• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB heat sinks how do I remove

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weetoots

I have two small HS held down with small blk pins. How do I pull them out without destroying them and the MB.

I think I know what you are talking about but can you post a picture.

If they are what I think they are, rubber pins, you can compress them and pull them out.

Exactly ^^...

You need to push the pin, then pinch the parts on the bottom and it should go back through the motherboard. Sometimes you may need needlenose pliers.

Exactly ^^...

You need to push the pin, then pinch the parts on the bottom and it should go back through the motherboard. Sometimes you may need needlenose pliers.

Man, I always need to use needle nose pliers. Don't think I've ever got one of those out without them. Pain in the butt to remove, even for me, and I've removed dozens of those.

I must ask though, why does the poster of the thread wish to remove the heat sinks? Is the board not working? Is the heat sink damaged? Running too hot?

Well, this old boy would like to replace the old HS compound with some new stuff.
The next time I have the MB out of the case, I will do it.

Go ahead and buy some thermal pads then, they typically don't use paste.

Go ahead and buy some thermal pads then, they typically don't use paste.

+1

Yes, don't use paste for the VRM heatsink (the one up near the socket, assuming we are talking about the motherboard in your signature), you need thermal pad for that. They do use paste for the chipset heatsink though (the one down near the PCI/PCI Express sockets and SATA ports).

Back