• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory problems - ASUS A8N SLI Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hist30

Hi, Im new in this forum, first of all hi and thanks to everyone who is reading this.

I recently installed Win 7 x64 in my old Asus A8N SLI Premium based computer, i need more ram because i run many programs and also my processor is not very fast, is a 1 core 2GHz AMD.

I had two GEIL pc-3200 400MHz C3-8-4-4 dual channel sticks installed in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 when i used Win Xp x86, but since i now have Win7 i bought more memory, but bought two Patriot modules PSD1G400H and installed those in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 respectively. I have used the Patriot ones only even in Xp with no problem but when i install the four sticks and try to use the pc i got blue screens :rain:

I have BIOS 1009 installed and the auto config is as depicted in the pic

I would really appreciate any advice to configure the options

Thank you

Attachments

• auto.jpg
    auto.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 266
It happens that when you go beyond 2 memory modules you need to relax some timings. Looks like the mobo is already taking the memory down from 400MHz to 333MHz. Try manually setting timings to 3-8-4-4 (as specified on your GEIL memory for 400MHz) or even slower if that's the spec on Patriot.

Also, it would be helpful to run Memtest86+ with all 4 sticks and then with each brand pair separately (perhaps new or old set gone bad, or maybe a DRAM slot in the mobo is not good)

Btw, is your processor 64-bit?

thanks for the reply, i'll run memory test(s) with that maybe the problem can be solved, i'll run them and tell you whats going on

thanks for the 3-8-4-4 option, but when i put those and let the other options alone, at the windos's welcome screen i immediately receive a blue screen not even saying whats wrong, when i put 3-8-4-4 and put 1T the pc can boot but problems like the windows desktop manager closing and opening repetitively , and the marvell network component doesnt work at all persist :fight:

oh, and yes its an amd 64 bit processor, since this and the bad purchase of and asus monitor that doesnt has proper aspect ratio handling i think i'll have to buy another of everything ...different brand of course

Where do you put 1T?? My understanding is that 1T is to aggressive. If you want to pin point the problem -- start slowly and with as few components as possible. Make sure each step/component works and only then move onto the next one.
1st stick -> Memtest
2nd stick -> Memtest
3rd stick -> Memtest
4th stick ->Memtest
1st & 2nd sticks -> Memtest
3rd & 4th stick -> Memtest
1st through 4th sticks -> Memtest
1st stick -> Windows
etc.

oh i see, sorry i miss understood, i keep postponing doing that because of college but i'll try to do it this weekend

thanks for the steps, will do it like indicated

Back