• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"MCP" Waterblock Concept

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm thinking I'll put a drill pattern in the center of the block and compress the inlets to that point.
speed bump said:
Finally is the CAD program that you are using by chance solid works?
It'a Alibre, which is what my friendly machine shop owner recommended. The Xpress version is free and it is weird to learn if you've never done CAD before but it's very effective.

Son1990 said:
How much do you project it will cost to make?
Depends on where I get the copper.

nikhsub1 said:
CS, go with a single outlet, much easier to deal with and won't hamper performance.
Hmmm. In that case do I even need the flow ramp thingy in there?

This is all to educational. :) I'm going to edit the base design again because I don't think it needs quite as much depth as it has at the moment. Thankfully Alibre lets me work on one part at a time.

Last edited:
it sounds alot like the polarflo blocks, but with more surface area/turbulence

you may want to put a small pillar in the center of the block like polarflo does, and what cathar did with the G4/5 jet cups to create more turbulence

this block also sounds like it could benifit from a 3-barb design in order to equalize the pressure a tad bit better

i'm also looking back at the CAD pictures... and it seems as though theres not much in the center of the block to cool directly above the die - its all around the edges, which would probably give you undersireable load temps - maybe reverse the design so that its a pillar in the center, then with the fins tall, and get shorter as you go to the edges of the base

edit: and also have a drill pattern at the center around the pillar and between the first parts of the channels so its somewhat like the DD design posted above

and in the top of the block, create a cone shape to sit on top the f\channels so that water is forced to go through them, and not just skim over the top of them

just my input
-J

More revisions
mcp-block_9.jpg
With only one outlet the block can be much shorter. I also reduced the fins on the base a bit to make the whole unit cheaper and the outward flow more uniform.
I'm going to send the files to a friend who designs powder delivery systems and he should be able to give some input on nozzle designs.
mcp-block_8.jpg
The underside. The base bolts to the acetal top from underneath via 8 M3 bolts. And the mounting plate bolts in using 4 of the same type of bolts.
mcp-block_90.jpg
2.5" diameter x 1.5" height

Sneaky said:
you may want to put a small pillar in the center of the block like polarflo does, and what cathar did with the G4/5 jet cups to create more turbulence
In the dead center of the base? I couldn't make up my mind whether to make the exact center a drill hole or just a rod. When this block get made it would be quite easy to experiment with plugging up certain holes by sticking a small stainless steel axle through them.
And yeah I do the cup design similarly by making a custom milling bit. Which I can't figure out how to simulate in Alibre yet.

Last edited:
Finished the baseplate
mcp-block_91.jpg
Socket 462/478/754/939/LGA775/940
mcp-block_92.jpg
I'm not sure how to implement a socket 370 clip but the block should be small enough for one to be possible.

Edit: oops, need to edit it so that there's the options of putting the plate on the top.

Last edited:
Very Interesting,

I would honestly forget the 370 chip seeing as though it is likely that if you are watercooling a CPU, you would want to watercool something that is at least over 3000+ Rating these days. That block woult be very interesting indeed. Looks very intensive in terms of fabrication but it would looke like it would perform fairly well considering its design. I love to see one made and reviewed.

Good luck to you!
bryan d

PS - Love your custom rigs

Revised mounting bracket which can be attached to the underside, or topside of the block.
mcp-block_93.jpg
mcp-block_94.jpg
mcp-block_95.jpg
The 478/775 parts can also be removed.

The only feedback I've received from another forum is basically that the center is the only important area of a waterblock. And that's not something I'm inclined to agree with at the moment.
With that said I improved the underside of the collimater so that it's countour matches the base.
mcp-block_98.jpg
And the nozzles on the perimeter of the center point slight outwards to promote outward flow
mcp-block_97.jpg

I haven't been able to get my account at procooling activated... :shrug:
Sneaky said:
maybe reverse the design so that its a pillar in the center, then with the fins tall, and get shorter as you go to the edges of the base
I decided to try that. Ended up with this strange design after some experimentation.
mcp-block_99.jpg
Involves more blade work and less drilling and the process of cutting the shape leaves a spiral pattern behind so the surface is complicated even without the drill holes.

Last edited:
Etacovda said:
complication isnt a replacement for science...
I agree, it's amazing how simple a block like the nexxos and apogee compare in performance to a more sophisticated (and harder to make) block like the storm.

Decided to try something other than pins or fins.
mcp-block_991.jpg
Smaller, cheaper, and easier to produce. I think I need to do more research.

Last edited:
also keep in mind with some of the new dual core blocks you need cooling at more than just one spot.

why not design a water block that has a spiral design water flow, with a center input, and pins/blocks for turbluance? i'll see if i can explain it better with a picture when i get back from ym run to the store :santa:

Captain Slug said:
Smaller, cheaper, and easier to produce. I think I need to do more research.
CS, your research will necessitate you building blocks of different design internals and testing... no easy task, ask Cathar :D Looking good though, we can eyeball critique all day long, doesn't mean squat.

why wouldn't a basic design like this work?

waterblock.gif

Assuming the walls aren't perfectly smooth so that it woudl allow for some turbulance in the water. or is it that complex is always better and more effective?

That is REALLY flow restrictive, I think. I mean, all blocks are inherently flow restrictive, but this makes all of the water flow into a stirrer straw. I don't think that it would be an optimal design.

Luftwaffle said:
That is REALLY flow restrictive, I think. I mean, all blocks are inherently flow restrictive, but this makes all of the water flow into a stirrer straw. I don't think that it would be an optimal design.
ah ok. well i thinkt hat helps explain it a bit. gotta learn somehow. :santa:

Back