do difficult "droop mod" to get stable VCore volts
poor AGP slot placement blocks RAM unless you remove video card
ugly color PCB :p
1 out of 2 boards I got was D.O.A.

Asus P4C800-E Dlx rev2.00
---------------------------------
out of 5 boards tested, *NONE* were stable over 288fsb
no active cooling on NB
ugly color PCB
poor VCore regulation... must do difficult "droop mod" to get stable VCore volts
expensive/overpriced...loaded with useless features that just add cost (Promise Raid/wifi slot/etc)

Out of these, the AI7 has the fewest shortcomings for serious O/Cers I think. If they would just make a Canterwood version of that board with CSA LAN and fix the placement of the CPU socket, Abit would have a real killer on their hands.

Abit AI7

FSB seems to "drift" occasionally from what you set in BIOS - i.e, you say "300" and when you reboot you will be at 299.

thats the same issue as with the Abit IS7(-E)
after rebooting it often displays -1MHz, but in Windows it's all right again.

another problem @ Abit IS7:
only up to 2.8V Dimm Voltage!

edit:
very bad AGP slot arrangement = cannot remove DIMMs without taking out video card
that depends on the video card. i have a (HIS Excalibur) radeon 9600pro and i can easily change dimms.

Last edited:
Re: Abit AI7

[url]www.darkblau.de[/url] said:
another problem @ Abit IS7:
only up to 2.8V Dimm Voltage!

well I don't know if I would call that a "problem", since only 1 board I know of (AI7) allows up to 3.2vdimm with the "stock" BIOS setting. Sure it would be a nice feature to have on all mobos but 99% of the boards don't do it, not just the IS7.

right.
i just say it because with this voltage, i couldn't get any RAM above 245MHz i've tested so far...

-> My RAM-Test (german, sorry :( )

the IC7max3 brings up to 3.2V
Asus P4C800-E deluxe: 3V i think (?) but with a quite good overvolting
what about the DFI lanparty pro875?

if your asking if the ai7 goes up to 3.2 thats correct, i have one and i can run my ram up to 3.2. i just don't need to so im at 250fsb at 2.9

Epox 4PCA3+ Rev 2.2

- I had to RMA the mobo twice
- Vdimm in BIOS goes up to 3.3 but actual Vdimm only gets you about 3.07
- Seems really flaky, but maybe it's just bad luck.

hmm that's funny AudiMan... usually Epox products are really solid. Not always the fastest, but solid. I've had an 8RDA+ running Win2k03 server for months on end without a reboot. Not o'cing too much though.. running a Barton2500 @2.1ghz.

I agree. When I was into AMD I was almost only buying epox boards, but I guess they're not so hot when it comes to Intel. This damn 4PCA3+ is going to be RMA'd for the third time now. :mad:

Let's not forget the vtt problem with IC7-Max3. Only 2.8 of the 3.2 vdimm is usuable.

AI7, 865 chipset is NOT as fast as the 875 in most benchmarks

P4C800-E, droop mod not as difficult as one would think, but afters, vcore still fluctuates 0.02-0.04.

Back