• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory compatibility Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sigur Ros

Registered
Hi, I am building a gaming system for my son and I am concerned about the parts I bought.
I have not started yet so it's not too late to return and buy something else.

MB: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming-Plus

RAM: Patriot Steel Series 32GB kit #PVS432G360C8K

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

My question is about the memory compatibility with AMD.
I have read ads for memory saying "Optimized for AMD", etc. Not sure if just marketing hype?
But when I look at the description of this memory on the Patriot site it mentions "Compatibility: Tested on the latest Intel premium/high-end platforms and i7 processors"

Does this mean I should not have bought this memory for an AMD CPU ?

Any help is appreciated, thank you !

If you want to be certain buy a kit of RAM from your mothoerboards QVL (qualified vendor list). Those are kits that the manufacturer (asus) has tested with your board and confirms they work. here is the one for your motherboard.

Thanks.
Yea, I have looked at the list and it's not there, which is sort of why I'm asking the question.
I know memory can still work even if it's not on the list. Other Patriot Steel kits are there with just lesser sizes (8GB, 16GB), but still Steel Series. So I was just wondering if there was anything that should make me return this specific kit of memory and go with with something else. Or is it likely to work fine....?

I was testing Patriot Steel 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 on X570 and B550 motherboards and it was working fine. New Patriot memory kits are generally designed for AMD and Intel chipsets. As long as ASUS didn't fail the BIOS then all should be fine.

Btw. QVL doesn't fully guarantee memory compatibility. There is one issue with the list. Usually, it includes early versions of memory kits but later, many manufacturers are changing IC and related to that sub-timings. Brands like Corsair have multiple IC under the same PN but different revisions which you can't check before buying online. Even brands like G.Skill are using everything in their DDR4-3600 CL18-22-22 kits. It can be Micron, Hynix or lower binned Samsung. Patriot can have Hynix or Micron IC in their DDR4-3600 kits but both are pretty much the same. So QVL can be a reason for returning memory kit when it doesn't work but it never fully guarantees compatibility.
Another thing is that no matter if memory is on the QVL or not, if it's from well-known brand then in 95%+ cases works fine.

True Woomack, but it is the best thing we have to go against. As you said, most will work, but something on the list has a greater chance to. :)

I was testing Patriot Steel 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 on X570 and B550 motherboards and it was working fine. New Patriot memory kits are generally designed for AMD and Intel chipsets. As long as ASUS didn't fail the BIOS then all should be fine.

Btw. QVL doesn't fully guarantee memory compatibility. There is one issue with the list. Usually, it includes early versions of memory kits but later, many manufacturers are changing IC and related to that sub-timings. Brands like Corsair have multiple IC under the same PN but different revisions which you can't check before buying online. Even brands like G.Skill are using everything in their DDR4-3600 CL18-22-22 kits. It can be Micron, Hynix or lower binned Samsung. Patriot can have Hynix or Micron IC in their DDR4-3600 kits but both are pretty much the same. So QVL can be a reason for returning memory kit when it doesn't work but it never fully guarantees compatibility.
Another thing is that no matter if memory is on the QVL or not, if it's from well-known brand then in 95%+ cases works fine.

Thank you very much for the very informative reply.

Back