• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best non gaming motherboard to use all the capabilities of AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MSwhip

I am not a gamer, and I am not planning to overclock just yet, but I cannot seem to find a motherboard that gives Me the features I do want, but not make me pay for those features I do not want.
My list of desired features are
PCIe 4.0 (at least for 2 M.2 Storage devices)
USB 3.2 Version 2 (at least 2 ports) + a few 3.0
HDMI
WIFI
RJ-45 port for ethernet
no SLI GPU needed
4 slots for HHD Sata III
2 slots for SSD Sata III
supports AM4 AMD Ryzen 5 3600
at least 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600Mhz in 4 slots (preferably accepting 16GB memory sticks)
no RGB support whatsoever - if it has to come with it, then with the possibility of disabling RGB connections-

Thank you kindly for addressing this request

Last edited:
Moved from mod hotline to public and correct section for the best help. :)

To be honest... sounds like several boards will fit that bill. But they dont come a la carte either. It is what it is. RGB can be disabled on most (all?) boards. But maybe consider looking at workstation class boards from the major vendors (asus, msi, gigabyte, asrock, etc). You can also look at add in cards for missing items... usb 3.2 v2 ports, etc...

Should be able to figure it out using this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

I mean it looks like you need 2 m.2 slots, HDMI, WIFI, ethernet, 6 SATA ports, and the USB. Doesn't seem too difficult. Some of the things you mention (pcie 4 and memory support are chipset specific, so all x570 boards should be capable of those things). You're not super clear about your desired memory configuration, but x570 supports 128GB so your 4x16GB should be possible. However doing so at 3600 is probably a long shot with any board. To roughly quote someone somewhere (I don't recall the source) "I've encountered CPU / motherboard combinations that just wont pass 3200, put the CPU in a different board and it does 3600 no problem, put a different CPU in the board and it also does 3600 no problem." That's probably just with 2x8GB, so you're asking a lot of the platform if you want to see 4x16GB running at 3600, but hey it could happen. If that's a serious goal do some research on topology. Of course the real world difference is pretty small going from 3200 to 3600, so you might re-consider what you're willing to accept if you actually need 64GB.

Last edited:
What form factor do you need? ATX, mATX, mini ITX? Is this motherboard going in a mid or full tower case or something smaller?

That's just a description of any X570 motherboard with WiFi. Something like ASRock X570 Extreme4 AC should do the job but there are many other motherboards like that. There are no X570 motherboards designed "for work" which are at a reasonable price. There are single "workstation" motherboards but for listed requirements won't be any better than lower ATX series with WiFi.

Since mATX has mixed reviews and ITX won't support everything on the list (like no 4 memory slots) then there are only ATX motherboards.

What Woomack said immediately above. Essentially, there are no "non gaming boards" for the 3xxx series Ryzens. All of them have the X570 chipset and must be pretty stout to handle the power draw of the Ryzen 3xxx CPUs and PCIe 4.0 peripherals. But, if you don't care much about NVME v. 4 then you can still use the Ryzen 3600 on many previous generation 4xx chipset boards. Just do some research first to find out which 4xx chipset boards actually work well with the 3xxx Ryzens. All will advertise they do but not all of them do it well in reality.

Last edited:
Back