• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory not recognized in BIOS/ OC issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_Omen1110

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and was hoping that you might be able to help. My BIOS is recognizing my RAM as 1333 instead of 1600. Though the box the RAM comes with makes no mention of the speed, it was listed on Newegg as 1600. I read on another thread that this can cause the system to become unstable and I'd like to fix it.

Another, possibly related issue, is that when I try to run the Turbo V EVO, an auto OC'er that came with my MOBO, I will get a message on the boot menu that the overclocked failed and that windows did not shut down properly! After starting windows normally, Turbo V tells me that it has successfully clocked the CPU at 4200 Mhz, up from 3.4. This worries me as I have no experience overclocking and would really rather run on the safe side.

Finally, what temps should I be reading? I played MWO all day yesterday and the CPU got up to about 52 C. I have read that below 70 is safe. Is this true?

Thanks for any and all help.

PC build:

Intel i5 3750k
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
NVIDIA GTX 560
ASUS P77-V LK MOBO
Samsung 120GB SSD
Diablotek 775W PSU
1x 140mm, 4x 120mm, 1x80mm case fans
ASUS DVD-RW drive

You can run that CPU up into the low 90s and be safe.

Most Intel platforms default the memory to 1333, you have to go and enable Intel XMP or manually set the speed and timings yourself.

P.S. Return that PSU and get another one. ASAP. Diablotek is known for making absolutely terrible PSUs.

Knufire, thanks for the good advice!

2 pieces of good news, and one of bad.

Found a FAQ on Intel XMP and successfully booted it! Running at DDR3 1600!

My fans are keeping my CPU and MOBO cool!

This PSU isn't modular, and will require a whole system teardown to replace!

Should I use my computer while the new PSU is coming?

It'll might be fine for a little bit, but I'd still replace it ASAP. I haven't seen a Diablotek PSU that could actually put out it's full rating without going bang. Only reason it hasn't yet is because you're running it significantly under the rating, it's probably drawing about 300W full load at sock.

Okay. Doing some probing under normal usage for temps and voltages. Turned off auto-oc'ing. Intend to get educated and do it manually anyway, as I read it was more stable.

Found a few PSU's at NewEgg. My original specs are above but ultimately, I'd like to upgrade my rig thusly:

i5 3570k
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
2x NVIDIA GTX 560 in SLI
ASUS P77-C LK MOBO
2x Samsung 120GB SSD (dual boot)
3-4x 1TB 7200RPM HDD
DVD-RW drive
1x140mm, 4x120mm, 1x80mm case fans
7-in-1 card reader

That said, I used NewEgg's PSU calculater dongle and came up with 750-800W. Is that about right? Should I go for 850W to be safe?

That calculator is ridiculously bad. 200W for an OCed 560 and 110W for an OCed 3570K (all overestimating slightly). Maybe 50W for the rest of the system. A good 650W is all you really need. Could do it on a 600W if you really wanted to.

Wow, that's good news, thanks! I came up with these two from NewEgg:

Thishighly rated 650W middling Seasonic, and
this 650W Rosewill, Gold certified. I know Rosewills have a hit-and-miss reputation; is this one OK?

Here's the review I made that judgement on, btw. Just in case you wanted further information: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=266

OklahomaWolf said:
Summary

With the Capstone 750W unit, Rosewill has become a brand name to take notice of. Gone are the days when the words "house brand" meant something like Deer or Powmax. This unit is efficient, powerful, and extremely well performing. It is as good as almost anything else out there I could name. I do wish it were at least semi-modular, and was a bit cheaper, but that's just about all it has going against it.

Here's the review I made that judgement on, btw. Just in case you wanted further information: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=266

After reading that review, I decided to get that one, instead. Rosewill now makes it with a modular design and is having a sale. Not too many reviews yet, but if it's like its predecessor, it should have those same quality components. The only thing that worries me is potentially shoddy build quality but, we shall see...

Back