• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max voltage on Mobile 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

What is the maximum safe voltage I could run my mobile 2600+ at? I am currently rock solid stable at 240x10 at 1.6V and was able to push up to 250x10 at 1.7V last night but it was not rock solid stable and I was leary of pushing the voltage up anymore.

Any input would be welcomed....thanks!

The absolute core max voltage for a Mobile Barton according to AMD is 1.9v, for the 35Ws its 1.85 and for the desktop its 2v. There is a legenthy computation to find this but I have forgotten where it is located at

Voltage doesn't kill processors, heat as a result of voltage kills processors.

What matters here, is your load temperatures, your overclock's stability, and the stable MHz gains per mV overvolt that your processor sees.

~ When you begin to lose stability as a result of the extra heat which overvolts produce, you are pushing your overvolt too much, and either need to lean off of it, or get better cooling for better temperatures.

~ The "safe" temperature for your processor, is heavily dependant on the amount of voltage you are giving the chip. 2V, with nice 40 degree celcius load temperatures should be safe. 2V, with 60 degree celcius load temperatures is dangerous, and could damage your processor. Your cooling type is largely irrelevant - some people using aircooling in a 15 degree celcius ambient temperature see better load temperatures then many watercoolers do. Watercooling in a very hot room will not be as effective as aircooling in a very cold room. It is the temperature, not the cooling type, which matters.

~ When you no longer see stable MHz gains as a result of overvolting, you should not be overvolting further. Every processor is different, some play well with voltage, and others do not. If your chip does not see gains at high voltages, or dimishing stable MHz returns per mV overvolt start to kick in, your processor is telling you something.

~ It is a myth that each processor has a "voltage limit", a limit that if passed, will destroy your processor. Each and every processor is different, and behaves differently once heavily overvolted. You need to pay attention to the warning signs (diminishing MHz returns, load temperatures, loss of stability) in order to chart out what kind of VCORE voltage your processor 'tops out at'.

~ Nobody can just hand you a number, and say "don't cross this overvolt", with any sort of accuracy or consistancy. Such numbers are complete rubbish, unless that person knows every single one of the variables (overclock, temperatures, stableMHzgain:VCOREovervolt ratio, stability) involved in your specific situation.

~ There is an exception to the "Voltage doesn't kill processors, heat does" rule of thumb: that exception is common sense and logic, as it pertains to overvolting. AMD says that "XXX Voltage is the absolute limit for this type of processor core"; these numbers which AMD gives out are well above the average processor's VCORE limit, as determined by carefully examing the variables which I have explaind above. Most processors stop seeing gains well before such a high overvolt is reached. The numbers which AMD gives to us, more or less represent the limits of common sense. Obviously, giving your Barton 3V of VCORE, will damage it. Most motherboards do not allow such high, unsafe overvolts in the first place.

I hope the above information is useful to your situation. What I have written is not opinion, rather what I have gathered from personal overclocking experience, and the anecdotal experiences of many other overclockers.

Last edited:
Mine on water wont go over 2V because the zalman reserator isnt that cool, and my office is quite warm. It does however allow me to up the speed to 2.65 or so depending on the temerature that day.

Sentential

The absolute core max voltage for a Mobile Barton according to AMD is 1.9v, for the 35Ws its 1.85 and for the desktop its 2v.

Use the desktop numbers, and with a rice-sized grain of salt, when it comes to Barton core processors.

Mobile Bartons use the *EXACT* same core as Desktop Bartons, just with a different stock FSB speed, and with "PowerNow!" enabled. Even the 35W chips use the same Barton core.

These processors have been aggressively speed-binned, to find the chips that can run stock M-XX00+ speeds, at a low VCORE. In Laptops, power comsumption and heat are large concerns, Mobile Barton chips cut down on both, by being able to run their stock speeds at a very low VCORE - this is also why these chips are amazing overclockers; stableMHzgain:VCOREovervolt ratios tend to scale fairly consistantly. This means that a chip which does 2000 MHz stably with 1.45V of VCORE, will almost always end up overclocking much better than a chip that does 2000 MHz stably with 1.65V of VCORE.

The standard (speed-bin) for Mobile Barton processors was (I say 'was' because the chips are no longer fabbed AFAIK) simply much higher then for desktop chips - there are no physical differences that would dictate a different maximum VCORE voltage rating.

AMD likes to play with wool, often pulling it over our eyes. Do not trust their numbers, except as a general safety guideline. If your Barton-core processor sees stable MHz gains overvolted at 2.2V, and heat is not an issue, by all means overvolt it that high.

felinusz

AMD says that "XXX Voltage is the absolute limit for this type of processor core"; these numbers which AMD gives out are well above the average processor's VCORE limit, as determined by carefully examing the variables which I have explaind above. Most processors stop seeing gains well before such a high overvolt is reached. The numbers which AMD gives to us, more or less represent the limits of common sense.

Last edited:
I guess I will keep pushing it up till I don't like the temperatures I am getting. This might all change come summer and the amibent temp in my hosue increases a little. Thanks for all the input.

I have also been doing Sentential's burn in procedure to help stablize at lower votlages and it seems to work, so with tha combination I hope my board gives up before the CPU does.

The only thing now i think ur mb will start to give u problems :bang head
maybe not if you are lucky . What color are your ram slots ?

I have problems with my NF7s over 245 fsb i get a bios rom chip check sum error .

I'm running 11.5x202 1.7v and I just put it in. Second boot. I'll run some benches tomorrow. Good so far. CPU at 33c. No load. Looks like i'll be able to crank her up some.

Last edited:
Like fel said.. as long as you keep that temp nice and cool.. you can give 2v no prob on air.. if temp is fine.

Wow - felinusz, Sentential, Cow2kie, Spacemonkey and dippy_skoodlez all together in one thread in 2005!

I keep reading the old threads and it's great to see you guys are still here and active. Also, c627672 and many others still help out. Thank you for the excellent information you all provide. I appreciate that very much!

Quentin said:
Wow - felinusz, Sentential, Cow2kie, Spacemonkey and dippy_skoodlez all together in one thread in 2005!

I keep reading the old threads and it's great to see you guys are still here and active. Also, c627672 and many others still help out. Thank you for the excellent information you all provide. I appreciate that very much!

That gave me a good chuckle :) I never thought of me as one of the guru ppl on the site. :p But thanks :santa:

Back