• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory not listed on the Supported Memory list???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanAndesen

Registered
I am setting up all the software on my new rig and I came upon something which made me think, "oh no!"

I have the GA-Z170-Gaming K3 MB and on it I have G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400 16GB.
By chance I looked at the Memory supported list and I could not find my memory at all.
Should I double check with Gigabyte or did I make a wrong selection.
Also when I look at the APP Center from Gigabyte, using their SVI info App, the info on my memory says its PC17100(1066Mz).
It does state that it is DDR 4 and the GB is correct on both. Could this be an error in the SVI App or something much worse?

Okay, found how to set the XMP in EasyTune, but should I also change teh Memory Freq from the 21,33(2133), it is listed at, to 24 (2400)?

Don't set XMP in easytune.. I would be surprised if that worked, honestly. Set it (and everything you do that isn't fan control) through the BIOS.

XMP sets timings and memory speed bud! :)

Don't set XMP in easytune.. I would be surprised if that worked, honestly. Set it (and everything you do that isn't fan control) through the BIOS.

XMP sets timings and memory speed bud! :)

Umm, okay.
So I had already done so and when I went to check in the actual BIOS, then EasyTune must have worked as the profile was set correctly.
But even if it did work for me, I do trust that it is always a good idea, just to double check in the actual BIOS.
Though the SIV app still claims that the memory MHZ is only 1066, so I guess that is faulty when it comes to the memory readings.
The fan and temperature readings do seem correct, or at least I hope they are.

Those numbers on your screenshot don't change (well, maybe the dram freq ever so slightly).. but, that is right I would imagine. What does the SPD tab show for your sticks?

Also, in order to only get the active window in your screenshot, hit alt+prtscn then paste. Saves cropping a full screenshot. ;)

Those numbers on your screenshot don't change (well, maybe the dram freq ever so slightly).. but, that is right I would imagine. What does the SPD tab show for your sticks?

Also, in order to only get the active window in your screenshot, hit alt+prtscn then paste. Saves cropping a full screenshot. ;)

Well the NB data changes from like 799 to 3100, and thanks, didn't know of the alt+ thing :)
I wish I was back in the good ol' M.S. DOS days :)
cpuz_spd01.png

That's quite normal behavior. Your PC cycles up and down according to need. This way when idle it can conserve power.

I can set the XMP on my Giga mobo in Easy Tune. It reboots and holds the setting. A lot simpler than setting it manually in the BIOS and it works. :thup:

Though the SIV app still claims that the memory MHZ is only 1066

Double data rate. Multiply by two in CPU-Z. :) The Giga software will show the overall speed.

Last edited:
I can set the XMP on my Giga mobo in Easy Tune. It reboots and holds the setting. A lot simpler than setting it manually in the BIOS and it works. :thup:

Dual channel on the Z170 chipset. Multiply by two in CPU-Z. :) The Giga software will show the overall speed.

Dual channel has nothing to do with why you multiply memory frequency by two, it simply means the RAM is paired up.
DDR, short for Double Data Rate, is why memory frequency is doubled to get your DDR speed.

Back