• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory 667 vs 1066

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weetoots

Right now my memory is running at a little more than 667. I use this computer for some games, Silent Hunter 4, and of course web browsing.
Will I gain enough to be noticed, by adding DDR2-1066, since prices are reasonable. I am referring to my P5Q Deluxe.

Thanks

Timings have to be taken into consideration here. If your 667 is say 4-4-4-8 and your 1066 is 6-6-6-18 then there will be little advantage by using faster memory. If it were me I'd try to overclock the 667 to 800 @ tight timings say 4-4-4-12 smething like that. Most 667 will do 800 speeds with little issue.

as Opty said it's better to try oc your 667 sticks to 800+ than pay for 1066 as difference in performance won't be big or at least not worth to change all memory

Thanks guys for the follow up.

However, now I have a big problem. My computer won't start. 1 long beep and 3 short, not passing memory test. I have switched sicks around, cleaned the sockets with electronic cleaner, and scrubbed the memory stick's gold contacts with 90% alcohol and a cotton swab.
This happened a couple of weeks ago and cleaned everything and it started.
I have always been careful to not wiggle the stick sideways when I insert or remove.

Tomorrow, when the wife is away, I will use her DDR2-1066 to see if my memory has died.

Is there anyway to get it to post. without using the memory test?

Check with other sticks or if you overclocked something then clear cmos and check again.
Any DDR2 should be fine at about 2.0V if you are thinking about overclocking your sticks so if you make it post then try something like 800 5-5-5-15 up to 2.0V. If you make it work then try something on tighter timings.

All is fixed. Reset CMOS, adjusted some minor settings and pushed the go button. It works! Now back to OCing.

Thanks for reminding an old man the basics, again.

Back