• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus V GENE need ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

niwrad33

Registered
:attn:hi i'm new here.,please advice what ram should i used for my Maximus V Gene. I read some forums said that corsair vengeance have a bit problem when pairing to MVG, is that true?because this is my first choice of memory,,user of MVG pair in with vengeance please help. And also is there any big difference between ddr3 1600mhz to 1866mhz?. and about g.skill memory do you know what is the difference between ripjaw x and ripjaw z?sorry for my english...thanks:)

:welcome: to the OCF

Here is my memory overclocking guide made on MVG. I think that you find some answers there as article also includes performance testing.

I don't think that Vengeance series make problems on MVG but I didn't test them on my board.
If you want memory for gaming then anything ~1866-2133 is good. I could say 1600 but price of higher clocked kits isn't much higher now.

RipjawsZ are designed mainly for X79 boards while RipjawsX are designed for P67/Z68/Z77 chipsets ( also some others ). However you can use RipjawsZ on most Z77 boards without issues.

oh sir thanks big help.. so if i used g.skill the best choice is ripjaw-x, right? anyway if i'm going to buy 8gb (2x4gb)1866mhz kit. and maybe next month i will buy again an 8gb (2x4gb)kit, is that okay for MVG?, i mean if i use 8gb for a while and add again an 8gb...

Best is to buy 2x8GB kit but if you get 2x4GB + 2x4GB exactly the same kits then it should be fine too.
G.Skill ARES are newer series than RipjawsX and have lower heatspreader. Inside will be about the same chips if you care about overclocking.
You can also check something like Geil EVO Veloce 1866/2133 like this kit that should be available in your country. It's based on good chips and price should be low.
There are also ADATA 2133 kits in not that bad price.

i think i just buy a 2x4gb for a while, anyway i see your guide i'm going to read it, very useful even though i'm not very familiar right now on overclocking memory,, g.skill ares is a low profile ram right?, so if i buy a ripjaw-x 1866mhz can i overclock it using your guide?. do you have also a guide to overclock 3770k on MVG?using h60 cooler? what cooler did you use on your guide it seems that your cpu temp is -20. do you have friends or know something that pairing MVG to corsair vengeance?,i really like vengeance but i read some articles having a problem with it usually code 55 error and it just new build without oc

8GB RAM is good for almost everything.
ARES is kind of low profile. From G.Skill series you won't find lower. Blue have tighter timings, orange have looser ( and are cheaper ).
http://gskill.com/products.php?index=484

There is lot of threads and guides about overclocking 3770K in cpu section. Generally you set higher CPU ratio and higher vcore and that's all ;) At least on water cooling you don't need many more settings so most can stay on auto.
I made article on air and single stage cooling ( depends from tests ). Tests on single stage are showing -20°C just because it's lower limit for MVG BIOS and real temp should be lower.

Corsair Vengeance is standard memory. There is nothing special about it but it's good enough for almost everything as any other RAM.
Error code 55 can be also something else than only memory but there is chance that SPD/XMP settings are not compatible with MVG.
As I said I didn't test this memory but I doubt that Corsair made errors in SPD/XMP for so popular series.

what do you mean about g.skill you wont find lower and blue have tighter timing and orange have looser, sorry im a noob. so do you recommend vengeance ? do you think 1600mhz is enough?and can i overclock it? and sir i need your expert advice about overclocking 3770k ,what value should i apply in vcore and cpu ratio i'm not into benchmarking score you know i just need to oc it for better gaming btw i'm just using h60. thanks

what do you mean about g.skill you wont find lower and blue have tighter timing and orange have looser, sorry im a noob.
I meant heatspreader height but you have water cooling so it doesn't matter.
About other thing, for example ARES 2133 in blue heatspreaders have timings 9-11-10 and 2133 in orange heatspreader 11-11-11. Also these in orange heatspreaders are cheaper.

so do you recommend vengeance ? do you think 1600mhz is enough?and can i overclock it?
Vengeance isn't best series as I already said and personally I wouldn't buy them but it's enough for everything and you won't see special difference between Vengeance and other kits. You already said that some users have issues with Vengeance memory on MVG so better stick to something else.

1600 is enough for games.

and sir i need your expert advice about overclocking 3770k ,what value should i apply in vcore and cpu ratio i'm not into benchmarking score you know i just need to oc it for better gaming btw i'm just using h60. thanks
Raise cpu ratio to x40 and set cpu voltage manually to 1.20V. Run Prime95 ( free for download ) blend test for ~1h. If there won't be any errors then back to BIOS and check x41 ratio on the same voltage. If no errors then x42 ...
Each time 1 step higher. When you see errors then try higher voltage.
Since your cooling isn't best, I wouldn't use more than 1.25V what will be enough for at least 4.2GHz ( maybe higher, depends from cpu ).
Check cpu temperature with hardware monitor. Try to keep max load temps during Prime95 under 85-90°C. If it's too high then set lower cpu voltage.
You will probably never see 100% load in any game so you can count that maximum Prime95 temp is higher by about 15°C than what you will have in games.
For games 4GHz is enough and what counts more is graphics card speed.
Browse forums for some more results on similar cooling.

thanks for advice, big help for me ...pardon me is there any difference in performance if i overclock my ram in-gaming or it is just for benchmark?now i'm pointing out for a dominator ram,would you recommend this one?

oh wait another what do i need to disable/enable when overclocking 3770k in MVG and isn't required to oc ram before overclocking the cpu?or not?

thanks for advice, big help for me ...pardon me is there any difference in performance if i overclock my ram in-gaming or it is just for benchmark?now i'm pointing out for a dominator ram,would you recommend this one?

Really no difference. It will be like 1-2% more FPS and 100% higher price.

oh wait another what do i need to disable/enable when overclocking 3770k in MVG and isn't required to oc ram before overclocking the cpu?or not?

You can disable C3/C6 power saving stages and you can keep EIST/C1. Also disable spread spectrum. Other settings are optional.
You don't really have to overclock RAM as cpu overclocking base on cpu multiplier. If you really want to overclock RAM then it's better to make it on lower cpu clock to be sure that any issues will be caused only by memory settings and not cpu or something else.

You can disable C3/C6 power saving stages and you can keep EIST/C1. Also disable spread spectrum

sorry but where i can find this and do i need to disable "intel speedstep" <<<i'm not sure if thats correct thanks..

I don't remember exactly now and I'm not able to check BIOS on MVG. These are cpu settings so or 1st page and cpu options tab or 3rd page and cpu settings. Just browse BIOS and you will find it as there are all these options in only 1 tab.
You don't have to disable speedstep, it's optional for lower 4GHz clocks but disabling C3/C6 stages is helping with stability after oc.

I don't remember exactly now and I'm not able to check BIOS on MVG. These are cpu settings so or 1st page and cpu options tab or 3rd page and cpu settings. Just browse BIOS and you will find it as there are all these options in only 1 tab.
You don't have to disable speedstep, it's optional for lower 4GHz clocks but disabling C3/C6 stages is helping with stability after oc.

ok thanks ,,,going to post some result when i'm done..

Back