• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maxi-jet 1200 / Via Aqua 1300 hard proof there made to run inline??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think becooling is going o get sued ALOT for false advertising........ and mislabeling a product.........especialy after people via pumps die and kill there system,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Penguin4x4 said:
So it has to be submersed?
That's what they said but I still don't get it ..Where is this water supposed to run through the top to cool it?? It looks completely sealed there for I believe the water running through the pump it self would cool it ..

see where the cord goes in??? the water enteres there and cools it----- when you take it out- the water drains out from there----
Spyder

Thanks, The Spyder..
I just replied to the e-mail I received and asked if there are two versions of the pump and pointed them to the Becooling site...I don't think these pumps should be sold as inline if this is not what the manufacturer intended..

I just bought this pump from becooling and nowhere on my box does it say "inline".... also I ordered mine from them with the barbs attached and so it came opened and resealed as expected, HOWEVER, it came with no instruction manual :mad:

....So who knows....

well what do you expect? Everyone who actually bought the product has told everyone that they must be submersed in water because the engine is not air cooled and it doesn't have any contact with the water going through the intake and exaust. Your Eheim outboard pumps cool by air convection caused by the moving parts inside the housing . Being fully submersible how do you expect the air to contact the moving parts? It's kind of obvious than a submersible pump would not be cooled sufficiently by just being out in the air. Remember, water is over 20 times better at cooling than air is.

Yes these sites are falsely advertising the way to use these powerheads and anyone who has had bad experiences do to this should contact either via-aqua or maxi-jet's corporations and notify them of the company selling the product under false pretenses. It's illegal.

The maxi-jet and to a lesser extent the via-aqua are amazing pumps that should last you over 10 years of constant use if used properly. If making a little 4x4x4 enclosure is too much work for you then go with the eheim at triple the price. Either way you're increasing the temperature of the water by cooling the pumps. The only way you get out of it is having a pump outside of the computer cooled by a much larger quantity of air.

anyways, good luck.

safemode said:
If making a little 4x4x4 enclosure is too much work for you then go with the eheim at triple the price.
Nope , I totally agree with the res (for cooling of the pump itself) Just trying to get to the bottom of this ;) .I just don't like being mislead by false advertising

Last edited:
I must say this place is very responsive to there E-mails!
This is the follow up..Now if you wern't confused before..haha

Hi Steve,
There are many people use the ViaAqua pumps as a inline pump.

----- Original Message -----
To: tatwai
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 11:29 AM
Subject: Re:

This sight is claiming they are a inline pump are there two diferent versions of the Via Aqua 1300??
http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/116.htm?529
" 370GPH, 6+ feet of lift. Quiet, High Quality pump! Comes preassembled with 1/2" nylon barbs for use in inline cooling setups. A GREAT DEAL!!!

Dimensions with fittings pre installed -
5" long, 2.25" wide, 4.25" tall "

Thank you for your time,
Steve

----- Original Message -----
To: my e-mail ;)
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 12:18 PM

Hi Steve,
The pump is designed to be operated fully submersed at all times. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me again
Kevin Shiotani
Commodity Axis

rUfUnKy said:
Hi Steve,
There are many people use the ViaAqua pumps as a inline pump
how helpful :rolleyes:

i am thinking though: if you buy a ViaAqua and run it submerged, it would increase the water temperature compared to, say, an EHEIM. the reason being that the pump is one more thing your loop needs to cool. add the fact that EHEIM is not a mag drive and therefore would not produce magnetic field (hence safer to use inside the case), and maybe its worth the extra $40...
:confused:

that's the same bs as in the other eheim thread.

Both pumps produce magnetic fields. Both pumps use electrical motors.

If you use an eheim inside the computer it's going to raise the ambient temp of the case and if the radiator is using case air to cool itself it's going to be using hotter air. The effect of a submersible pump that uses water to cool itself is going to be subjective to the configuration you have your water cooling when compared to an outboard pump.

I dont see inline being very important. It's all about closed circuit and open. and whether it's inline or submerged, it can still be closed circuit or open.

Tiger said:
With ref to the Maxijet (I have 2) it states in the accompaning booklet that they can be used in-line or submerged and show diagrams of how to use them in both configurations. I personally have found that the seals on the Maxijet impeller housing are not that good and they leak when used in-line.

i havent had any problem with my O rings in over half a year... and iv taken it apart many a time...

