• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Glitch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fishcandy

Registered
I recently performed a fresh re-install of Vista 32 bit and (total) physical memory in Task Manager indicates 3.02 gigs available, but have 4 gigs installed. I know that a 32 bit OS has memory limits and utilizes roughly 70% of in place memory but thats why i believe a glitch may have occured because before the re-install the OS was showing 3.57 gigs of available memory. I made no changes in bios and everything loaded and started up without issue. Also, i installed both service packs (1&2) and have had close to 200 OS updates in the last few days.

My memory is "Patriot DDR3 @ 1600, 4 gigs. BTW the pc runs just fine and i wouldn't have known the difference in mem totals upon checking in Task Manager and DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Any ideas?

I'm not sure why or how 3.57GB was showing as available, but w/ the 32-bit version of Vista the max. amount of RAM that can be used by the system and app's is only 3.12GB.

I'm positively certain without doubt that my system indicated the 3.57 gigs when i installed the 4 gigs of mem several months ago. Perhaps that was the glitch initially after installing the mem by showing the 3.57 gigs in both Task Manager and Direct Diagnostics.

It's just a very odd occurance that i haven't seen before and to show up in two monitoring tools is strange, however, i can live with the 3 gigs until i upgrade to a 64 bit OS in the near future. Thanks

Back