• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

The bulldozers clocked higher with 2 sticks of ram. Does this still hold true with the Ryzen. I'm currently clocked at 4.1 Ghz running 2 8Gb sticks.I want to add 2 more. will this effect my OC?

It would be more likely you would need to lower the ram speed. It will depend on the RAM being used as well some plays a lot nicer than others. I can run 4x8 g.skill samsung based without too many issues at 3200 MHz and not really affect the OC. The OC can be affected by the ram speed however as higher spedd increases Infinity fabric speed which needs more V_Core

I'm only running my memory at 3000 Mhz. I'm trying to decide on replacing it with a 4 stick 3200 kit or just get 2 more 3000 sticks. I've always used Corsair memory and have never had an issue. Would there be a noticeable difference going to 3200 instead of 3000? I still have some V-core headroom and ample cooling.

Yea. I'm seeing 100% ram usage when playing DCS online in VR. All 11Gb of video ram is being used as well. I'm noticing short pauses in the game similar to what I used to get in the original Farcry game. That turned out to be a low ram issue. I think I had to add 1Gb of ram then for a grand total of 2 Gb. In another 10 year we'll be asking "Are you sure you need that terabyte of ram?"

If you have 16GB and its maxing it out, sounds like a poorly optimized game. Are you talking about Digital Combat Simulator, by the way? No idea what DCS is................

If it is, that is a HUUUUUUUUUGE world with a ton of shyte to render... so, it makes sense I guess. YOu can also turn settings down as well to mitigate the issue in the meantime I would image...

EDIT: If it is that game, its recommended settings are 16GB, minimum 8... What else do you have going on in your system? Is it the game using all that memory?

Last edited:
The cheapest route is getting two of the same. But in my experience Ryzen plays much better with Samsung "B" die especially once you start filling the slots. Proble with the Samsung is the cost typically %20 more than similar Hynix based sticks

Hey Dog! Turn down the settings? What??? I"m constantly trying to find ways to increase the settings. :D In fact there is one server I can't even play on unless I turn all my settings down to medium. Needless to say I don't play on that server. The Samsung Odyssey HMD uses a decent amount of ram as well. The Windows VR and Steam VR environments have to be loaded in order to play the game. Plus I use Teamspeak, Voice Attack, and the new DCS based communication service (can't remember what it's called right now). So there is a lot going on. I'm also building an Arduino based motion platform that will be needing some memory resources as well. I did have a fixed swap file size but kept getting the dreaded "low Memory" window popping up. I'm hoping that with 32Gb I can fix the swap file size again.

Johan, I've never concerned myself with the memory chip maker. Where can I find the information on determining whether or not it is Samsung chips?

See you in the sky! check out their forum too. It's a very robust community.

Hey Dog! Turn down the settings? What??? I"m constantly trying to find ways to increase the settings. :D In fact there is one server I can't even play on unless I turn all my settings down to medium. Needless to say I don't play on that server. The Samsung Odyssey HMD uses a decent amount of ram as well. The Windows VR and Steam VR environments have to be loaded in order to play the game. Plus I use Teamspeak, Voice Attack, and the new DCS based communication service (can't remember what it's called right now). So there is a lot going on. I'm also building an Arduino based motion platform that will be needing some memory resources as well. I did have a fixed swap file size but kept getting the dreaded "low Memory" window popping up. I'm hoping that with 32Gb I can fix the swap file size again.

Johan, I've never concerned myself with the memory chip maker. Where can I find the information on determining whether or not it is Samsung chips?

Typically anything over 3600 will be Sasung "B" die and 3200 CL14-14-14 or 15-15-15 anything lower speed like this with 16-18-18,15-17-17 timings are not samsung. I usually find the best prices for it at 3600-17-18-18 I have a couple of those kits and they run well with Ryzen 3466 CL16-16-16
That board should have some presets in the meory profiles for ease of use.

Last edited:
So I went ahead and ordered a pair of the same ones I have from Amazon. If it doesn't work I'll sent them back, sell the pair I have on Ebay, and order a 4 stick set of 3200. I've been reading about the memory I have and many people say that it tests out and runs great at 3200. I'm going to put the screws to it now.

I've never OCed memory before but the Ryzen loves fast memory from what I understand now. I'm hitting a OC wall at 3066Mhz at the recommended XMP settings. Anything higher and I start getting errors in Memtest64. There are so many options for memory control in the C6H BIOS that I am totally lost. The 2 matching sticks will be here today so I will Memtest those as well. I will probably start a new thread on this in the appropriate Forum so as not to pollute this one with a memory thread.

Check in the memory section for presets. I don't know if it has anything for Hynix but I think it does, set up by the Stilt. Just set defaults before using the presets. I find Ryzen, in general, isn't keen on big changes to memory and will usually fail to boot.

Back