• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"MCP" Waterblock Concept

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With the jet discs that would give a decent exit velocity (between 2.2 and 6.8 m/s at 1 to 3 gpm flow rate) but probably still be pretty restrictive.

I'd like to see a prototype made.

For the record I also think the 1/8" channels are much better than 1/4" ones (at least with this design).

Also if you plan on keeping the outlet at 1/4 NPT it will restrict flow. I would go with two oultets at 1/4 or one at 3/8 if you can.

EDIT: did you get rid of the dimples in the base or can I just not see them from your last pic?

I had to redo the "dimples" but there are cups in the base that match the nozzles on the optional disc. And the channels in the base at present are 1/16th" wide and 1/8" tall.

mcp-block_9999.jpg
Interesting note: The material cost for just one of these block would be around $21. The machining time estimate at present is around 9 hours. If a programmable mill were used to do all of the drilling that is.

Last edited:
I am very partial to your last design.. more so than the rest.

Not to say they dont look good as well, but this one seems to be the most promising.

I'd be very interested in estimated costs (I suppose $21 for materials + 9 hours milling time is somewhat out there..) but most of us dont know the going rate for a CNC mill :)

Btw isnt $21 for the materials quite a bit? Or is that included the barbs, mounting plate.. etc. ?

Ankun said:
Btw isnt $21 for the materials quite a bit? Or is that included the barbs, mounting plate.. etc. ?
$21 is everything. Might end up a little bit less if the shop has some scrap I can use to make the base or mounting plate. Delrin is pretty cheap and I already have one of the taps I need, not that I'm including the cost of tools.

Code:
Black Delrin Rod 0.5" diam. x 5 feet 	= $1
Black Delrin Rod 2.5" diam. x 1 foot 	= $3
Copper 110 2.5" daim. disc x 1/2"t   	= $11.86
12" x 4" 1/8"t Aluminum sheet		     	= $8 (unless I can find scrap)
Steel capillary tubing 0.325 ID		= $4.70 per ft.

Last edited:
thegreek said:
make the inlet and outlet the same size, it'll be annoying to have 2 different kind of tubing in your system.
The tubing is the same size (1/2" ID) it's just the NPT thread sizes that are different.
I made the inlet larger to allow the option of using a larger ID tubing and to allow for more nozzles.

The going rate for CNC machining in my area is ~$75-100 per hour, also depends on the job complexity etc...

And having done machining before, just to clarify, you are estimating 9 hours MANUAL machine time from stock material to complete finish on this block (all components)? Because if so I really don't see how, and I'd strongly urge you to keep track of the time you spend manufacturing and report.

I don't think I can fathom how long it would take if I had to manually drill all of those holes so time estimates for that are beyond me. I think 9 hours would be more inline with having a programmable mill do all of the drilling.

The Procooling forum has helped me make some determinations concerning the jet impingement parts of the design. And hours upon hours of reading research papers has allowed me understand more of what I need to strive for in term of dimensions. It looks like brass rod will be easiest and will allow me to get the dimensions I want for each cup.
mcp-block_99991.jpg
This should have the optimal nozzle-exit-size to distance-to-cup-base ratio based on what I've read.
But all of these dimensions are variable now that I can simply drill out the hole size I want in whatever rod size I want. The next rod size up is 3/64.

And the outer shell is going to be made from black delrin so the model has been updated to reflect that.
mcp-block_99990.jpg
The design is ready to be built and I will get to that as soon as a few other things are out of the way.

Oh word, that's actually pretty cool. Originally, I was thinking you named it after the anime. :sn:

Come to think of it, it's based on that stuff. So, I'm retarded.

I have pretty much everything I need to make this block. I have scrap 1/2"t copper, scrap 1/2"t polycarbonate, 3mm bolts with a matching tap, and free access to a mill and a lathe. I'm going to try to shrink the block size down a little bit and then design a new top. All I need to order is the o-ring, the brass rod, and maybe a tap if the shop doesn't have a 3/8" NPT already.

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
I have pretty much everything I need to make this block. I have scrap 1/2"t copper, scrap 1/2"t polycarbonate, 3mm bolts with a matching tap, and free access to a mill and a lathe. I'm going to try to shrink the block size down a little bit and then design a new top. All I need to order is the o-ring, the brass rod, and maybe a tap if the shop doesn't have a 3/8" NPT already.
Nice to see you're still working on it, I thought it was dead also. Can't wait to see some prototypes :)

Back