• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB+RAM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think so. You should be able to overclock your ram as far as it will go regardless of whether the socket is AM2 or AM2+. I may be wrong since I am an Intel user, but it seems very odd that you wouldn't be able to OC your ram due to a socket restriction.
Anyone?

I believe you can run both o_O

Unless you have to have a AM2+ for 1066?

well i know i can over clock to higher than 1066.. I just wanted to know if this mobo had any issues working with am2 (non +) and not being able to break that 1066 mark :)

You can install ram rated at 1066 and it will work fine in that board but the IMC (integrated memory controller) of the CPU will not allow you to run it at that speed. That CPU ICM was designed to work with ram speeds up to DDR2 800 but you can probably overclock it some. The board is not the limiting factor in running the ram at 1066 but the CPU you have chosen is. In this case, the value of having the 1066 ram is that it will not be the limiting factor as you are overclocking and your overclocking will now be limited by the headroom of the cpu. 1066 ram is downwardly compatible with CPUs with slower ICMs designed for DDR2 800, DDR 2 667, etc.

On the other hand, you have chosen a CPU that probably does not have much overclock headroom.

Last edited:
Back