• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum CPU-NB clock on FX83xx ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I'm looking for an info about how high can you set CPU-NB clock on FX83xx cpus and till what voltage is it still scalling.
I don't really care about stability. All I need are bootable settings but I'm not sure what am I missing.

Yesterday I got FX8320 and I was trying to set as high memory clock as I can. No matter if CPU-NB voltage was on auto , ~1.3 or 1.55V+, results were the same so ~2800MHz , +/- 50MHz. It's exactly the same result as on FX8120.

I have memory that can easily pass 1500MHz ( DDR3-3000+) so it's not an issue.
Board is ASUS CHVF and so far I've checked 2 BIOSes including latest one ( the same results on both ).

Simply put have you gained anything, the Nb on these dont behave the same as the phenemons. So have you actually gained anything. You may find you are just getting more heat for very little return. Even when I had mine at 2400 it showed little gain so i left it at 2200. Stable there. Be interesting to know what perfomance gain you got out of it at 2800??

Here are some results up to 3050MHz CPU-NB on FX8120. I didn't check FX8320 yet. I don't really care about fully stable results as for me it can run at stock 24/7 but I want to make as high memory clock as I can and in this setup it has to be 1:1 with CPU-NB clock.

I made it boot @3350MHz CPU-NB with ~1.5V on ss cooling but memory clock has to be lower than 2800 or it won't even boot, not saying about any stability.
Results are generally the same on ss as on air cooling for max memory clock. I'm not sure if it's CPU itself or maybe mobo issue. Seems like ASUS dropped BIOS support for CHVF nearly year ago except CPU microcode updates for new steppings.

Woomack, I haven't tried to see how high I could push the NB and boot, but with my lack of skills in overclocking memory and the NB I have found 2700 + a few mhz on the NB to be about as high as I could push my 8350. With regards to any kind of stability for benching. I have also had issue pushing my Dram over 2000mhz but I'm sure that is mainly due to my aforementioned lack of skills especially with secondary and tertiary timings.

as far as "gains" go.
in bench marks i have not really found gains of value.
in doing "real" work, very large calculations that take hours, yes i have.
with a 2548 cpu/nb and 1700 ram speed at the same cpu clock from 2400 cpu/nb and 1600 ram under linux i have found about a 10% reduction in the time it takes to complete the task.
on my game rig I have found that increasing the cpu/nb along with faster ram has helped clean up stuttering and other issues.

I think in the back graound we might be going up the same road and i am a little behind you, do you mind if I pm you?

Back