• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus VI Hero: RAID configurations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poljpocket

Registered
Hi overclockers,

I have just returned my second Gigabyte GTX 780Ti OC to my reseller and because I only got the amount as a "gift card" for their shop, I decided to buy some neat SSDs with that money. First of all, on the Hero, SLI with aftermarket coolers isn't great as the temp difference was over 10 degrees celsius and second, I just simply don't need the performance (Tomb Raider maxed runs at 60FPS at 3D 1080p straight with just one, so enough for me xD). So I'm slapping my head and asking myself why I even thought about buying another one...

Now, I'm back from the shop with 2 nice 250GB Samsung 840 EVOs. Now my question:

I have 2x 1TB WD Green drives for storage and an old Kingston 128GB SSD (asking myself if I still need it). What is the best configuration to run the new SSDs in RAID0 for games/media, the Kingston SSD for the system and the 1TBs in either RAID0 or separate for backup. If not RAID0, I think I'd swap them out for my 512GB Samsung Spinpoint F3's as backups. A lot of options there. My main concern is the Asmedia controller. Is this any good? Can I run the two HDDs as separate (Asmedia has no RAID support) to have less interference with the SSDs?

Thanks for any advice, ppocket

Back