One more question are the prefitted barbs on the Via Aqua 1300 (from becooling) 1/2" ID or OD??? Thanks :)

ok, time to clear this up once and for all. the standard via aqua pump is a magnetic drive pump which has both inlet and outlet in it, and is capable of running submerged under water. It has 2 threads, one on the roof, and the other on one side of it. the threads are 1/2" npt, SORT OF. they are the same diameter, and thread distance, but their height is different than standard 1/2" npt. now, if you wish to run the pump submerged, it comes with a grill and filter that attaches to the side with the fitting and covers it. it comes standard with its own fittings which have a 3/4" barb on it. you can pull the side cover off to expose the thread there for the inlet, and attach a second 3/4" barb on it that it comes with. the reason BECooling sells a version with 1/2" fittings is because of the non-standard npt height. the 1/2" fittings used by BECooling are special fittings of that non-standard height to make it 1/2" barb.

now, this whole buisness about not running it "outside of water level" is because of the mag-drive style of pump it is. if you run it with the inlet dry, the impeller will spin OUT OF CONTROL very very fast and it will wreck itself FAST. now, there are NO gears in this design whatsoever, and the whole impeller simply sits inside the pump by means of magnets, very neat design. this makes the damn thing silent, but makes it dependant upon having the inlet wet. you can do that by submerging it, or filling it so that the inlet is wet.

Via Aqua does not make 2 models of the pump, BECooling just modifies them personally.... they can run inline, without problem, I have one doing just that right now. the pump is silent, excellent, and I wouldnt have it any other way.

They are made for 1/2" ID tubing. If using silicone or tygon tubing, 3/8" ID tubing will also fit over them.

Now let's cover some things here, kids.

1) This ViaAqua consumes 28watts...if your heatercore (most being rated around 1200 watts) can't handle that extra 28 watts, then I don't know what to tell 'ya, except they saw you coming.

2) Yes, the pump is supposed to be used submerged. As if that's my first broken warranty. The only moving part still has the water as it's lubricant, same as in submerged mode. Running automotive fluids through them is approved by your warranty? Doubt it.

3) If the motor is 70% efficient, then there's only 30% of that 28 watts being given off as heat (don't have a real rating to work with).

In short, until I see the 3rd post titled "The little pump that couldn't afterall", then my ViaAqua is staying dry. And for $22 apiece, I can still kill two and submerge the third and be even with an Eheim. The Eheim's are swell pumps and all, but in the end, they move water, same as any other.

Ok well I still haven't quite decided weather I was gona run dry or in a water tight electrical box (but still inline)I'll have to see when I put it together what I'm most comfortable with ...Ether way I have to agree with you Diggrr I could kill 5 of these pumps and it still wont brake the bank (providing it doesn't take anything along with it :eek: ) and thanks for the responses on the barb size ;)

Wow I got scared when I first saw this thread and some of the posts in it...

But I agree in the end.. it's still getting watter..

please note guys on those scanned instructions.

The SECTION is "Applications for Aquariums, Waterfalls, - etc" to make it short.

the warning after it is labled "A", usually meaning it's a subsection and applies to that section only.

SO what this bad translation is trying to say is, if you put this in an aquarium or something and DON'T run it underwater, like it is designed to (in said aquarium, waterfall - etc) then you are a retard and they won't replace it.

Now in light of what Diggrr has also said about water still going through, and all that, I think he's quite correct.

Also some guys have talked about pumps running hotter inline than submerged (I can't recall the post right now). Remember the power cord/drainage issue talked about earlier? This could possibly be a reason why. Extra water is getting to the pump and cooling it more.

I think it is safe to assume these pumps can be run inline if proper pre-cautions are taken.. and after all, it's 20 bucks.

I better be able to use the thing inline!!! I just ordered it for that reason. well if it runs too hot i can alwaya put a 40-50 mm fan on the motor housing and put some holes in it to cool it :)

safemode said:
Yes these sites are falsely advertising the way to use these powerheads and anyone who has had bad experiences do to this should contact either via-aqua or maxi-jet's corporations and notify them of the company selling the product under false pretenses. It's illegal.

Hey Safemode - why attribute evil motives to them when mere supidity will do? :D

Back