• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing an AM2: An update to Easy 1, 2, 3, Overclocking ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:welcome: to OCF!

The CPU-Z image you posted is showing a vCore of 1.184 but at this point you should have 1.35v set manually in BIOS and have Cool'NQuiet turned off. I'm assuming you're testing your top end clock at this point but either you've missed something in the Manual Entry and BIOS section or you may have a problem with your board. Here is the relavant section with highlights:
Manual Entry and BIOS
After running the stock BMs and recording the scores reboot the computer and enter BIOS. Find the above variables, set them all to manual entry, and enter the system default (stock) values for each. This is done because the BIOS has a very nasty habit of adjusting values on reboot if they are left on Auto or Default. Just like a lab experiment the idea is to change one variable at a time and Auto values can mess that up. The default values for common system components are:
System Clock: 200 MHz
CPU Multiplier: CPU rating divided by 200 (i.e., a 2400 MHz CPU will be 2400/200 = 12)
vCore: 1.35v
RAM ratio: 400 OR 800 OR 2:1 (depending on the BIOS list values)
vDIMM: 1.8v (but may be as high as 2.1v)*
RAM timings: This is the stock timings of the RAM as noted in it's specifications (4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15, etc.)*
*RAM timings and vDIMM are often printed on the side of the RAM stick and can always be found on the manufacturer's website
HT Link: 1000 MHz OR 5X (depending on the BIOS list values)

While in the BIOS also turn off CoolnQuiet (CnQ) and any CPU or system fan regulators. CnQ is found in a number of places in BIOS and allows the BIOS to change the CPU multiplier and vCore depending on the CPU load. It might be good for future use after over-clocking but not during. CPU and system fan regulators aren't a bad thing either, but it's better to keep the components as cool as possible right now so turn them off and turn them on afterwords if desired.

Final Stock Systems Check
Reboot the system just to make sure everything is running as it should be after the manual entry. Most motherboards have a drop in vCore between BIOS and idling (some worse than others) so run CPU-Z and note the vCore (Core Voltage) shown. Leave CPU-Z up and running, start Core Temp, then record the CPU idle temp(s). Leave CPU-Z and Core Temp open and start P95 - the CPU temp(s) should increase almost immediately. Wait a couple of seconds for the temps to stabilize a little and write down the load temps under the idle temps just recorded. (If the CPU is water cooled temps may take several minutes to stabilize.) Also, record the load vCore reading by CPU-Z. Compare the idle vCore to the load vCore - the difference between them is known as vDroop and is quite common on all systems (even Intel). A vDroop of 0.03v or less is fine, 0.03-0.05v is average. Over 0.05v is not so good but if it's steady it's workable. The real problems come from a load and/or idle vCore that jumps around a lot - greater than 0.05v up and down as you watch it with CPU-Z is NOT good and may effect your OC. Motherboard power chips (MOSFETs) and under-rated power supplies are often the culprits for this behavior.
Note there is also a Cheat Sheet in post #26 that also covers this.

It's important that each step is done in the order listed to make your overclocking experience a good one. :)

If you've followed the above then post back and we'll push a little deeper to see what might be causing the problem with your vCore drop.

Good luck ...!

I just fallowed it and coolnquiet was on so I shut it off and I changed the Vcore to 1.35v..
But CPU-Z is still saying its between 1.200v and 1.216v. Everything esle seems to stay the same after restart just not the Vcore

Then you should start a new thread in the AMD CPU section and let everybody help work out the problem. You should also list all your hardware - at a minimum: motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, and video card (or on-board video). There's a lot of talent here so I'm sure we can work it out ... :)

thanks a lot i really learn from this forum i was able to oc my phenom x4 2.5 all the way to 3.1ghz but danm psu surges i got a really cheap one a diablotek $29, when i put v-core on 1.4 it surges, but first it run ok and everything but after 5min or so it turns off and i got a message that mb safe feature was turn on because the psu surge. i already order a new one OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular Power hope fully i can oc with this one i have a Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler

Thanks for the update and tutorial. I have a problem that I think is really holding me back from testing effectively. When I try to lower the FSB multiplier from 16, to 6, it shows as x10 when I boot into windows. So the lowest my cpu will go is 200 * 10 = 2000. Do you guys know how I can get it to x6? I have cool and quiet disabled.

When I go back into the BIOS it will still say x6.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

Generally speaking the AM2 K8's don't run that fast (in fact, the 6400 is the only one that does), which is why the x6 multiplier is suggested - but it's not set in stone by any means. If the lowest you can go is x10 that's fine. Even a clock speed of 3000 MHz will not exceed the stock speed of the processor. :)

PS
I do suggest you actually use a setting of x10 though, instead of x6, so that the BIOS and the recognized setting agree.

Back